Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

afraid to be yourself?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why does everyone feel afraid to be themselves in public? society imposes its values on us through media etc and we all act like what is considered to be the norm, or am i making it all up? feels like not many people are prepared to step outside the box, i hate fashion yet cant deny i am influenced by it.........

everything is so impersonal walking around on the streets, i notice everyone trying not to be noticed (almost robotic like behaviour), to appear different..........is this so wrong? are we so conscientous to fit in.........or am i seeing this from another level?

now..... on a different, but not entirely separate tangent.........dont you think if more people smoked cannabis the world would be a friendlier place, where people would feel freer to express themselves and show a little individuality (i have been to amsterdam and never have i felt so safe and at home in such a crowded place, friendly vibes).......less efficient, less productive maybe........but life would be slower, and heading towards self-destruction a little slower.......

so can someone explain why you can still get life in some parts of america for possession of a harmless plant? what is the government really so afraid of? or have i cracked it? the mind boggles *end of random thought*

Comments

• Options
    dude, i don't even know what 'myself' is.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    dude, i don't even know what 'myself' is.
    Same here.

You say that people try to act as the norm is... Personally, I don't know what the norm is, and when I learn a little part of it, I follow it or I don't depending on what it's about (i.e., the norm for how to treat guests as opposed to the norm on how to dress).
  • Options
    Re: afraid to be yourself?
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    why does everyone feel afraid to be themselves in public? society imposes its values on us through media etc and we all act like what is considered to be the norm, or am i making it all up? feels like not many people are prepared to step outside the box, i hate fashion yet cant deny i am influenced by it.........

everything is so impersonal walking around on the streets, i notice everyone trying not to be noticed (almost robotic like behaviour), to appear different..........is this so wrong? are we so conscientous to fit in.........or am i seeing this from another level?

Yes.

Lots of people these days like to think of themselves as being non-conformist, but very few actually are. I conform, but the big difference is that I don't care what people think of me on the outside really, I'm fine with the way I look and dress and my little wee mannerisms, they're just me.

The thing is, most of us have compex characteristics on the inside, and that's where my personal insecurity lies. You look at people in the street, but it's easy to forget that on the inside you've no idea what they're actually like. The day that we all become too similar on the inside and think the same way about things, that's when we get all fucked up.

But then at the same time, people who fit a certain stereotype are likely to have a lot of similar views on things. A hell of a lot of guys I've met around my age are worryingly similar - listen to "cool" music and films, dress to the fashions, don't like emotions, have the same views the drugs that should be legalised, same opinions on shitloads of things.

Then again, I suppose stereotypes like this need to exist for the likes of people who aren't so similar to flourish, which in turn causes a lot of resentment amongst the clones, which probably makes them very insecure.

Sorry about that ramble and a half.