Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Japanese Menu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my Boat Party is coming up this weekend but before the boat sets sail we're going to provide some people with a Japanese Style Meal in a nearby place owned by a friend of mine.

He's going to handle the main dishes but I want to also make sure there's snacks and dessert.

I'd like to stick to the oriental theme if possible.

Anyone got any suggestions not just of dishes but where to buy them from.

Like those Walkers Thai Bites are yummy

And you can buy little sushi type things in supermarkets

Not sure about Japanese Desserts though .. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Japanese desserts aren't lovely, in my experience :p. But anyway, will you be preparing them yourself or would you prefer a simple -take out of the wrapper- solution? Because any supermarket normally does different cultured cuisines now. Check out here if you fancy having a go yourself though, I just looked up 'Japanese Desserts' in google. It can do wonders ;)
  • Options
    try rose water ice.....really easy to make and lovely. i'll add the recipe when i find it.
  • Options
    There are little chocolate covered sticks called Micado or something, they are nice.
  • Options
    Mango & lemon grass syrup
    serves 4

2 large ripe mangos
    1 lime
    1 lemon grass stalk, chopped
    3 tbsp caster sugar

1. halve, stone, and peel mangos

2. slice into long thin strips and arrange. sprinkle with lime zest.

3. squeeze lime, and put together with the lemon grass and sugar in a pan. heat gentle, but don't let it boil. do this until the sugar is disolved. remove from heat and let cool completely.

4. drain the syrup and pour over the mango

5. chill this well before serving.

Rose ice
    serves 4

400 ml water
    2 tbsp coconut cream
    4 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
    2 tsp rose water
    4 drops of pink food colouring (optional)
    pink rose petals (optional)

1 pour water into a small pan with the coconut cream, heat gently without boiling stiring constantly.

2 remove from heat and allow to cool. stir in condensed milk, rose water and food colouring.

3 pour into a frezzer proof container and frezze for an 1-1 1/2 hours, until slushy.

4. remove from the frezzer and break up with a fork. return to frezzer until firm.

5 serve with rose petals

these are both thai recipes that a friend gave me, hope they are ok. pm me if you want more.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys...

I just got back from a huge SAinburys and Tesco and thought one of them would do Sushi, couldn't find any anywhere!!!

My friend will handle the main courses, etc just need some bites!!!