Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pop ups (it's not what you think...honest)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I downloaded Grokster on Sunday. The installation was halfway through, and then it suddenly crashed, so I turned the PC off and thought nothing more about it.

Monday, I turned on the PC, and every time I open a new browser window, I get some kind of pop up. It's the same one every time. It's an empty screen, but says Bonus Coupon at the top. If you close it before it is fully loaded, you get two of them.

I have disabled Messenger, I have uninstalled Grokster, I've used Spybot S&D, I've done a Norton scan. The problem is it is coming from the inside (my temporary internet files, which have all been deleted, along with my cookies), so any sort of defence is going to make no difference.

Right, so this is where it stops being what you think I'm going to say. Can I uninstall and then install Internet Explorer again? Would it make a difference?

Comments

• Options
    Here's a version of I.E that won't pick up any spyware. Here
  • Options
    Is it actually Internet Explorer though? Do all things that work on IE5+ work on Mozilla? I only ask because there are some programs which list Internet Explorer 5 or above as a minimum requirement, and I wouldn't want to download anything which would leave me out of my depth.

Not meaning to be rude, but could anybody answer the question I actually asked?
  • Options
    Not everything will work on a different browser.

You will find it difficult to uninstall and reinstall IE, it's so highly mixed into the Windows OS.

There's a download page here, but I think it will just write over the top, which probably wont really sort your problem.

Check what your IE start page is.
  • Options
    Mist:

My home page is till google.co.uk. It never changed.

I'm running Mozilla at the moment, as a temporary solution.

What common things won't work on Mozilla, or any other browser for that matter?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Mist:

My home page is till google.co.uk. It never changed.

I'm running Mozilla at the moment, as a temporary solution.

What common things won't work on Mozilla, or any other browser for that matter?

Anything that uses Activex controls.

Some fancy page layout / javascript things that use IE only features to, for example, hide bits of pages.
  • Options
    seem to remember hearing some scottish guy has found a solution for active X, so that might change soon.
  • Options
    Oh, and one more question.

How do I make it my default browser?
  • Options

Not sure. In the olden days, each browser used to ask you. There's probably a setting hidden in the tools -- options.

Otherwise I think that the "Set program access and defaults" in the start menu may let you choose the browser.
  • Options

tools - options - general - Set default browser

voila!
  • Options
    I've ran Mozilla for 2 years now. Not come across anything that hasn't worked! It complies with the W3C standard, which is the standard for web designers. Anyone who designs a web site that only works in IE needs some more beer!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    I've ran Mozilla for 2 years now. Not come across anything that hasn't worked! It complies with the W3C standard, which is the standard for web designers. Anyone who designs a web site that only works in IE needs some more beer!

That's a nice ideal, but lots of web designers will completely ignore those standards, if, indeed, they've even heard of them.

To be fair though most stuff will work, but there's sites that don't.
  • Options
    tdh,

don't even bother trying to uninstall & reinstall ie.

make sure spybot is in advanced mode then update it (Online, Update, Search for Update, Download Updates). run the checker.

when it's finished, go into the Tools menu & check the System Startup section. it will give you a list of everything that runs on startup. delete or toggle anything dodgy - be careful! send me a pm if you want to check anything. again in the Tools menu go into Process List which will show all processes running. again look for dodgy stuff. uncheck anything blatantly rogue but again be careful. do a restart.

spybot is pretty cool - i don't like plugging any particular product but i used to do a lot of manual fixing, messing around in the registry, and spybot cuts down on this by putting a lot of stuff into an easily accessible place.

if you have problems doing the above, boot into safe mode before trying again. i'd also recommend installing and running adaware but again make sure you update it from within the program once you've installed it.

my preferred browser is now mozilla but as others have rightly said, it has its limitations. it's useful to have ie functioning properly, just in case.
  • Options
    Just a question about mozilla...does it overwrite IE or run alongside it? I was considering downloading it, but want to keep IE as well. [/hijack]
  • Options
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    i just use IE when i have to

and to actually look at internet explorer, the reason pages look b0rked in opera/mozilla if you make a website for IE is that it generates stuff wrongly and is pretty dire

many website coders have to go out of their way to make websites internet explorer friendly