Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Camping.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
In a couple of weeks, i've organised god knows how many people to go to a camp site in my area for 2 nights or so for a complete mess up. Just wondering if anyone has any decent tips that i won't have heard before, like cheap tents [Cheapest 2 man i've found is about £25]..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Don't forget to take metholated spirits if you're having a fire. And take lots of muuuuuuuuunchies :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Don't forget to take metholated spirits if you're having a fire. And take lots of muuuuuuuuunchies :)

Only people who lack the ability to build real fires use meths :p

I always end up forgetting the torch when I camp.
  • Options
    Re: Camping.
    Originally posted by Doofay
    In a couple of weeks, i've organised god knows how many people to go to a camp site in my area for 2 nights or so for a complete mess up. Just wondering if anyone has any decent tips that i won't have heard before, like cheap tents [Cheapest 2 man i've found is about £25]..

I paid £15 for a 3 man tent from Lidl

Although I think realtically I'd only want to fit 2 people in it.

My tip is to have some sort of ground mat as the floor gets cold and draw all your body heat down to the ground.
  • Options
    DO NOT THROW MARSHMELLOWS IN THE FIRE.

:blush: had a lil accident when I dropped one on the ground and threw it in.

I :heart: the smell of camping
  • Options
    Re: Re: Camping.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I paid £15 for a 3 man tent from Lidl

Although I think realtically I'd only want to fit 2 people in it.

My tip is to have some sort of ground mat as the floor gets cold and draw all your body heat down to the ground.

Depends what you want... weight, the temperature you'll be in, resistance to rain ect

I'd recommend an army shop as they're usually light and sturdy. Also, if you're looking for a budget stove hexis are dirt cheap, but trangeas are better.
  • Options
    I only got a basic tent cos I'd never been camping before and didn't know if I'd want to go again.

But have to say my friends who have all been camping before thought it was very good.

I quite enjoyed sleeping in a tent .. Asda had some cheap tents too.

I got my sleeping bag form Asda was a mummy style bag with a hood for your head very useful in very cold weather as most of your body heat goes out of the top of your head.
  • Options
    I think I'd beg or borrow equipment where possible, unless you were sure you would use it again.

As others have said, it can get very cold at night even in summer, and very damp! Take thin layers of clothing. Including a good fleece.

If you're thinking of having a fire, check that the campsite allows it first. Some of them don't even allow disposable BBQ`s, which I have to say are a much better proposition than a fire really. I always use 2 for 5 people - the trick with these is you have to move the food around a lot. Needless to say don't cook too near the tent! You'll need something else to cook on as well, obviously.

Are you taking cool boxes/bags? If so, freeze everything you can for a couple of days before you go, bacon, milk etc, and you'll find it'll all stay cold. Even on the third day I'm usually having to remember to take some things out to defrost them.

When you get your tent pitch it somewhere beforehand, like the garden - check it's all there and as it should be, and to get used to putting it up. Sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't bother.
  • Options
    Just thought, have you tried Ebay for a tent?? Or is that not an option?
  • Options
    Check with the campsite regarding noise as well. Some places are very family oriented and do not welcome groups of rowdy teenagers. Ask to be pitched as far away from other people as possible and you'll hopefully not upset anyone.

Also if possible take some music. I bought a cheap CD player from Argos for about £20 and copied a shit load of my albums onto CD when I went to T in the Park a couple of years back. Cause they were copies didn't worry me if they got broke (Or as it turned out the shittier of the albums were used as frisbee's) or if the player got wrecked. Ask everyone to chip in (Should only be a couple of quid each) and you will be greatful for it.

Oh and take plenty of drink and drugs ;) And contraception cause there is nothing worse than being stuck miles from anywhere with a fit lassie and nothing on you :mad:
  • Options
    Try have some activites or something half in mind top do whether it be fire walks pub etc:

Cooking over a fire can be a good laugh- but prob needs some skill and right equipment.So if you dont know how you to use a trangia dont bother learning out there try beforehand.
    Also put up the tent before you go out your back or something so your not trying to do it in the dark and relaisng you have no pegs or something.

Ive done a fair bit of camping and other related stuff so if you need ahand with anything specific giv me a shout
  • Options
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve
    Cooking over a fire can be a good laugh- but prob needs some skill and right equipment.So if you dont know how you to use a trangia dont bother learning out there try beforehand.

I wouldn't call a trangia a fire. I meant an open fire, like bits of wood and stuff!!
  • Options
    Don't forget the tin opener. :(:p
  • Options
    ALWAY CHECK THAT YOUR TENT IS WATER PROOF!!!!

mine wasn't last year...at all....

a guitar is always a nice thing to take, but jack won't be coming with me tomorrow to camp- Jack is my beautiful black electric encore, plays like a dream, who needs a guy when you have a guitar?.

take plenty of clothes, and if you don't have a tent build a bender instead....

oh and if there are showers there, use them! but not hot tubs because they breed bacteria, and i got a very nasty case of conjuctivitis last year...
  • Options
    Cheers for the tips everyone.

Got a tent worth about £60 from my work for like 25 quid so even if it never gets used again i don't care too much. My mate's auntie is a member of a camping club so should lend us shedloads of equipment. Gonna probably ring up the campsite first to ask to be situated far away from everyone else etc as you all say. Cd player does sound like a good idea ninja ;D
  • Options
    make sure you actually bring the tent, i went to the Oxegen festival and left my bag at home with everthing in it, all i had was 2 euro, the clothes on my back and a bag of drugs, thats all i needed in retrospect.