Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

grr a work rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apologies if this is in the wrong place or unsuitable but I'm cheesed off with my work who seem to be too tied up in bureachracy and tape to care about staff-no payrise this year for example and we got told off for keeping our locker keys when there aren't enough for us

Well I can't find my post about no payrise but as I am seriously
Now altogether in the last 12 months I've only been absent for 35 hours. But as that is seven different occasions they don't take into account the so few hours it is. There are people who have that in a week. For me on average I do 20 hours a week ( more than contracted as they need me) so its not even 2 weeks off.

But 7 absences is a sackable offence. f**k them! They can't as I have to have a written and verbal warning and a further thing before that (that would mean another three absences before october too ) so I know I won't be sacked but the thing is I'm so cheesed off that they make out I'm the worst employee ever when I never do anything wrong for them!

I mean I had a bad neck at xmas-i couldn't even turn my head or lift my arms so I couldn't work-I had one day off and when I did my return to work, I was actually ill with a virus that left me with no voice at all so I even went in then. Yet that doesn't get taken into account.

I have a mate there who is on sick pay but still working her other job-getting full 39 hr sick pay a week-yet she isnt the one in trouble.

They don't realise I work in a hi risk place with bacteria like ecoli and stuff and as I wanna work in food safety I should know that you can't work with food if you have d&v! I wouldnt for the sake of the company as they could be sued if I passed my bug on.

I couldn't work when I had my chest infection-i'd have sounded like a heavy breather. I have proof of illnesses in my doctors notes but they said we aren't disputing the fact that you were ill-so if they aren't the why the hassle? If the y know I was ill then what are they telling me off about?!

Staff morale is at all time low-my mate has just quit as he says he can't take it anymore. Its so sad that a company making so much money treats its workers like peasents.

Anyways I had to rant as its annoying. I'm not worried bout getting sacked and couldn't give two flying f**ks about getting a blooomin warning-I'm just mad about how unfair the place is that I get this treatment for the few hours that I did have off and after I followed all of the correct procedures.

Afterall the extra hours I do for them at short notice-working in the same fleece for 4 1/2 months and they can't even get me a new one-yet I;m the one in trouble. Pah! what a pathetic company.

Sainsbury's-making life taste bitter.

Comments

• Options
    I didn't even read it, just looked at it, out of it.
  • Options
    I can't really help with you, only empathise.

As a fellow supermarket worker, I know what it's like.

They've introduced a new system whereby even if you can't do an overtime shift you've put your name down for, you have to have a 'return to work' meeting. It doesn't actually go down on your absence though.

My friend's been suffering with terrible panic attacks and had a fair bit of time off work 'cause of it. And yes, she got a warning about her attendance.

Unrelated, but where I work they have this thing called queue length on the tills. A prompt comes up every 15 minutes and we have to put in how many customers we've got in our queue. If they fail this (the one in front rule), they make us feel like it's our fault! However we're meant to help customers in every way we can.

Grr!
  • Options
    lol we have the same at our store too! Eventually we got used to it but it was a pain and alot of people kept putting 0 to get rid of it! the same goes with the overtime-alot of us now scribble over our names so it can't be seen at all who it was.

I do hate the fact that we get treated like complete thickos as we work at a supermarket-even tho most of us youngsters are uni students. Still its an easy job-i sit down all day chatting and if i work in petrol I get free cake! yep! so its not all bad-just the whole burearcracy-dam i really can't spell that word!

Shogun-sorry but I had to rant and get it out of my system by typing it out-better here than me being moody at home with my family!
  • Options
    I have a friend that works at Sainsburys and she says it sucks, she said they are threatened with "disciplinary action" all the time. She's on the larger size and when she started there they didn't have a pair of trousers big enough for her. So she wore a pair of smart black ones from home. She was given a verbal warning for this, even though it was their fault she was wearing them as they hadn't bothered to order a uniform in!
  • Options
    Do you mean absences as in sick leave? Then 7 in a year is supposed to be average.

If not, does absence mean unauthorised absence?

Is it right to say 7/year is about average for sick leave?
  • Options
    monserrat-yep they are all sick ones-and I went to the docs for all the ones that weren't sick bugs.

Anyway I had my "verbal warning" today. All the boss said was "i am issuing you with a verbal warning" there was no more to it. Its so sad-I mean it means nothing to me-Trouble is I have no respect for the company so I don't care-i'm like a naughty school kid!

Joolyknockers-I've had similar-i waited 6months for a new skirt-it was 4 yrs old and had a hole in a very revealing place. So I got some navy blue smart trews. Surprising how quickly my uniform arrived when I said I had to wear them until I got new uniform!

Still my fleece is 4 1/2 yrs old-full of holes, threadbare on the arms and has a fag burn (not mine) in it-yet every month I order a new one-for the past 2 yrs and has it arrived? no! So at my displinary today I told them I would be less likely to be ill in winter if I had a new fleece-so maybe I will get one.

Oh this is the fleece that a customer who was fitting was sick on-that I had to take home to be cleaned myslf and still wear it. Such a good company to work for-I'm sure we will be in the sunday times top 100 companys next yr-hmm yeh

ok rant over-just get annoyed at them easily esp when I do lotsa stuff for them!
  • Options
    well you wouldn't belive it-the very next day after getting my verbal warning the (unaware of anything happened to me) store manager told me I had won the mystery shoppers exceptional customer service certificate and they had sent me a gift voucher (worth £10!!)-so thats like an "up yours" to the nasty personnel cow who thinks I'm the worst employeee ever-the mystery shopper says I'm the best (ok out of the staff who were there but still!!!)

So yay for me and all that!
  • Options
    nice one. now you should get a better paid job and walk out to really piss them off.

Ok, not really, but it's a nice idea!:D
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Couldnt be much more different here. Record profits, high morale and international awards. Morale at an all time high just about.

What looking after the staff does...