Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Breaking the ice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im in an office with 7 girls/women and im the only guy. The thing is im usually really good at talking with girls but iv got the impression they are all superior then me.

How can i break the ice and start conversations everynow and then with them?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This article on meeting people at work will give you some help. Best advice I can give is to be friendly without being OTT - ask how their weekend were, if they saw a certain TV show last night, that sort of thing and always stay friendly and approachable. If they have any social events, always make the effort to go for at least one drink and eventually you'll feel comfortable enough to stay out all night!
    ;)
    If you're just starting perhaps they actually are superior to you. However, acting like it is a totally different thing.

They should be welcoming you, and should be nice and friendly.

How about you offer to help them and try and come across as being interested in stuff. Like handbags. :p
    They are really nice people and are always asking if im ok with things and including me in conversations but i still feel extremely shy. I havent felt this shy since i was a child visiting my new head teacher or something.

Another scary thing is, one of the girls there looks just like my ex! Shes new too and weve both hit off to a good start so i guess time will help out with the whole "breaking the ice" thing.
    Perhaps they're nervous too?

They're maybe not used to having new people.

Give it time and i'm sure it'll be fab. :D
    I find that if you take in like a box of Celebrations or other assorted chocolates and offer it around it usually gets a good conversation started. Even if they don't take a sweet they still think, "awww what a lovely person".

In the long run, the fiver you spend on chocolate can make you a lot more at ease in the future. Besides, you get to eat some of them too!
    Originally posted by punkbabe
    I find that if you take in like a box of Celebrations or other assorted chocolates and offer it around it usually gets a good conversation started. Even if they don't take a sweet they still think, "awww what a lovely person".

In the long run, the fiver you spend on chocolate can make you a lot more at ease in the future. Besides, you get to eat some of them too!

Thats not a bad idea coz they do this quite a lot at the office.

Its getting better, we spoke a lot more yesterday and things seem to be getting more at ease everyday so its going well :)
    see you'll be alright in a few weeks.

sometimes it just takes a while to get used to people and what not. :)
    Well, i started here for the week on monday and I was filling my drawers. Luckily my parents got back the next day so I had loads of toblerones. I brought one of them in shared it round and got talking to everybody. So now, it is friday, I've got like an hour left...:( and I don't want to leave.

But chocolate works. FACT
    In my place individual cakes work a treat too :D