Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pill Query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so i have been on the pill for over a year now (Microgynon 30), and on a few occasions i have run packets together which i know is safe to do, i also heard it is ok to shorten your beaks of the pill, ie not have a full 7 day break, apperently.

So my question is Would it be ok to have 2 or 3 days without taking a pill after finishing a packet and then start another packet of pills, ie will i be protected, now i was wondering because what is so special about the 7 day break, and when you miss a pill normally you are told to use back up cotraception for 7 days so why would this not be the case now.
What is so special about 21 pills as oppesed to 15 pills or 35 pills and the 7 day break as opposed to a 3 day one.

So basically i think what i am trying to say is Can i shorten my break to being 3 days without taking a pill, and will i then be protected, or if not will i have to use back up contraception and treat it like a missed pill?

Thanks, i'm normally good with this kind of stuff :p

Comments

• Options
    Re: Re: Pill Query
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby

Or are you saying you only want to take a 3 day break instead of 7

Yeah thats what i mean, take a full 21 pills out of the packet, have a 3 day break and then go on to take another full 21 pills.
  • Options
    It wouldn't shorten your period so there isn't really any point. After you take your last pill it takes 2-3 days for the bleeding to commence and your system will get rid of it all regardless of whether you begin to take your pill again. If you don't want a period then run the packs together as you've been doing.

It is generally advised that you only run three packs together at a time though.
  • Options
    I've never heard of anyone doing this before. To be safe, I think you should talk to your GP before doing it. Or you could call one of the following:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023
    www.brook.org.uk

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk