Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Auntie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Auntie has just arrived. She doesn't know I'm gay, which I'm not gonna tell her cos she's not here for that long. I said hi then came into the study. I'm well worried and won't know what to say. Is it silly of me to be hiding in here like this?

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry, if you act funnily she's more likely to suspect something's wrong. If you don't want her to know just try to act normal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Don't worry, if you act funnily she's more likely to suspect something's wrong. If you don't want her to know just try to act normal.

If I act normal she won't find out, I'm straight acting. That's not the issue though, the issue is I'm really, really shy when it comes to relatives, especially when they don't know my sexuality or have just found it. It's surprising how hard it is to avoid saying something silly when you're nervous. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    It's surprising how hard it is to avoid saying something silly when you're nervous. :(

I know that feeling, just tkae a few deep breaths & let others do most of the talking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I know that feeling, just tkae a few deep breaths & let others do most of the talking.

Well that's what's happening. Seeing as I'm glued to the pc with my heart racing. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    go in and offer her a cuppa ...give her a smile ...ask how she is ...then let them do the talking.
    if it don't work ...excuse yaself ...you have work to do on the pc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    go in and offer her a cuppa ...give her a smile ...ask how she is ...then let them do the talking.
    if it don't work ...excuse yaself ...you have work to do on the pc.

mum already got her a drink, I said hi to her and gave her a smile, she said hi then turned around and continued nattering to mum. I ran in here. :crying:
  • Options
    oh hun, talking to my mum is really hard too, she doesn't even know i'm bi. so if i gave you any advice apart from just stay carm i would be being a bit of a hypocrit.....good luck with it all though
  • Options
    I'm almost certain I'm going to sit here like an idiot and ignore the fact that they are here unless they come and talk to me.

My sister isn't in either, she has deserted me, it's always easier if she's here but she isn't, and my Auntie seems pretty happy laughing and chatting to mum without my help anyway.

Excuses excuses I know :(
  • Options
    I'm not much of a family person myself, if she's happy just do your thing elsewhere. If she wants to talk, just steer the conversation away from any sensitive areas. and If she takes total leave of her senses and ask 'So, how's the love-life' as some people do. Fob her off with a joke, or say it's crap and leave it there, rather than having to explain a relationship while totally avoiding the he/she nouns.
  • Options
    It's ok, she's gone now. *relaxes*