Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sith form choices and activites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi Guys; already stuck this on one board, before realising this board wasn't just for uni peeps.

I’m 16 years old (waiting for GCSE results on the 26th!) am predicted pretty good grades- 11 ranging from A*s to B’s. Next year I’ve signed up to do 6 Unit Vocation Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology and General studies. Having concerns it might not be enough- but have big plans to continue and begin lots of voluntary work including plenty in my church, proofreading which I hope to start soon (voluntary on the do-it website) and I hope to be working at least in holidays in a nursery or crèche; I’m also looking into doing an NVQ if I do get a suitable Childcare job and definitely a recognised first aid course or two. I’ve also applied to become a volunteer at the hospital but they aren’t processing applications at the moment and I’m underage to be working in the maternity unit.

So two things:

I was at the doctors the other day and saw a poster up about well baby clinics which reminded me about something that a teacher mentioned to me when I was considering college rather than 6th form: she suggested volunteering there. I’ve since found out it will be entirely dependant on my timetable as it is only held for an our on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month (but there may be other alternatives- just a bus ride away…) I am just composing a letter to the person in charge to ask if it might be a possibility or not- any body done this before/run a well baby (or similar clinic) or in a medical profession and have an opinion on it or a mum/dad and have an opinion on this? I’m not sure how it could work- that would be up to the person in charge- as to whether it might be observing/helping/regular/irregular etc

Do you think that’s enough at A level? Because I really want to enjoy what I do and get good grades; I plan (at the moment) to become a midwife. The alternatives are nursery nursing, teaching; youth work things like that really. We also get the opportunity to do the European Computer Driving License and ‘paired reading’ (more voluntary work in school) and of course I hope to be working in the holidays (once I’m 17, in Feb as this seems to be a legal requirement for working with children) and learning to drive at some point. What do you think?

Thanks- any advice/past experience/etc etc etc would be appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats with all the volentering! (sp) Ok give some off your time if you want to, but i think you've been sucked into the world of sixth form is an open learning place, cos' it's not. Its just like school, the hours suck, the work gets harder and all the people that made school intresting drop out or get kicked out coss' they didnt do well enough for A-levels.

By all means volenteer but you are there to study, and maybe you should be doing more of that.

Bopz
    Hi ya, thanks for your reply. I do understand where you are coming from; but I was on the verge of not doing 6th form at all and simply doing an NVQ (or similar) type qualfication.

At school a lot of people are taking on 4 Standard A levels plus General Studies. So taking on just 2 A levels, plus one vocational and general studies is considerably less than the majority of pupils (with similar predicted grades to me) will be doing: hence the time they will be studying for their extra A level I will try to dedicate at least half of that to something productive (i.e work experience/voluntering)

My main concern is that it wont be enough as in the number of A levels I'm actually taking. Am going to hav to look into doing that CACHE award I think- as it seems to be on the UCAS points table.
    doing 3 AS and GS isnt that bad, just do what you can handle, personally id take a variety of subject
    Re: Sith form choices and activites
    Originally posted by notebookkt
    Next year I’ve signed up to do 6 Unit Vocation Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology and General studies.

That's plenty enough to keep you going!

I've just done 6 unit AVCE Health and Social Care, and you'll probably know there's a lot of work to do. I did 3 pieces of coursework.

I've also done A-level Sociology too, though I really liked that.

You should concentrate on your studies really. Though if you want to volunteer, go for it. Just think you should put your work first.
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    doing 3 AS and GS isnt that bad, just do what you can handle, personally id take a variety of subject

An AVCE is an a-level in a year. So really it's like doing 2 AS levels. It takes up 2 lessons worth of time on your time table. Least it did for me, and I can't see that not being the case.
    My 6 units is going to take up one AS block- everyone else at my school is doing the Double award; I asked to do the 6 units so that I could combine it with pyschology. Also general studies will only be taking up 2 X 50 mins periods every two weeks.

So basically there will be people at school predicted to achieve lower GCSE grades than me doing 4 A levels plus General Studies. Thats my basic motivation to keep busy!!
    Originally posted by notebookkt
    My 6 units is going to take up one AS block- everyone else at my school is doing the Double award; I asked to do the 6 units so that I could combine it with pyschology.

So the people who are doing the double award are doing the 12 unit which is 2 a-levels in a year? :confused: