Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jobs in shops, where do they advertise?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The title says it all really. I've just worked out that my only prospect for a job which will pay the bills while I look for something better is one in a shop as that is all I have experience in (in jobs which I could get with my qualifications anyway...). So, any ideas? My two other shops jobs I found through people I knew... I'm not going to be that lucky again.

Comments

• Options
    most just put a sign in the window.

print yourself off a load of CVs, trot around town and go into every shop you like the look of (sign or no sign) asking if they're looking for staff.

it's tedious, but it gets results.
  • Options
    Cool, was thinking of doing that, good to know it actually works, thanks :D
  • Options
    Yeah, my usual tactic is just to print off loads of CVs, go through the yellow pages looking for local shops and mailing copies of my CV there, as well as a letter saying when I'm available to work etc. Last time I did that I sent six letters and got two responses, so it does work. I think most shops get so many people sending in CVs etc. that they probably don't need to advertise for jobs anyway.
  • Options
    I find that local papers (not free ones) usually have a few shop vacancies in them.
    When I applied for Tesco I just went in and asked for an application form. Can take a long time to get these job as they are the most popular job amongst students and school leavers.
  • Options
    I guess my advantage over students is that I'm wanting something full time... Anyway, did the whole going round shops with my CV thing today... pretty successful, got a few application forms and a few took my CV and said they'd ring me... I'm hoping something will come out of it... :nervous: