Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Yesterday's Storm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone get caught out by yesterday's storms?

My PC Monitor almost blew up!!!

The lights in the house started to flicker a lot an then my PC's Monitor went bright white, so bright I thought it was the lightening... I have the silly thing on a UPS so that helped I think but UPS' arent really that brilliant.

We disconnected the TV Antenna just incase, my friend's TV in Australia (who now lives in London) blew up once cos the antenna got hit by lightening so he didn't take any chances.

Our porch also started to leak water!!

Comments

• Options
    I had to take my new kitten to the vet and had to sit there while the storm raged with him shivering in his cage. He didnt like it at all.

It was really really close to where I was, some kids got struck by lightening not that far away from my house.

That and driving home some of the roads had turned into small rivers.
  • Options
    well, i was using my boyfriends phone when it all started, so i put it down straight away!! then went online, but the internet froze, the phone line died, and the tv went off, so dunno what happened!! a fire engine then raced past his house about 1 minute later...:eek:
    I bloody hate thunder.....i think lightning is pretty, but thunder freaks me out :(
    SBG
    p.s. does anybody else like that earthy smell that comes after its rained hard - like a fresh soil smell!!
  • Options
    No storm around my neck of the woods. :razz:

Read about it in the papers today, didn't realise quite how severe it was!
  • Options
    We get all manor of exciting things happen in London. Thats why we have to pay £1m for a shoe box to live in.
  • Options
    I'm so glad I'm in Shropshire :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    well, i was using my boyfriends phone when it all started, so i put it down straight away!! then went online, but the internet froze, the phone line died, and the tv went off, so dunno what happened!! a fire engine then raced past his house about 1 minute later...:eek:
    I bloody hate thunder.....i think lightning is pretty, but thunder freaks me out :(
    SBG
    p.s. does anybody else like that earthy smell that comes after its rained hard - like a fresh soil smell!!
    They say that phone lines are mostly in danger in case of storm. As for preferences, I like seeing thunder so long as it doesn't strike near me. And for the smell, isn't anyone who doesn't like it? I could breathe it for hours!
  • Options
    p.s. does anybody else like that earthy smell that comes after its rained hard - like a fresh soil smell!! [/B][/QUOTE]

I do. I like to stare out the window when it's raining hard too :)
  • Options
    You like seeing thunder? Have you been taking heavy doses of a hallucinogen?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Koenigsegg

I do. I like to stare out the window when it's raining hard too :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too! me and my b/f just sat there yesterday watching the rain+lightning - it was really surreal and kind of romantic in a wierd way!! yay, i aint alone :hyper:
    SBG
    BTW, zalbor - i knew wot u meant about seeing thunder, lol :lol:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You like seeing thunder? Have you been taking heavy doses of a hallucinogen?
    I like seeing thunder fall on the earth (alhtough it actually goes up to the clouds). I don't like that it can harm things, and I don't like the green horses that come in black cars after thunder. ( :p )
  • Options
    Green horses? I think you have been hallucinating!! :D
  • Options
    Aparently years ago our neighbours house opposite got hit by lightening but whoever did their electrical wiring didn't put an earth on the house so their Tv also blew up and also they had wall paper with metalic paint in the design so it conducted the electricity as well and caught the rest of the paper on fire

They people had been getting electrical shocks ithe bath went they touced light switched etc and never thought ot get their wiring checked out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Aparently years ago our neighbours house opposite got hit by lightening but whoever did their electrical wiring didn't put an earth on the house so their Tv also blew up and also they had wall paper with metalic paint in the design so it conducted the electricity as well and caught the rest of the paper on fire

They people had been getting electrical shocks ithe bath went they touced light switched etc and never thought ot get their wiring checked out.

Did they die?:confused:
  • Options
    we had the storms monday night. the poor dog nearly crapped her pants.

i wouldn't have minded (i quite like thunderstorms), but we sleep right underneath a skylight window, and the noise coming from it was shocking. we woke up thinking the house was falling down.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    We didn't even have a drop of rain here. :(
    Infact I was still swimming in the sea when the storm hit London. I like serious weather - especially lightning.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Nothing really exciting happened here. We didn't lose the phone lines or electricity, we just had a lot of heavy rain and a bit of thunder and lightening.

Thank God we didn't lose the phone line and electricity, my Auntie was here at the time! :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Koenigsegg
    Did they die?:confused:

Nope, just the walls caught on fire, never did light wall paper, good old paint will do me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    We had nowt over here!

They said onthe Radio last night in London as much rain in one day came down as you'd expect in the whole month.

I remember years ago driving (as a passenger) on the M1 and it started rain seriously heavy, so much we couldn't even see more then a few feet infront of us.

We pulled over to the ard shoulder, switchedonthe hazard lights and hoped no one would crash into the back of us.

Luckily everyone behind us saw our common sense move and did exactly the same thing and just waited out the rain until it stopped enough to drive safely.
  • Options
    We had nowt over here!

how odd!

apparently it was pretty bad over garforth way, so maybe we were getting it from the east. did you not even have the torrential rain?
  • Options
    See, even the storms avoid Bradford. :(

We were in Bratfud last night and it was fine, once we got past Settle on the A65 we needed water wings though. It was coming down in sheets, haven't see owt like it for ages and ages.

I was glad that t'missus was behind the wheel and not me:)
  • Options
    can't say i was particularly affected by it, the lightening was cool though
  • Options
    we had nothing :confused: no rain or anything.

twas really weird, espec. considering what welsh weather is usually like

and it's not fair :( i love thunderstorms!!! i wish i'd seen the lightning and heard the thunder
  • Options
    thunder kept me awake all night i n manchester on monday night. i was staying near the airport ...big fuck off planes every minute ...police sirens regularly breaking out between planes and thunder crashes ...what a fucking night!
    then around 2pmish i had to drive back to north wales through rain that made visability near zero ...since then been very close.
  • Options
    There was actually a huge storm here yesterday. (even though I'm 5 bazillion miles away from you lot)

2 semi's flipped because the wind was so strong. I was so scared in my little car going home, I couldn't get off the phone with my aunt because she kept talking and talking and I didn't have much control over my steering with the wind being so strong.

There's gonna be another huge storm here again tonight. :( My friends are dragging me to this stupid after party thing that this guy is putting on. He thinks he's the shit because his grandpa is one of the richest men in Utah. :rolleyes: I love picking on him though because he totally tries to "buy" friends and I call him on it every time. :D /back on the subject

We can usually tell when a storm is coming, because there's a really rotten smell outside. Like rotten eggs. but it's the smell from the Great Salt Lake. :yuck:
  • Options
    Its stupid how this whole country seems to malfunction when there is the slightest bit of extreme weather.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Its stupid how this whole country seems to malfunction when there is the slightest bit of extreme weather.
    any kind of weather ...
  • Options
    We went to a (crap) gig in Kings X and were told the tubes were closed so we almost didn't get home. Fun, fun.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    thunder kept me awake all night i n manchester on monday night. i

what thunder? it didnt rain until tuesday morning!
  • Options
    Originally posted by superfly
    what thunder? it didnt rain until tuesday morning!
    if you had been in cheadle around 4am you would have been in the middle of a big fuck off storm.
    if you had been driving past the warrington refineries around 2pm ...you would have been believing the story of noah.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if you had been in cheadle around 4am you would have been in the middle of a big fuck off storm.

or leeds. yes. you must have got the remnants of ours.

but we only had some pathetic rain yesterday when the rest of the country was falling to bits....