Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Checking AOL mail

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
Okay, I use NTL as my ISP but I still hang on to AOL's email because of their brilliant spam-filtering. It's worth paying £5/month for a clean inbox. Gone are the days of their bloated software, as I now use the online email using Explorer/Mozilla on a cable connection.

Logging in/out of the webmail takes 1-2 minutes. Now that I've discovered Trillian Messenger, it notifies me when I have new email waiting for me. The coloured icons (yellow for AOL and blue for MSN) will change to a letterbox/envolope symbol when there's new mail.

Is there a system tray utility out there that simply checks for new AOL mail? It doesn't has to read it for me... merely checks the presence of unread mail so that I can log into webmail at the right time.

Any pointers much appreciated.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i pay £8.28 a year, 69p a month for 5 pop3 email boxes and virus/spam protection which is very good

all i did was buy a domain for £1.99 a year [min two years]

you also can access your account through the web as well
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Re: Checking AOL mail
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Is there a system tray utility out there that simply checks for new AOL mail? It doesn't has to read it for me... merely checks the presence of unread mail so that I can log into webmail at the right time.

AIM, or AOL Instant Messenger as its known. www.aol.co.uk/aim

it brings up your AOL buddy list and you can check your mail with it.

Yarr!