Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

if i swim twice a week....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
....for an hour at a time, for the next month, will i lose a lot of weight??? do u think il notice a big difference in body tone!! im not talking about fast, hard swimming, just steady breaststroke!!! Also, walking for about half an hour a night too!!! Just got 3 weeks til my hols, and want to tone up, but im finding it hard to lose weight as ive been put on steroids :(
SBG
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hmm.

Aren't you meant to do 2 hours of exercise 3 times per week to keep in shape as a rough guide? Providing you eat healthily, I don't see what harm it would be in trying, but maybe increase the amount of exercise? Don't know.
  • Options
    swimming is different to other types of exercise, as it works different muscle groups. therefore im not sure about the weight loss, but it'll tone whatever you've got quite nicely.
  • Options
    Re: if i swim twice a week....
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    ....for an hour at a time, for the next month, will i lose a lot of weight??? do u think il notice a big difference in body tone!! im not talking about fast, hard swimming, just steady breaststroke!!! Also, walking for about half an hour a night too!!! Just got 3 weeks til my hols, and want to tone up, but im finding it hard to lose weight as ive been put on steroids :(
    SBG

It wont do nothing major. You need to eat less and less fatty foods to lose weight. And go to the gym atleast twice a week to notice anything major with in a month.
  • Options
    Re: Re: if i swim twice a week....
    Originally posted by Godders
    It wont do nothing major. You need to eat less and less fatty foods to lose weight. And go to the gym atleast twice a week to notice anything major with in a month.

im eating very healthily at the moment, and have been for a while, but the steroids have affected my appetite and weight!! cant afford to go to the gym, but ive been doing some exercises at home as much as i can
    SBG
  • Options
    Swimming is defintely a good way to help ya get in shape quickly. Just don't use scales as a guide on whether your losing weight or not. Coz if you want to tone your body, the muscles you may gain will make you appear heavier. Tho thats a good thing if you want to look good in a bikini :)

And when you do walk at night make sure you you walk briskly; burn of just as much calories doing that as you would jogging.

And if you are eating healthly - I see that's a good plan. Hardest bit I find though is sticking with it :(

I always wish I could swim, coz it is defintely a good way to tone your body.
  • Options
    yeah!!, then i know il be in safe hands if i drown (saw ur post, at least i hope it was urs, about u saving a person)!! Went for a 2hour walk the other night, it was lovely+i felt loads better for it!! Swimming and walking more should improve my asthma too :yes:
    SBG
  • Options
    Yes swimming is one of the best exercises you can do, especialy for ashma its something to do with the moister air your breathing means you can go on for longer, with les chance of an attack or breathing difficulties.
    3 times a week is susposidly needed for fitness improvment.
  • Options
    Some advice from our articles -

water sports

training and diet

Getting fit

Tone up, chill out

There ya go...