Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

what would you have done-dad hitting kids

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok my mom has finally reported the man who lives next door but one but she is now terrified of the consequences.

The family moved in a few yrs ago-theres about 5 or 6 boys all primary school age. We first found out the dad hit the mom when one of the kids told my dad but we thought we would stay out of it as he could have been lying and even if she was hit-it was up to her to sort it out.

The gfamily then got reported to the social services about a yr ago and they blemed our lovely neighbour who swears it wasnt her-we don't know who it was but at least its shows we arent the only ones concerned.

I stayed next door for two weeks and constantly heard him shouting (3 times within 30min at 630am!!!) not just shoutking but like erupting all of a sudden and you can hear through the walls and it makes you jump!

Then as summer hols have gone on my dad has heard him belting the kids and then this morning he was heard by mom-she said he roared-not shouted, like he was crazy and then he hit the kids and was crying. There were twqo screams and then the kids were calling him a pig. I myself didnt hear but it shook mom up and she said she couldn't stand there and do nothing. She rand social services up and reported him.

But is this the right thing to do? I mean is it none of our business? but if they got killed newspapers would say "why did the neghbours let this happen"

What would you have done? What wil the social people do-if anything?

Comments

• Options
    I would have phoned the police myself. Maybe even have gone round, I'd have got someone else to come with me with a video camera as well. So if worst comes to the worst, there would have been a witness and the kids would have been safe.
  • Options
    Well I think me and mom are both too scared of him to do that! I wouldn't risk it-even though it would be for the kids-he's a nasty nasty man. I just feel sorry for them-they aren't angels by any means but no kid deserves hitting and belting the way he does. Its just pathetic-he needs some anger management classes I think-or at least someone his size to come round and say go on hit me and not you 5 yr old kid.

Anyways have to go but glad you don't think we have been busybodies interfering. I just hope it can calm him and they live happily ever after-not split up and fostered.
  • Options
    I think your mom did the right thing in reporting it, as you said, if something had happened to the children or the wife then you would feel guilty if you hadn't said anything and maybe could have prevented it. I assume any complaint social services has they have to investigate it especially after all the stuff thats been reported in the news about complaints of child cruelty not being properly investigated and resulting in a childs death. Also, if other complaints have been made then they definately should take notice.I hope everything gets sorted out, it can't be nice having to live next door to this.
  • Options
    I think it was the right thing to do, yes.

However if he's a violent man I don't really think he'll take it calmly. I guess social services have told you they keep who told them private, but perhaps it might not take much guessing.

Sorry to sound negative. :(

At least you'll be able to know you and your family tried your best for them.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Of course it was the right thing to do. The situation needs to be resolved, and I doubt the wife would do it. or she'd do it in a wrong way.
  • Options
    It was the right thing to do.

Social services tend to take repeated complaints seriously, and they wil respect your anonymity and investigate it. Or they should, but given how shit the staff are paid and treated it might take a bit of time.

You did the right thing, a mate of mine is a social worker and she wishes more peopel would do it.
  • Options
    I believe the right thing has been done. If he hasn't done anything wrong then he won't have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    youve done the right thing.
    You know you have. Dont let the bully intimidate you as well as his family. If he starts anything, call the police and get an injunction.
  • Options
    Thanks guys-Dad says he thinks the man would do something like throw a brick through the window but I don't think he will know it is us because well-to be frank the whole flippin road can hear him and his viscious voice and hits.

If I do find out anything that happens I'll let you know.

I'm glad mom did it because after reading books like dave pelzers autobiographies and the many cases-like Stressed and others on here-they always say they wish someone had said something.
  • Options
    Good luck with it. x