Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Swords

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
Are there any laws about owning swords in this country?

Im buying a 27" bladed Katana for my boyfriend for his birthday, and it suddenly occured to me that there may be regulations or something.

Thank you :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your boyfreinds got a bigger one than mine:(
  • Options
    as far as I know there isn't but I have a little feeling there might be but I'm not sure, but I don't think there is such a law as My sister was going to by her Bf one,

but bloody hell you picked a lovely sword, the katana is a nice lightweight and durable sword,

is it an alliumium alloy?

I want this set :)
    http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-sw-33.html
  • Options
    I don't think there are any restrictions. Just don't go waving it around in public. I suppose it could be classed as an offensive weapon if it's being carried in a public place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    as far as I know there isn't but I have a little feeling there might be but I'm not sure, but I don't think there is such a law

Just say you don't know next time. :p
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    The Law on swords in public:

As long as the blade is atleast 1/4 of the way into the scabard, it is perfectly legal to carry. Any more than that, and it is seen as an offencive weapon and you can be arrested.

Yarr!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    The Law on swords in public:

As long as the blade is atleast 1/4 of the way into the scabard, it is perfectly legal to carry. Any more than that, and it is seen as an offencive weapon and you can be arrested.

Yarr!

most scabards of a sword will hold 2/3 of the blade at least so you should be fine :)
  • Options
    is this the rule where it doesn't apply for sikhs?
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by lipsy

eh?? :confused:
  • Options

I don't see how that would not apply for a sikh
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    eh?? :confused:
    i just remember i got told something about sikhs in an R.E. lesson how they are allowed to carry swords around and not have to wear a helmet on a motorbike due to their turban. but i'm not sure if i've got that confused.
  • Options
    i just remember i got told something about sikhs in an R.E. lesson how they are allowed to carry swords around and not have to wear a helmet on a motorbike due to their turban. but i'm not sure if i've got that confused.

I don't see why sikhs would be carrying a sword out of the scabbards, anyone can carry one around with them if it's in a scabbards, Also I know sikh's have a religious dagger as part of there religion but I am unsure about a sword...
  • Options
    lol, i don't know wtf a scabbard is!

eta: http://www.sikhs.org/art12.htm
    they do carry a sword but its just for symbolic reasons.
  • Options
    http://www.gungfu.com/pics_general/pics_swords/swords_terminology_definitions.jpg

the bit labeled scabbard, it's what the sword is stored/held in, :)
  • Options
    lol its the swordy holdy bit
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    lol its the swordy holdy bit

Oh I love you terminology :p
  • Options
    Enless there has been some change to the law since the 1988 criminal justice act which applies to swords I'm not certain where the stuff about scabbards is coming.

This is the section of the CJA that applies to bladed weapons in public, essentally it means you have to justify having a weapon. The act allows for religious reasons to justify the carrying of weapons.

As to owning a sword at home, it's legal but certain martial arts weapons are completely banned.

139.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—
    (a) for use at work;
    (b) for religious reasons; or
    (c) as part of any national costume.
  • Options
    as far as I know there isn't but I have a little feeling there might be but I'm not sure, but I don't think there is such a law as My sister was going to by her Bf one,

but bloody hell you picked a lovely sword, the katana is a nice lightweight and durable sword,

is it an alliumium alloy?

I want this set :)
    http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-sw-33.html

You're weird :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    This is the section of the CJA that applies to bladed weapons in public, essentally it means you have to justify having a weapon. The act allows for religious reasons to justify the carrying of weapons.
    i knew i was right :cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V

What about a Jihad? Or doing that Crusades thang all over again?
  • Options
    Thanks people. He's not gonnabe waving it about in public, so I think it should be ok.

It looks like this, if anyone wanted to know.
  • Options
    thats a sweet ass sword, i wouldnt trust myself with one of those though, i'd end up cutting over my arm :D
  • Options
    Jees... seems to be spreading rapidly were guys are all of a sudden are into their swords.

My bro has quite a few all over his room and couple of my mates, are now wanting them.

Though, that is a nice sword MoonArcanum; may I ask how much is it and were you got it? :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I got over my sword infatuation when I was 15. Well, not completely over, but I don't think I'll get a real one for myself (I have a wooden one).
    A guy in my school class bought a sword on our 5-day trip... he had trouble getting it on the plane on the way back. Can you imagine air pirates with swords?
  • Options
    Ahh but I'm not into a sword thing, I'm into ancient weaponary, I like to study history about military tactis, weapons ect.

:p and that is a nice sword,
  • Options
    I was getting it off ebay, but when I logged back on after going shopping this afternoon, some git had outbid me in the last 2 minutes :(

Theres another one on there...exactly the same. Im not gonna lose this one, dammit.
  • Options
    Ahh but I'm not into a sword thing, I'm into ancient weaponary, I like to study history about military tactis, weapons ect.

YOU ARE FUCKING WEIRD!

Word of advice, if you're ever trying to chat up a bird, never, ever tell her that.

Not that it'll make much of a difference anyway, but y'know.
  • Options
    Might I just ask why you're buying him a sword? Just curious, like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Might I just ask why you're buying him a sword? Just curious, like.

Who me... I like medievil and ancient weaponry,
  • Options
    Who me... I like medievil and ancient weaponry,

Are you buying him a sword? Are you? No?

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERY FUCKING THREAD REVOLVE AROUND YOU!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Are you buying him a sword? Are you? No?

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERY FUCKING THREAD REVOLVE AROUND YOU!

Opps, I appologise but I miss read the post, it happens.. FUCKING DEAL WITH IT YOU OVER GROWN SHIT