Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Website Management Project

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
WARNING: Programming jargon ahead - approach with caution

I have been studying hard these past monthes with JavaScript and vb6 (I know you can't use vb6 for this but you can VBScript =] )

Although I am still pretty novice (damn PlayStation distration) I really want to have a crack at coding a website system that I can sell onto clients.

Brief
* Target web area is centered on publishing articles / stories - Like TheSite for example!
* Database driven website to store the articles.
* Admin can log into thier 'Admin' section and change settings such as how long an article is shown as being 'new', what articles to loop on the 'featured' or 'recommended' list on homepage for example.
[ This one above can be done by using an array to loop but I want the admin to be able to change the actual articles within the array being looped and how often it is changed. ]
* Admin can input text directly into the webpage to be shown in select places such as the home page's 'News' section.

I understand these kind of things can be changed easily but only if you know a little bit about the language they are wired with. I want this product to be as user friendly as possible.

This was an idea I had suddenly on way home on train earlier on today and it hasn't had much thought as you could probably tell...

So what?
But I guess my point of this topic is to ask the guys that know what languages I will need to use and to what level?

Want to help?
Thanks for your time and please suggest more features if you like. Also feel free to critisize, enquire and offer additional help with this project if you can offer it!

Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    So you wanna create like a content management cross phpnuke kinda system?

Well you will more then likely need to know php and mysql, possibly some asp and vb code. Most definately need to know html and maybe a little phpbb wouldnt go amiss either.

Good luck with it, gonna be a big project.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    maybe a little phpbb wouldnt go amiss either.

err... last time i checked, phpbb was a forum ;)

Anyway yeah, i would go down the PHP and MySQL route, its all open source, and so many people use it.
  • Options
    Yeah I got the same 'use PHP with MySQL' reply off the other forums I frequent ( Code Newbie )

I am a freelance programmer ... just granted not a very experienced one! I can do website NO PROBLEM I just haven't touched databases yet. I sell website DESIGN solutions at the moment but I'm always trying to learn other areas to expand...

I tried learning JavaScript but it's useless in the net nowadays all it does usefully is mouse/page events such as OnClick and OnFocus and that can all be reused over and over. Oh and DHTML but how many dynamic JS scripts are there already out there? Copy and paste... Copy and paste......

I will be writing a kind of recruitment topic in here soon to ask for artists / CGers / coders / scripters / designers of all things electronic to join with my 'company' to offer a wider range of services. First call is a computer grapics artist to help me make those purdy interfaces :D

But enough about the company ... people say this is a HUGE job but to be honest isn't it just a combination of little bits such as changing the target within arrays and silly things like that?

Oh and RudeBwoy - anybody can throw a load of programming verbage around and look clever but not when it's at people who know what your on about ... or what you think ur on about! ;)

Yes I wanna create a phpNuke kinda system but vbScript will provide compability issues and PHP and ASP pages would clash seeing as they are 2 ways of doing the same thing? You can't have a site using both asp AND php!

( If you can then I apologise but you can't to my knowledge )

Thanks fo' help tho Ruddie :cool:

Prolog = :eek2: wassat?
  • Options
    you're right, creating a portal system will be a long hard job, theres many aspects of it that needs to be coded and stuff, and generally will take a long time, but dont give up, im sure you will make it there in the end
  • Options
    oh and php and ASP are possible together, afaik PHP exists for windows, and theres chilliasp and asp-apache for linux so they can both be used together, but i expect its not the best of ideas
  • Options
    PHP/MySql is good. There are a large number of PHP based admin tools for mysql, that you could probably adapt to providing a service.

You could also look at services to resell rather than re-inventing the wheel.

You can have a site that offers both PHP and ASP pages, but they are not very common. Most vendors offer either one platform or the other, because ASP tends to be feature-lacking in its implemenation on anything other than IIS and PHP tends to be more suited to its native linux/apache type platforms (in my opinion).

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for in this post to be honest.

Try and build up your database skills. You can read forums and stuff but I find the best way to learn is by trying to do projects.
  • Options
    Hmm, now this topic has come up at an interesting time.
    Someone was asking me about putting together a basic website. Just a sort of "shop window" with information about their band, etc. With a view to adding the ability to update the news/photos and maybe some other parts of the site from anywhere (updatable by a computer/net novice - so some sort of automation), and a way of booking tickets.
    The ticket thing is for the future, but they would like to be able to update the site quickly and easily without having to edit various pages. The only think I can think of is somthing that creates the web pages, links, etc automaticly by the user just logging in and entering detals and attaching pictures. The nearest thing I can think of that's similar is a forum. So I've got to try and figure it out. No doubt there's some open source software, or freeware, out there that I'd be able to customise to suit their needs. But I assume that what it'll be using is php or asp? And running some sort of server based database. So that's what I've got to look into (php and/or asp).

So, is that the sort of thing php and asp are used for? And any ideas where I could find a readymade free solution?
  • Options
    serach for mambo server

here's one I made with it

www.autoinc.co.uk
  • Options
    Heya well im a computer techie and have been doing asp for about a year and have done PHP/mySQL too and have to tell you that ASP is far easier and moving on to ASP.net .net will overtake PHP with its powerful controls and use across different .net languages.

Anyways back to my point id be happy to help, you can do two differnt languages as long as you use the same database for example you could display the main content with PHP and use ASP for the admin bit as long as theres a common database which both can connect to and the server can cope with both bits.

I am competant in asp and have done a lot for work including a Consumable Management System which is badass if i say so myself.

If you wanna get together on MSN or something i would be happy to collaberate and join theis "Company" of yours.

Thanks
    .matt
  • Options
    nothing happening with this?
    .matt