Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Immortality for just 13 pounds a month

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
For all you sportspeople who want to get fit whilst having the chance of immortality, look no further than Fitness First gymnasiums. They have just put a flyer through our door with the headline, word for word, 'Starting to exercise at middle age, can lower the risk of death by 23%'. Presumably they'll start offering reduced rate for the over 150's in a few years time.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I typed that into Google and the very first link said

Regular exercise extends life, and the effect is so powerful that even people who wait until they are middle-aged to begin exercising gain extra days on earth. Overall, starting exercise in one's middle years lowers the risk of death by 23 per cent over the next two decades or so.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0003.htm
  • Options
    Surely the risk of death remains at 100% whatever fitness regime you use... :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Surely the risk of death remains at 100% whatever fitness regime you use... :confused:

Exactly. Diamond geezer, I looked on the net myself and found that stat, which is obviously what they were trying to say, but they ommited the 'in the next 2 decades' bit so it simply stated that starting to exercise in middle age can reduce the risk of you dying. Full stop. Like I say, the quote I posted is word for word and complete. If it said in the next 2 decades obviously it would make sense, but it doesn't.
  • Options
    No, you would still have the same risk of death.

The difference would be a risk from certain diseases is reduced.
  • Options
    Yes I realise you would still have the same risk of death, why do you think that claim tickled me in the first place? I'm saying, as per the link someone posted, that the stat they are trying to convey wasn't printed in full, so they ended up printing something ridiculous. You CAN reduce the risk of dying from certain things, in the case of exercise I presume they are talking heart conditions, but obviously you can't reduce the risk of dying full stop! They were obviously trying to say that exercise can extend your life span. That much is true, it just can't extend it indefinitely!
  • Options
    Never underestimate the power of Fitness First gymnasiums! :eek:
  • Options
    Absolutely. I left FF to go to JJB but with an offer like that I'm considering re-joining!