Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

My brother got his LDS mission call to.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
We just got the papers for my brothers LDS mission and he is going to..............

Yekaterinburg, Russia :eek:

( I know this isnt a big deal to any of you but living in a small town in Utah, this is crazy that he's going to Russia)

and for those of you who dont know anything about an LDS mission, he will go to Russia for 24 months but learn the language for 2 or 3 months at the Missionary Training Center in Salt Lake City while he's waiting for his Visa to come through. and he leaves on October 20th for the MTC.

I'm so excited for him!!! yaay :hyper:

Do any of you live there or have gone there?? Whats the weather like? what do they eat there? My mom said they eat raw meat there. One of my neighbors that went to Russia for his LDS mission and got held at gunpoint so he came home early. It made me a bit paranoid to find out my brother is going there. :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Generalisations about Russia are pointless, its so large that its more like a continent than a country.

In the Easten sections they are more like the Mongolians, or inner-far-eastern peoples, but in the west they are very much like eastern Europeans.

It does NOT have to be cold, many parts of Russia are quite warm in the summer.

Crime is however a big problem, with mafia type gangs taking protection money from virtually all businesses in the country.

I would suggest that he buys a Lonely Planet guidebook, they are normally very good.
  • Options
    http://www.yekatmission.com/

just found that, might be useful? Apparently, everything is dirt cheap there (like a packet of cigarretes is 25p etc). The local food, is awful apparently, but there are lots of fast food chains opening up, especially in western russia.

info for new missionaries, found on the above website

I would love to go to Russia, especially eastern Russia where western civilisation hasn't touched it so much. And possibly mongolia too. The big problem with these 'out of the way' places is a) beaurocrats and b) crime. On the first (i think that's the right word) some soldier's, guards etc think that they are the law of the land, and no matter what pieces of paper you have from moscow if they don't let you pass you aren't going to pass. On the second, violent crime isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still more of a problem than in Western Europe. But then again, America has it's fair share doesn't it? :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    http://www.yekatmission.com/

I have no clue how you found that but you seriously saved me and my family hours of searching for info!!! Bless. :yes:
  • Options
    My cousin went to Russia to Teach, the officals at the airport wanted bribes and then his spare pair of shoes!
  • Options
    I went to russia a few months ago. To Moscow and St.Petersburg. Very cold winters, fairly hot summers. I thought it was incredible, so interesting, so different. I would deffoly go back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girlinthecurl
    are you going on one?

Nooooo way :no:

And plus, girls have to be 21 to go on missions :confused: Not really sure why though.