Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Female Rock Groups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Some friends of mine and my lovely self are to become a female rock group. We have the look and the talent but girl groups are always taken less seriously and they have more to prove. What do you guys think of the idea of an all female rock group? Think Guns N Roses/Nirvana.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think this is in the wrong forum.
    Oh and i don't really think anything of them.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! My confidence is on the up now! Lol. I guess everyone has a different opinion but im eager to know if this is how everyone feels. I agree some female rock groups are wank but not all of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lolita
    Thanks guys! My confidence is on the up now! Lol. I guess everyone has a different opinion but im eager to know if this is how everyone feels. I agree some female rock groups are wank but not all of them.

It would really help if you deleted it & put it in entertainment.
    i am not meaning to be picky but you wont get all respond here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Ah come on we're only teasing..

you're best bet would be to delete this thread and make a new one in the entertainment section!

You'll get a better response there and I'll even give a sensible opinion :p

I was already typing then heh
  • Options
    yeah thanks guys. That would make sense. All this new technology confuses me. Hopefully your opinions would be constructive then? lol. Cant wait.
  • Options
    and now for the answer you wanted.....

you'll probably find it harder to gain as much credibility in the early days of your band. and maybe seen as a novelty act or something like that. But its worth a try, cuz if you do form a good band, then people will take note of you cuz of being an all female band. btw - not being sexist or anything, thats just the way it is.

I think its a good idea, and if you want to do it, don't let any doubters stand in your way.
  • Options
    It really dpeneds on how good you are I'd think. Don't try and be all gimmicky, leather-clad female version of GnR. It just wouldn't work, people would laugh.

Kittie are the only female rock band that I even remotely like, others just don't get taken seriously. Fuck knows why.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    Kittie are the only female rock band that I even remotely like, others just don't get taken seriously. Fuck knows why.
    :yes: Although I do quite like Sleater-Kinney - for a girl rock group they've been quite successful in the US. It's a shame but it's a bit of a boys' world. Even female singers in mostly-boy bands like the girl from Ash or Karen White are rare.
  • Options
    i agree, the only all female rock bands i've seen work well are kittie and hole (hole was all female right?). but female fronted bands (think the distillers) can often work. but you ave to be even been than the guys because we are put up to much higher standards....you have to have something unique to show if you are gonna get past the crappy male bands- i'm not being sexist, i'm just saying that the female groups that stay around or usally very good, compared to the amount of not that great male bands. oh and another tip....get a good name, not like bitch alert....that name puts me off the band, girly trying to but rriot grrlls but seriously not getting there. hope that helps.
  • Options
    And now for the answer that you didn't want...

I can't see myself appreciating an all female rock group anywhere near as much as a male rock group. There are no deadly popular all-female rock groups, and I don't think a female voice would much suit.
  • Options
    Personally I like the voice of females better than men. But I do think that the best chemistry and results are with a female lead and male musicians.
    Go for it though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Personally I like the voice of females better than men. But I do think that the best chemistry and results are with a female lead and male musicians.
    Go for it though.

Haha. You would think that though. ;p

That is by far not the best chemistry, as is shown by nearly every band in the world ever.

Female voices are OK when in bands such as The Pixies, but a female lead? No, no, no. I haven't heard many women with a good rock voice.
  • Options
    Go for it.

Personally I really dislike female voices singing but that's my personal opinion.

I'm sure it will take more for you to be taken seriously, but it would be worth the effort, and there is a niche market for female fronted bands.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Haha. You would think that though. ;p

That is by far not the best chemistry, as is shown by nearly every band in the world ever.

Female voices are OK when in bands such as The Pixies, but a female lead? No, no, no. I haven't heard many women with a good rock voice.

Skin from Skunk Anansie pwns you! So shut up :mad:
  • Options
    Debbie Harry not only a good rock voice but probably the biggest selling White female rapper ever to this day!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Debbie Harry not only a good rock voice but probably the biggest selling White female rapper ever to this day!

I love her!!!

She has this Goddess feel about her, while the guys in the band are totally down to earth.
  • Options
    I dont like all-chick rock bands. I dont know why, I just dont. I dont even like girls being in bands. Like that chick in Ash (incidentally, i hate Ash)...it just comes across as though she is there as the "token female". Females on lead vocals can be okay, i dont have a problem with that...

Yes yes, its wrong and sexist, but whatever. I dont like it, and never have.
  • Options
    Kittie, Otep and Arch Enemy. Nuff said. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Skin from Skunk Anansie pwns you! So shut up :mad:

They must do, considering I've never heard of them. Go listen to some Kings of Leon. ;p
  • Options
    check this person out, she's pretty good if you like evanescence n stuff like that.

alex bach . com
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Arch Enemy. Nuff said. :)

So true, saw them live at Download, What a voice, was well impressed:yes:
  • Options
    There aren't many popular female rock bands, but there have been some good ones in the past. There have been a few great female rock singers though, like Suzi Quatro and as someone else said, Debbie Harry. Just be yourselves, write good music and perform anywhere that will have you, and you've got a good chance of being taken seriously as a rock band.
  • Options
    Originally posted by someone earlier on
    Hole

There was a bloke in Hole. Eric Erlansdon I think his name was.