Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Paypal / Ebay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Does anyone here use Ebay to sell things and Paypal to accept money?

What sort of paypal account do you have? (standard or premier)

If you have a standard account, can you accept debit card payment on ebay?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I don't use it as i think you have to pay a bit. Paypal that is. I don't think its much though.
  • Options
    i had to upgrade to a premier account to be able to accept card payments, but that was like 2 years ago, before all this paypal europe business, so i don't know if it's still the case.
  • Options
    Accepting money via nochex/paypal means you lose a bit for fees. However people may charge an extra 3% or something to cover them.

I have a standard account, but don't receive money unless it's a cheque/PO/cash/bank transfer. I don't see a point messing about with fees all the damn time.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi there just to let you know that I found out only recently (about a week ago) that its actually against ebays rules or whatever to charge buyers for using paypal. I thought this was perfectly legal but I was told by the messageboard people on there. I think ebay need to make sure people actually know this. Cus there are lotsa of people who apparently report autcions to ebay if they see the seller charging for paypal use.

I guess you can get around this by increasing postage but I don't know. Think it should be split 50:50 between seller and buyer myself.

I'll just find the link that ebay give for this info.

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=3002&thread=200005587&modified=1086697037216

If it doesn't show I'll just copy n paste it!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Paypal take between 3-6% of all payments to cover charges. Witha normal account you can only accept payments from other accounts, with a Premier (I think its free to upgrade, or it was!) you can accept payments from debit and credit cards too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    Hi there just to let you know that I found out only recently (about a week ago) that its actually against ebays rules or whatever to charge buyers for using paypal.

hmm, I wonder if you are allowed to offer discounts for cash/cheques...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carriage Return
    hmm, I wonder if you are allowed to offer discounts for cash/cheques...
    You could if you wanted to. That would be one way of getting around it, but the customer decides the price (being that its an auction) so I cant see the point really.
    Its only a recent thing that you cant charge the buyer for your paypal fees. they used to let you do it, but I never charged buyers for paypal fees anyway.
  • Options
    Think its cheeky you cant surcharge for paypal use, especially when paypal fees are a rip off....but i guess its the easiest way to accept payment so cant argue with big powerful ebay grrr :mad:
  • Options
    You could always just accept cheques and POs, and cash them before sending out products.
  • Options
    i just like getting the money fast hehehe. Oh and paypal seems to encourage bids on items it seems
  • Options
    Ive just recently set up a Sellers account on eBay and signed up to PayPal. I only signed up to paypal as it makes it easier to pay the sellers fee's to ebay. Plus, you dont get charged by paypal for sending out payments do you? just accepting them right?

You know, considering the amount of people who use these companies, i found them both really complicated to follow...maybe im just dumb :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Ive just recently set up a Sellers account on eBay and signed up to PayPal. I only signed up to paypal as it makes it easier to pay the sellers fee's to ebay. Plus, you dont get charged by paypal for sending out payments do you? just accepting them right?

You know, considering the amount of people who use these companies, i found them both really complicated to follow...maybe im just dumb :confused:

I don't think that it's complicated as such, more that the help and such is lacking in detail.

I also think that the sign up process should be a lot more streamlined. If they (Ebay) are so into Paypal then they should just sign you up for an account on Paypal as part of the general process.

Meh.
  • Options
    You could just accept cheques and postal orders (noone in their right mind would pay by cash) but youre better off just accepting paypal and nochex and covering the charges yourself - anyone you buy off will be covering the charges themselves too - youre not the only one. I think its stingy to make the buyer pay your 50p charge or whatever it is. Not accepting paypal would make a lot less people bid on your auctions. I know this from experience. not many people like the hassle of sending cheques, waiting for them to clear etc. They like the instant gratification of paypal.
    I know I never buy off sites that dont accept online payments of some sort as I just cant be arsed with cheques or P/Os.
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't PayPal only charge you 3% (or whatever it is) when you take money out of your PayPal account and put it in your real bank account. I find that for everything I sell, I buy something anyway, so I just leave the money in the PayPal account and I don't get charged.

And isn't NoChex the opposite, charging a straight 99p per transaction, but charging the sender not the reciever?
  • Options
    Pretty certain they take a few percent of the sale and then charge you a set fee of a quid or so to move money to a bank account.

Personally I never charge extra for the paypal, it's always nice to get the money much quicker than waiting for cheques to arrive and clear.

Seems a bit cheeky to stop people charging extra for paypal though, after all ebay own paypal now, don't they? Still just cause it's banned won't stop anyone - look how much pirated stuff, imported booze and cigs are available.
  • Options
    Almighty bob-totally agree-i got really confused signing up to ebay and don't even know if I'm on standard or premium!

I'm a bit cheesed off as I won an item where the guy hadnt put p&p up so I'd emailed him and got no repsonse. I'd got the same item before and got charged 6p p&p and now this new guy is charging me £2.50.

Its annoying as if I had known it was that much I wouldnt have bothered-not like I didnt try to find out neither! Gah hate people who try to pocket profit on p&p-I'm honest and keep it low as it attracts more buyers.

The paypal thing is annoying-I am tempted to not accept it as payment and only use it to pay for items, but so many use it that it would be silly.

ah well its only a few items a month not like I;m tryng to earn a living off there.