Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

the village

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
is by far the worst movie i have seen in such a long time. 2 hours of my life gone forever, wasted. other opinions for anybody who has seen it?
Post edited by JustV on
«1

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was wanting to see it but loads of people have said it was crap so don't think I will bother.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    from the previews i was expecting a scary movie... nope. granted like no movies are scary, but this one didn't even have a scare factor. actually quite often where bursts of chuckles from the people in the theater and no *scared gasps*
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The previews do look good.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Based on his prevous movies, I'd never expect this to be any kind of bad. But I'll have to wait and see for myself.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Based on his prevous movies, I'd never expect this to be any kind of bad. But I'll have to wait and see for myself.

    i know, i liked the sixth sense and unbreakables (for reasons that have nothing to do with the fact that I fantasize about bruce willis doing naughty things) and was just expecting so much more. maybe if you expect nothing the movie will be better for you.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I shall not be seeing it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought Signs was crap, and heavily influenced my decision not to waste my time on this crap looking film, IMHO.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    I thought Signs was crap, and heavily influenced my decision not to waste my time on this crap looking film, IMHO.

    yup. and i think that the only decent film by the director (cant remember his name, wont even bother trying to attempt to guess it) was the sixth sense. imo unbreakable was shite and signs was a huge disappointment.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the problem with the films of M. Night Shyamalan is that they are too subtle for a lot of people....i think his films have improved with each one. The Sixth Sense was unmitigated shite, Unbreakable was much better (despite the repeat appearance of Hayleigh Joel Whatever the fuck his name is....i hate that boy with a passion...."I see dead people" ill show him dead people grrrr :mad: sorry *ahem, anyway...) and Signs was great.
    Like i said, his films are often too subtle for the masses. For some reason he's aquired a reputation as a creator of scarty movies, i cant see why personally as to me his films are more thought provoking. He manages to create considerabley more "real" characters in his films than most mainstream films, places them in an increasingly realistic world, and still manages to maintain a position as a succesful mainstream director. I like how he manages to explore unusual themes within this "real" setting he creates on screen (i mean come on, super heroes, alien invasions, definately unusual themes dont you think).

    I think this guy is great and im really looking forward to seeing this film.

    Peace

    Edited to say: Jeeezus, can you tell im a film studies student much? LOL....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob


    I think this guy is great and im really looking forward to seeing this film.


    seconded

    I really liked Signs due to the subtle messages and view points one can have on it. I didn't like Unbreakable but I think I'll watch it again to give it another chance. Sixth Sense was good because it was so sad and creepy. The Village previews look good, and even if its not, I still get to see Joaquin Phoenix for two hours ;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I loved his other movies, don't suppose you want to expand on what was wrong with this one my_name? Was it just boring or not scary enough, or did it make no sense?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well if i said what was wrong with it it would give away the whole movie :p the previews made it out to be a frightening movie, so i went expecting that. i don't like to be fooled. as I said, there were no frightening bits, just every now and then people in the theater would laugh. but not a haha this is funny laugh, more of a heh, what the fuck kind of laugh. Granted, had I had no idea what this was about I may have enjoyed it for a bit, like the other movies the characters were done nicely. But the people they don't speak of, the horror they went thru, the ending and the reasoning behind what happened at the end were all just vomit inducing out of boredem.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    AlmightyBob, what do you mean when you say his films are too subtle?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to take a mental half-step away from the obvious direction of the story and visualise things.

    Such as 6th Sense...nobody picked up on the fact that his Wife didn't ACTUALLY interact completely with him in the film did she?? But to those ppl in the theatre who had never heard the story they just thought...ok where's the story going with this couple and thier screwy kid??

    I think thats what Almighty Bob means.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum
    AlmightyBob, what do you mean when you say his films are too subtle?

    Take Signs for example. On the face of it, this film is about an alien invasion of earth and the effect this has on one "family" inparticular right? So upon hearing a synopsis like that and going into the cinema to watch it you wouldnt be expecting a film that explores ideas such as fate, coincidence, the renouncing of religion, self belief (sp?) within this settng of an alien invasion, which in the end becomes merely the backstory to this exploration. Thats what i mean by subtle. M. Night Shyamalans messages arent in your face like most blockbuster directors are...they play on your mind, make you think...which is why i think he is a great director/writer. He doesnt need to smash you in the face with special effects, huge explosions and other eye candy. Sure he casts famous faces in his films, but its almost as if he doesnt care about their star value but only the performance they give (mel gibson gives easily one of his better performances in Signs, Joaquin Phoenix is great too...even look at Unbreakable with Bruce Willis, not exactly known for a thought provoking role player is he?)....

    Goddamn film studies, must i analyse everything?? lol

    Peace
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I see your point, I still think that Signs was crap though. I saw Sicth Sense far too long ago to even remember it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Signs was brilliant but the ending was a let down a bit.

    How cna you people see this film yet...? It isn't showing in both UCI and UGC - my local cinemas!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well half the people posting are in the states
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My brother described the trailer to me... I want the village! Now! ...but it seems I'll have to wait till September or something...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Unbreakable was much better (despite the repeat appearance of Hayleigh Joel Whatever the fuck his name is....i hate that boy with a passion...."I see dead people" ill show him dead people

    Erm .... it was Spencer Treat Clark - not Haley Joel Osmond. :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Take Signs for example. On the face of it, this film is about an alien invasion of earth and the effect this has on one "family" inparticular right? So upon hearing a synopsis like that and going into the cinema to watch it you wouldnt be expecting a film that explores ideas such as fate, coincidence, the renouncing of religion, self belief (sp?) within this settng of an alien invasion, which in the end becomes merely the backstory to this exploration. Thats what i mean by subtle. M. Night Shyamalans messages arent in your face like most blockbuster directors are...they play on your mind, make you think...which is why i think he is a great director/writer. He doesnt need to smash you in the face with special effects, huge explosions and other eye candy. Sure he casts famous faces in his films, but its almost as if he doesnt care about their star value but only the performance they give (mel gibson gives easily one of his better performances in Signs, Joaquin Phoenix is great too...even look at Unbreakable with Bruce Willis, not exactly known for a thought provoking role player is he?)....

    Goddamn film studies, must i analyse everything?? lol

    Peace
    Well film studies dont make you a great critic but still thats a different point.

    Anyways i agree with you ont he subtleness of the films and his directing does seem more dark but having seen the villiage i think it was a pile of shit. The signs i liked, sixth sense i liked and unbreakable inparticuarly i liked and the dark nature of unbreakable is in the village but still just didnt have me on the edge of my seat or even care at all about the characters. Maybe i will get a decent copy of it and try it again but i doubt it.

    Lastly i hate watching trailers because they are so misleading
    .matt
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    I think the problem with the films of M. Night Shyamalan is that they are too subtle for a lot of people....i think his films have improved with each one. The Sixth Sense was unmitigated shite, Unbreakable was much better (despite the repeat appearance of Hayleigh Joel Whatever the fuck his name is....i hate that boy with a passion...."I see dead people" ill show him dead people grrrr :mad: sorry *ahem, anyway...) and Signs was great.
    Like i said, his films are often too subtle for the masses. For some reason he's aquired a reputation as a creator of scarty movies, i cant see why personally as to me his films are more thought provoking. He manages to create considerabley more "real" characters in his films than most mainstream films, places them in an increasingly realistic world, and still manages to maintain a position as a succesful mainstream director. I like how he manages to explore unusual themes within this "real" setting he creates on screen (i mean come on, super heroes, alien invasions, definately unusual themes dont you think).

    I think this guy is great and im really looking forward to seeing this film.

    Peace

    Edited to say: Jeeezus, can you tell im a film studies student much? LOL....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Signs, fucking signs, oh how that movie pisses me off!
    Is it just me or was that film flawed in one major way or what.
    I mean what was the writer and director thinking?
    I can only imagine the board meeting:

    Shyamalans:"Bob Ive got this great Idea for a film!"

    Bob (Shyamalans right hand man helps him in all his decision. once gave him a kidney): "What you got Mr Shyamalans, is it another classic like the sixth sense? God I love that little kid. "

    Shyamalans: "No, No its even better! picture this: Its set in modern day America, out in Kansas somewhere, theres an alien attack, and the film focuses on one single family and the fathers struglge with his faith as a catholic"

    Bob: I like it, I like it! So where does little spencer come in? let me guess hes the one who saves the day, because hes the only one who can see them? Oh what a great formula This is gunna work great, we'll give him a little lazer gun and everything!"

    Shayamalans: "No, no, wait your taking this totally out of context! its not a high budget film with flying ships everywhere and lazer guns!"

    Bob: "But, But, little clark is in it right?"

    Shayamalans:"no no thats the great bit we're gunna have a totally unknown cast, its going to have a real rustic feel to it.
    Oh and the best parts still to come, guess whats gunna be the aliens downfall? Water! Great aye, stroke of genius I think!"

    Bob: "So let me get this strait Mr Shayamalans, we have no special effects, no cast to speak of, no budget and the whole film hindges on the fact that the Achilles heel of these aliens is water?! You've finally fucking lost it Shayamalans, your a whack job is what you are!
    We cant sell this, and water for Gods sake?!"

    Shayamalans: "I dont understand what your getting worked up about bob, whats wrong with the water thing, seems sensible enough to me."

    Bob: 70% of the fucking earth is full of the stuff thats what the problem is! As soon as one of the bloody things walks off his flying saucer the chances are 70% that hes gunna burn his bloody foot off! Your an idiot you really are. I mean what do you propose they do if it rains?"

    Shayamalans:"Umb..."

    Bob:"And so help me if you say anything about Umbrellas!"

    Shayamalans:"well um.. Im not..."

    Bob: "I mean you started off really well with the sixth sense, great film. You took the piss a bit with unbreakable, but I even let that one fly. I dont need this, your a twonk, you really are. Im out of here".(Walks out of door and down corridor)

    Shayamalans: (Running after him) Bob dont be like that, Ok, Ok, we'll get some proper actors, the Harry Potter kid he's good, how about him? no? Well Ive got this other idea, its about a village right, no wait listen bob its good!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jinx

    That was absolutly hilarous, but probably oh so true.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by my_name
    That was absolutly hilarous, but probably oh so true.
    The film did my nut in so much I had to say something!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by my_name
    That was absolutly hilarous, but probably oh so true.

    :lol::lol::lol: it was Jinx...had me cracking up! my mom wants to go see the village but i'm telling her the crap reviews its getting and she thinks i'm lying!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Naz
    :lol::lol::lol: it was Jinx...had me cracking up! my mom wants to go see the village but i'm telling her the crap reviews its getting and she thinks i'm lying!:rolleyes:
    Show her my personal account of it, She may change her mind.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Naz
    :lol::lol::lol: it was Jinx...had me cracking up! my mom wants to go see the village but i'm telling her the crap reviews its getting and she thinks i'm lying!:rolleyes:
    I don't know about you, but in my experience if a movie gets bad (but not terrible) reviews it means it's great, and if it gets great reviews it's probably boring.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I don't know about you, but in my experience if a movie gets bad (but not terrible) reviews it means it's great, and if it gets great reviews it's probably boring.
    it depends who does the reviews you need to find a good source for reviews and stick with em
    .matt
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I must be one of the very few people who enjoyed Signs. Well I say I enjoyed it, I could barely watch it. I don't know why but it scared the crap out of me, I had to keep looking away. It just got to me more than the blood and guts you see in normal horror films. I'll admit the bit with the water being laughable but I thought it was a great film and will look forward to soiling myself to The Village.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw The Village last night and it wasn't terrifyingly scary, but there were a few moments that made us all jump. I really liked the film, especially the twists at the end.

    I loved The Sixth Sense, haven't seen Unbreakable yet, I thought Signs was really good and The Village is definately better than Signs, and I do want to see it again :)
Sign In or Register to comment.