Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

i'm in a dilema

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so... by faults that are not my own, my cars gone scary. Squeaking alt belt (again, it gets fixed and like a week later starts squeaking again) I'm dead sure that at least one tire needs air, its got that feeling to it and the alignment is shit. I am planning on driving to the goddlike city of Chicago tomorrow, which is a 6 hour drive from here. (Ok, I lie, it only takes me a little over 5 depending on traffic and the death like-ness after the tolls)

My family is in Ireland until the 8th and the only people I know on the trip there is some family in a city which is 2 hours from here but still another 4 hours from my destination. So if anything happens and I'm stranded, I'm pretty much fucked.

Now my brother, who came home to go with my family on their vacation left his truck here. He gave me the key and said I could drive it if I wanted. But it has no gas and gets less milage than my car so that would cost me more. Plus its a stick and I havn't driven one of those in about 2 years. Needless to say, when I drove one I was shit and now I'll be even worse. And trucks... they are a mans car anyways. But at least his truck is reliable (or so I'm ment to assume)

So what would you do in this situation?

Comments

• Options
    take the truck!
  • Options
    Re: i'm in a dilema
    Originally posted by my_name
    Plus its a stick and I havn't driven one of those in about 2 years.

What does that mean?
  • Options
    Re: Re: i'm in a dilema
    Originally posted by Tweety
    What does that mean?

stick shift. not an automatic.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: i'm in a dilema
    stick shift. not an automatic.

Oh right manual not automatic, i get you now.

Are you insured to drive the truck?
  • Options
    all the cars are insured under my parents with us 2 old enough kids able to drive them so that wouldn't be a problem at all (though I would also die even more if anything happened to it :p)
  • Options
    Take it out for a little practice to remind yourself how to drive a manual car.
  • Options
    Is there nothing like the AA or RAC, or some other roadside assistance thing in America that you could sign up for?

I would take the truck I think. But having going from having 2 automatic cars in a row and then going back to a manual, I know how scary it is, it was like being a learner all over again for a couple weeks! I was bunnyhopping round corners and stalling at every junction hehe
  • Options
    ok, so quick question. you stick the clutch in when you change gears and *don't* need to press on the gas/break at that time. correct? god i feel like a fool not knowing :p

and no, we don't have any road side assistance. well i mean there is some, just we aren't part of it or whatever.
  • Options
    ok, so quick question. you stick the clutch in when you change gears and *don't* need to press on the gas/break at that time. correct? god i feel like a fool not knowing :p

Thats right :)
  • Options
    ok... now time for an even more embaressing question. i'm going to take it out for a test drive so how do you start it? it won't fully start by just turning the key. and now the key is stuck in there too :/ this is turning out to be great.
  • Options
    Make sure it is in neutral and squeeze the gas a little as you turn the engine over. When it starts up, sink the clutch, put it in first gear, bring the clutch up slowly as you press the gas and take the handbrake off.

Just realised it's really hard to give step by step instructions on driving a car. It's something I take for granted! Please feel free to correct me, I'm sat here at my pc going through all the actions of starting my car!! Feel pretty daft!
  • Options
    arg, i cannot get it to start and i can't even get my key out of the ignition and its rolled back a little halfway into the street and this was such a bad idea. why the fuck wont it just start, god, what the hell, and i can't do anything about it and ahhhhh i used to be able to do this.
  • Options
    Get a neighbour to help maybe?

I dunno why all you americains are scared of stick shifts,
    :p
  • Options
    i got it!! my lazy weak foot wasn't pressing the cluth in far enough :p but i still for the life of me cannot get the key out of the ignition :(
  • Options
    ohhhh i got the key out!! what i thought was a button to adjust the placement of the steering wheel was actually the button you had to push to get the key out. well now that i know how to drive this all i've gotta do now if figure out if i want to drive it all the way down there ;) its the tollways that scare me. i'm scared driving that with an automatic. tollways packed full and no lanes for like 100 yards after it. its like a fucking free for all once those gardes open and you can get out. i get so scared :crying:

yes, sorry this is boring but i'm feeling good if ya know what i mean and i've got nobody to talk to so i'll just type lots and lots.
  • Options
    Be a Man! Take the truck, as you say yourself you'll be screwed if you get stranded with your car (dude, do you not have an MOT over there?). Practice now, and to be fair when you're cruising on the freeway you may as well be in an automatic
  • Options
    I'd take the truck, but try and drive it around as much as you can before you go. It sounds like your car is ready to give up and that would be bad if you have no out.

Just relax when you're coming out of the toll gates. Yeah they are crap but you don't have to beat everyone over the line, you can be mellow for a bit and go out in front of some old bloke in a flat cap.
  • Options
    Manda you have amused me & thats hard atm.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I dunno why all you americains are scared of stick shifts,
    :p

Probably because you haven't driven properly before.