Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Any Ebay Tips?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all,

Am a newbie to ebay, just buying at the moment, does anyone have any tips for success?

Comments

• Options
    bid towards the end?
  • Options
    Check comments left from other people, lets you know wether they are good ebayers.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    best eBay tip ever - Don't use it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    best eBay tip ever - Don't use it.

and why might that be?

if you buy something and you dont receive it, its not ebays fault, its the sellers / and or yours
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    and why might that be?

if you buy something and you dont receive it, its not ebays fault, its the sellers / and or yours

deffinately if ebay is used correctly then its great, you just have to be sensible, for example dont buy a thousand pound computer off a newly registered user.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by jake0
    and why might that be?

Because its pants :)
  • Options
    i bought some quality stuff of it, you just have to make sure the person selling the item is not going to fuck you up the ass. apart from that everything is sweeeet :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by David Grohl
    i bought some quality stuff of it, you just have to make sure the person selling the item is not going to fuck you up the ass. apart from that everything is sweeeet :D

What've you bought off ebay? sorry, i'm being nosey now :naughty:
  • Options
    i bought a couple of videos that i couldnt find anywere else and a few foo fighters cd singles i couldnt get my hand on. its handy if you can find stuff your interested in, theres lots of over priced crap on it though.
  • Options
    But surely mr Grohl your record company would have copies for you? man they must be stingey! hehe!

My tip is look at their community boards-like here full of advice and excellent if you are new as they can give you some tips too! Also I like them as I like messageboards!

Try to buy a few things before you sell-just so you can show you are a good ebayer! I did!

Don't worry about non paying bidders or sellers that take your money as ebay do have a good policy-just make sure you look at their rules regarding them!

And yep-check feedback and also watch what the p&p is!

Have fun!

Oh and if you find yourself bidding on things you don't want after an initial "oooh look" bid, just put them on watch-so yi get the "got something" high without the commitment-that way you can kinda keep theauction cost down too-as if you bid late theres less chance of being outbid so paying more!

Anyways I could type all night so I'll leave it here!
  • Options
    look at the item, decide on the top limit of what you will pay. Bid that and don't bid again.
  • Options
    My tips are -

If selling, sell offering paypal for payment.

If buying, check the feedback of the person doing the selling. Stay away from people with lots of bad feedback.

If you're selling, put your auction up to end at a weekend in the evening.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    look at the item, decide on the top limit of what you will pay. Bid that and don't bid again.

its a good idea as ebay automatically increases your bid just to outdo the person who bidded, its really clever. i think it works really well, save you going back and refreshing every 2 secs to see if someone out bid you
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V

:yes: thats what I do. No last minute bidding for me!
  • Options
    Leave your bids until about 1 minute before the end. I won a bidding war by bidding on an item which had 10 seconds to go hehe.

ebay is great for things like accesories for PCs, cameras e.t.c and it's great for other electrical equipment.
    Not so great for stuff that will always be expensive.

Great if you're looking for a soul as well
  • Options
    you can pick up some really cheap things off of ebay if you leave your bidding to the last minute. Ive picked up some really cheap things by bidding in at the last second