Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bad language

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do people use so much bad language these days?

Just about every conversation I seem to have is littered with bad language and looking through old texts it's the same.

It's quite bad on here too.

It can be quite offensive at times, and it's not like there aren't enough suitable alternatives.

:mad:

Comments

• Options
    Re: Bad language
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Why do people use so much bad language these days?

Just about every conversation I seem to have is littered with bad language and looking through old texts it's the same.

It's quite bad on here too.

It can be quite offensive at times, and it's not like there aren't enough suitable alternatives.

:mad:

That av is the shittest. Ever.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Bad language
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    That av is the shittest. Ever.

Perfect example of where a more articulate response can be applied.

Instead of using the term 'shittest', on can use a wide range of terms such as
    1. most appaling
    2. most unentertaining
    3. clearly rubbish
    4. most boring
    5. etc

Of course the sentance would have to be re-worded for grammatical stability.

I see your point mate. I don't deny that I swear, but I try to restrict it, sometimes unsuccesfully, to times and places where I desire effect, not just because I can't be bothered to think of a more appropriate and more articulate word.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Bad language
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Perfect example of where a more articulate response can be applied.

Sigh, why do you think I said it? People like you should have their eyes poked out with a fork.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    you sometimes use bad language alot when your annoyed.

I rarely swear, and in any case - I was talking about society in general :razz:

I suppose it's just laziness really.
  • Options
    I find nowadays I don't use so much bad language due to seeing no need for it. But when I get with certain people then my language does get worse.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad language
    Sigh, why do you think I said it? People like you should have their eyes poked out with a fork.

Please, take in the sardonic tone of my reply, and bear in mind that torture should involve pain, and therefore eyes should be removed with spoons.
  • Options
    I use rotten language because either, my vocabulary is very limited and shitty, ass and the such are the only adjectives I can think of or words like fuck, fucking ect that I use more as a space filler. Much like somebody would use ummm.
  • Options
    Its just not fucking good enough. People these days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    I use rotten language because either, my vocabulary is very limited and shitty, ass and the such are the only adjectives I can think of or words like fuck, fucking ect that I use more as a space filler. Much like somebody would use ummm.

That makes sense. But to increase your vocabulary, that's if it annoys you enough, I suggest reading some books, things that are inclined to use words that you wouldn't in your daily conversations.
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    Its just not fucking good enough. People these days.

It's been done, read above.
  • Options
    Nope, I hardly know any swear words anyway.
  • Options
    It's been done, read above.

Oh well. Never mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Did they fall out your memory?

I swore once when I was younger and my Mam told me to wash my mouth out with hot soapy water.

It worked.
  • Options
    My mum washed my sisters mouth out with soap:eek2:
    Not mine though cause i'm an angel.:angel:
  • Options
    That makes sense. But to increase your vocabulary, that's if it annoys you enough, I suggest reading some books, things that are inclined to use words that you wouldn't in your daily conversations.

Actually my vocabulary is not that small. I'm just an extremly lazy person who says the first thing that comes to mind without thinking about it. For some reason or another, shitty comes before something so simplistic as bad, ass before butt and so forth.
  • Options
    they are just words, words mean nothing simple as.

If i sue the word Fuck i do not consider that ina nyway offencive unless I was insulting someone and my intentions were to convey emotions of spite or disgust etc,

apart from that if i say fuck i left this at home then i dont understand how anyone could complain at me i am merely expressing my mild frustration
  • Options
    I like swearing.

My vocabulary isn't limited, ta muchly, but sometimes the f-word is the only word that will fit.

Such as "get out the fucking way, gramps".

The bestest word in the dictionary is the c-word though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

:no:
  • Options

The c-word is wrong, simply wrong and disgusting

I think words mean a lot, because quite frankly its an important way to express ourselves after body language, which clearly doesn't apply in this environment.

Swearing is something that should be used as an extreme, and therefore conveys the corresponding emotion.
  • Options
    I swear sometimes, but it's not often that it's in a nasty way.

I normally just say silly words like 'fanny' instead.
  • Options
    I like swearing.

My vocabulary isn't limited, ta muchly, but sometimes the f-word is the only word that will fit.
    :yes:

I swear too much, but not in conversation with people who would be offended and not when children or old people can hear. My friends didn't even notice I swear as much as I do until I pointed it out. I suppose the worst thing I would say infront of my parents is 'bugger' which I wouldn't have dared even say infront of my mum this time last year.

My parents never ever swore when I was growing up, which is how I think it should be. I heard my mum say shit the other week and I told her I never wanted to hear such terrible language from her again and she said 'its only a word, get a grip Simone'. She had a fair point I reckon.
  • Options
    im sometimes quite free and easy with swearing

but never in front of those that it would be very wrong in front of [children / important people etc]

ive always managed to avoid myself looking stupid and arsehole like in front of people that own my ass [boss etc]
  • Options
    I don't swear a great deal unless I'm annoyed... plus I don't swear around people who'd be offended. I think bad table manners are more annoying than swearing... shows lack of consideration for others.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad language

<3

And aye, I agree with Bri. A lot of my mates use excessive bad language. I never used to mind so much, but lately I've noticed that when they just come out with it in public without thinking about it everyone seems to pout in disgust. Quite embarrassing.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm just as bad.

It's only ever fuck or shit like, never did catch on to that whole cunt thing.
  • Options
    I remember calling my sister a bitch when I was about 8. My Dad threw me on my bed. It hurt. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Actually, I'm just as bad.

It's only ever fuck or shit like, never did catch on to that whole cunt thing.

Yea. Its a vile word. I would say just a stupid word, but swear words in general are quite stupid. Any word dealing with a part of the male or female genetalia I refrain from using. Partly because it discusts me, partly because I've never actually heard anybody say it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    My parents never ever swore when I was growing up, which is how I think it should be. I heard my mum say shit the other week and I told her I never wanted to hear such terrible language from her again and she said 'its only a word, get a grip Simone'. She had a fair point I reckon.

It was fairly similar in my family growing up, though my dad would swear sometimes when drunk/angry. Dad started swearing a lot more about a year ago, and every now and again I hear my mum say 'fucking', for example. I tell her off because it doesn't seem right hearing my mum swear. :( I do swear in front of my parents, but only to the extent of 'shit' or similar. I did say 'fucking' once, after a particularly nasty shift at work. :(

Generally though, I am very foul-mouthed. I don't even realise I'm doing it half the time. It is a bad state of affairs. :(
  • Options
    The c-word is wrong, simply wrong and disgusting

Its only a slang term for the female genitals. I often wonder how some words come to be so taboo.
  • Options
    I only tend to swear alot when i'm drunk :lol:
    But i do understand how it can be offensive or in some cases just sad such an example would be a guy at work who says fuck in EVERY sentence... i cant keep a straight face, a normal sentence for him is: "i went to the fucking beach and it was fucking pissing it down andit was fucking crap"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dan the Man
    Its only a slang term for the female genitals. I often wonder how some words come to be so taboo.

It has really nasty overtones.

Blokes bits have loads of slangs terms as listed in this Python song

GOOD EVENING, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, HERE'S A
    LITTLE NUMBER I TOSSED OFF RECENTLY IN THE
    CARIBBEAN.
    Isn't it awfully nice to have a penis.
    Isn't it frightfully good to have a dong.
    It's swell to have a stiffy,
    It's divine to own a dick.
    From the tiniest little tadger,
    To the world's biggest prick.
    So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
    Hooray for your one-eyed trouser snake.
    Your piece-of-pork,
    Your wife's best friend,
    Your Percy or your cock.
    You can wrap it up in ribbons,
    You can slip it in your sock.
    But don't take it out in public
    Or they will stick you in the dock,
    And you won't come back.

Us girls are sorely deprived of such prolific slang, and the most popular, the c-word, is revolting!