Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

GetRight Downloader, Problem.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody got much experience with the Getright Downloader?
I've made quite a few succesful downloads with it now. No problems with it. ...Until the other day.
I was downloading the WinXP Service Pack 2 from Microsoft. Left it downloading overnight as usual, and when I came back to it it seems to have just stopped moments before the download is complete. Well, that's what it looks like becuase the file is the right size, but it's still showing as an incomplete GetRight download. I try to resume it and it asks me for the URL. Even when I've put that in it still doesn't continue the download. :( It's just stuck at 266MB, and won't complete it. :(
I've downloaded other files with it since then, but just can't complete the Service Pack 2 download. Anybody know what the problem is?

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    not a clue, may be worth your while canceling it and restarting it.
  • Options
    its not the download as i managed it ok with get right

though i did download it in about 2 hours
  • Options
    Sorry to hi--jack your thread, how did you get SP2? I went to the Micr$cum site and it says i neeed to do it thru updates, i got all that sorted but its just not working! Nothing i d/L!

Bopz
  • Options
    the 80meg update that will come through automatic updates or through windowsupdate.com is just what your computer will need

if you go to the windows website in the xp section youcan download the 260meg [roughly] sized full network admin install which has everything your computer will conceivably need

once you had installed the service pack you can easily delete the large file
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    its not the download as i managed it ok with get right

though i did download it in about 2 hours
    I've tried it twice with GetRight now, and the same result each time. It seems to have downloaded it (going by the filesize), but it's still showing as an incomplete GetRight download, and I can't resume it to finish it. :mad:
    I think I'll just have to go back to GoZilla. Ok, it's got some spyware in it, but it's functioned flawlessly for me every time. Go figure. *shrugs*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Sorry to hi--jack your thread, how did you get SP2? I went to the Micr$cum site and it says i neeed to do it thru updates, i got all that sorted but its just not working! Nothing i d/L!

Bopz

i can accept Micro$oft

but dont use Micro$cum unless you are fully distanced from usage of windows, you went to a ms site looking for SP2, so you use windows?

yeh they seem to have problems, but my system is pretty stable, does what i want, the only reason hackers attack the windows platform is because its the most widely used, not MS' fault, they have security holes, but they patch them, and most of them dont really apply if you have a vague bit of common sense when it comes to security

dont whine about things not working unless they really dont work? and have of the people around here who exclusively use windows should try their hand using a linux derivative, yes they would have to learn how to do so