Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Moral Dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hypothetical situation ;) :rolleyes: ;)

The government introduce a new tax benefit for working families with children. The documents were filled out and sent back to the tax office. The family start to receive around £50 a month to help.

One year later the family have another child. As a result of this new member the mother is on maternity leave and thus her income has dropped. On calling the tax office the mother is told that a new set of documents will be sent out to check over and sign. New documents arrive and are duly checked that the information is correct, signed and returned.

A month or so later the family now receive around £1500 in back tax payments. They are also told that their monthly tax benefits are rising to around £700. Not knowing anything about how taxes work the family take it that the tax office know what they are talking about.

3 or 4 months later the family are pondering of wether the mother should return to work part-time, full-time or take a further 6 months un-paid maternity. The mother calls the tax office to discuss how the tax benefits payment would change to be told that due to a known computer fault the family has been over paid some £3000 in benefits. The mother explains that they checked the documents but is told it is not her fault but the tax offices error.

The family are told that the must pay the money back. The family understand this but do not have the cash as it's been spent. The tax office understand this and agree that payments will stop and instead of getting the original £50/month this will be used to recoup the overpaid benefits.

The question is this. After all the phone calls, letters and reassurances from the tax office that the payments would stop, that 3 months on the money was still being paid into your bank account would you tell them?

Comments

• Options
    Yes because you will end up paying even more back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Yes because you will end up paying even more back.

Yeah exactly.
  • Options
    Yep. They wont be able to keep the money in the end.
  • Options
    I would definately tell them. I would also make a complaint because they are making the family in question feel better off.
  • Options
    But how many times do they have to keep telling them? They are phoning every month to tell them that they have been paid this cash again and every month the tax office say they will stop it.

:mad:
  • Options
    If something is paid erroneously (i.e. not fraudulently) then I am of the opinion that it should be finders keepers. IN equity it is, if it is more unconscionable for someone to pay it back then to keep it; in this case I would expect a court of equity to find that the poor family should keep the cash.

I would want them to.
  • Options
    put it into a seperate account and dont spend it. theyre only going to ask for it back.
    bastards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If something is paid erroneously (i.e. not fraudulently) then I am of the opinion that it should be finders keepers. IN equity it is, if it is more unconscionable for someone to pay it back then to keep it; in this case I would expect a court of equity to find that the poor family should keep the cash.

I would want them to.

Mistakes are made. But if these people don't deserve/haven't earned it should be given back. The point of benefit is to help families who need it, not give greedy families a boost.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Mistakes are made.

That I agree with. But the same mistake is being made every month. Someone, somewhere is sitting with their thumb up their arse doing bugger all about it. I'm with Kermit. Fuck them. The mistake was made through no point of the family. They have pointed the mistake out to the tax people on a number of occassions but nothing seems to be being done about it.
  • Options
    It's not the fact I don't think it's their fault, it's not, but in reality, they will have to give it back - which would they rather ?
  • Options
    councils are shit like this, my friend worked for the council part time while he was at college, when he quit the job he was still getting paid for three months after, he phoned and asked them why and they told him it was backdated pay, later he gets a letter to give all the money back or they would take him to court, cuz he spent it he had to have a loan to pay it backor would have ended up with CCJ's even though it wasnt his own fault, ended up worse off in the end thanks to someones mistake and not admitting responsibility for it
  • Options
    Yes but although its their fault they WILL make you pay it back.