Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Almost dead

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the nearest you've ever come to death?

Mine would be when I was born. Cord got wrapped round my neck, and I was really close to dying seeing as I was premature anyway.

Next.

Comments

• Options
    Ive drunk so much that I felt like I was dying if that counts
  • Options
    i would say theres a few times i have potentially come close to been injured to the point of been close to death, otherwise ive just hurt myself really badly alot and in real bad ways but easily lived to tell the tale
  • Options
    My overdose I think. That or drinking alcohol to the point where I was hospitalised.:crazyeyes

Bit of a morbid subject isn't it Bri? :p
  • Options
    my brothers threw me in the outdoor pool when we were in spain, caught my head on the concrete side but they didnt realise and i tried to get out but wherever i swam to they put this blow up boat thing there so i couldn't get out, was under there quite along time before they noticed my head was bleeding and that i couldnt breathe...
  • Options
    I've been hospitalized a few times with alcohol poisining (sp?) Thats probably the closest. Though I feel like death is right at hand when I ride along with my friend driving down the tollway nearing downtown. That is the scariest experience. And no matter how many times we do it, the fright and fear of death never leave.
  • Options
    The car crashes I've been in were pretty bad
  • Options
    I've probably had quite a few near-death experiences, I just don't know about them.

When I was little I was walking along a wall on an ocean-cliffside. I slipped & almost fell into the rocks and crashing waves below, but was caught before anything tragic happened. Luckylucky.

I've had some bad experiences with alcohol too, I'm sure I would have gotten myself killed if i wasn't such a lucky bastard. I have been stupid/drunk enough to get into cars with 2 strangers & anything could of happened. I thought they were taxis, okkkaaay.

Someone also pushed me out a window, I fell head first onto the concrete below & you could hear this huge crack. They all thought I'd been killed. Hah. But then I got up after 10 minutes and started dancing around again. :eek2:

So I have never been properly 'omg, i almost died', but i'm getting closer as each day goes by.
  • Options
    I've had two big car crashes that almost wiped me out.

Tractor pulled out in front on me once on a dual-carriageway and I ran up the arse of him at about 50mph. Thankfully the way I hit him I slowed down instead of coming to a grinding halt.

Other major crash happened a few years back when I was driving to work. On a twisting country road (that I had driven a million times before and knew like the back of my hand) and drove round a right-hand bend to find an artic lorry on the wrong side of the road on the bend overtaking a workie van. Nearly shit my pants. I couldn't stay on my side of the road or go on the other cause of the parked van. Thankfully there was a slip of grass on the side of the road before the stone dyke wall so used that as an escape route. Then I hit the wall, hit the side of the artic, then the wall again then stopped. Again was lucky there was no full on front impact or I wouldn't be typing this.

Got some nice compensation claims though. :D
  • Options
    I don't think I have really, not that I know of anyway.
  • Options
    When I was first born my kidneys didnt work for a while, that could have been nasty, then they just kicked in.

When I OD'd that was pretty close, my mrs said I stopped breathing a few times.
  • Options
    I'm happy to report that I have never been close to death.

I'm disgustingly healthy. I've never had a serious accident, I've never been seriously ill, I've never even broken a bone.
  • Options
    Bee/wasp/hornet sting Miffy?
  • Options
    I havent broken a bone either and I hadnt had antibiotics till I was 14.

I've never spent a night in hospital after leaving it as a baby.

And I'm virtually never ill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Bee/wasp/hornet sting Miffy?

No... um, I've been stung by a stinging nettle, but I doubt you could count that as "close to death" lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    My overdose I think. That or drinking alcohol to the point where I was hospitalised.:crazyeyes

Bit of a morbid subject isn't it Bri? :p

What did you OD on? If you dont mind me asking.
  • Options
    well, i've never been close to death :)
    the worst thing i've done is broken my arm. i've never had to stay in hospital overnight or anything!
  • Options
    Never really had a near death experience. Never broken a bone *touching wood here* although i'm pretty sure that its a foregone conclusion i'm likely to if i carry on horse riding.

Nearest i've come to being properly ill is when i'd had about 1 litre of cheap cider and someone had been feeding me with spliffs. I was ko'd completely and fell and smashed my head on a fireplace. Luckily i'm a hardy bastard and didn't need to go to hospital. Phew try explaining that to the rents when you're 15.
  • Options
    This one time at band camp I got knocked on the head with a flute......... :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    stereotype.

Love that word!
  • Options
    My pointless, youthful attempts to end it all.

I can't believe I was such a stereotype.

My mrs once had a good go at it too, scary how many people I know who did try actually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    My mrs once had a good go at it too,

I had to smerk at that... :eek2:
  • Options
  • Options
    My pointless, youthful attempts to end it all.

I can't believe I was such a stereotype.

heh. i think we all were.

other than that, it's every time i get in the car with my brother. or the other day when i choked on a sun lolly. couldn't breathe for a minute or so, but the great thing about choking on frozen things is that eventually they melt. scared the shit out of mr. kaff though... and me, for that matter.
  • Options
    Yeah closest I was to death was when I was being born... had 'flu, jaundice and was premature, and my mum was put in the miscarriage ward as they were pretty sure I wasn't going to make it.

Somehow I did... only to nearly kill myself on a quadbike when I was 12 - I rolled it after going round a corner too fast, and was pinned under with lots of leaking petrol. It was the furthest point of the course, so I was stuck there for a minute or two. Had it caught fire, kaboom... All I got was a few scratches and a dead leg in the end.

So yeah those two times were probably the closest.
  • Options
    oooh I forgot about the time when I was about 12, I wouldnt have died but it was still scary. I was skiing and my skis got caught in a snow hill and I went flying and landed really badly. They thought I'd broken my back. I had to be air lifted off the mountain.
  • Options
    When I was younger I went kayaking with snow all around and got trapped under the canoe.

Also a van hit a car about seven feet in front of me... a few more steps and I woulda been crushed. That was In March i think.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hm... Once a car stopped just centimeters away from hitting me (my fault). Other than that, I used to get the flu very often, and some times it was pretty bad, but it might have been just my family overreacting.
    There was also a time when I was thinking about jumping from the balcony or something, but it didn't last for more than a day, IIRC.
  • Options
    Hmmm when I was baby me mum told, they had me laying on this bean bag we use to have and just as me dad went to pick me up a mirror that was hanging on the wall fell onto the bean bag - No guarantees I would have died. But that's the closest... I think :confused:
  • Options
    Mine was when I crashed head on into a tree at about 30MPH - hurt like hell once the adrenaline stopped rushing! :)