Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

So you wanna be a Jungle MC?...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
(Shame on you, theres too many MC's as is)

Seriously now, check this out

Nicky Blackmarket w/MC Skibadee @ Accelerated Culture 29th May 2004

This is Nicky Blackmarket smashing it up (as always) but Skibadee is just comedy.

Fuckin' 30 seconds into the second tune he calls for a reload? And (this was so funny) if you listen to Skiba just after he's finished calling for the Reload, he turns to the DJ and gives a 'Ba-ba-ba-bum-ba-bum!' cavelry charge thing :confused::D ? that was just funny.

I AM NOT HATING ON ALL MC's, they can make the rave all that more enjoyable by providing a link between the raver and the performance, but for fucks sake this is silly.

Nicky B. plays a wikid set, ruined by unoriginal, tired and bloody repetative chatting (how many years has Skibadee been givin up that 'Arnold Schwartzenegger or your Eraser' line for? :no: )

This is one reason i shy away from event tape packs these days, too much shit over beautiful tunes.

(Edited to say: Oh and how long does it take to big up every fucker in the building? To much time focusing on reading the text messages)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Skiba was good when his style was original but it does my head in now.
    I much prefer MC MC's laid back style. Fearless aint bad either.
    There are too many MC's that sound the same now and never shut up.
    A few mates of mine from Southampton who started off at Paradox and Influenza have starting getting a lot of bookings in London and I have this argument with them quite regulary.
    To be honest I've lost intrest in the whole D&B scene at the moment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Skiba was good when his style was original but it does my head in now.
    I much prefer MC MC's laid back style. Fearless aint bad either.
    There are too many MC's that sound the same now and never shut up.
    A few mates of mine from Southampton who started off at Paradox and Influenza have starting getting a lot of bookings in London and I have this argument with them quite regulary.
    To be honest I've lost intrest in the whole D&B scene at the moment.

I'm exactly the same, go to any major event playing DnB (as demonstrated at Global Gathering over the weekend) and the MC's are enough to put anyone off.

All through the site there was a nice, friendly atmosphere even in the corner where hip-hop was blasting out, but the minute you set foot in the Accelerated Culture room you could cut the tension with the knife. There's just too much attitude in the scene, people take it far too seriously and it's starting to r eally bug me now.

All night the music was a bit samey, granted there were some good tunes being played but all the sets I saw followed the same formula and to be honest were pretty predictable. That and with certain MC's (who like you said sound very much the same) chatting bollocks over the music, I had much more fun in other arenas (although, out of the styles on offer, drum and bass was probably my favourite).

Skibadee: In my opinion, he's a good MC - he does his job well (ie. getting the crowd hyped) but it really is about time he came up with some newer original material, we've heard it all a million times before. I'll agree with Fearless being a good MC, I think he's got a quality voice, goes well with it.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see Storm or Whizzkid, etc MC'ing to DnB. Hype B2B Andy C at the last Slammin' Vinyl was made all the better with the fact that Whizzkid was 'pon da mic. :D I'll never forget that. They're better for the simple fact they don't carry an over-inflated ego and an attitude problem, they hype the crowd really well and have good lyrics (Whizzkid especially). Opens up a wholeother topic of rooms with different styles like Helter Skelter used to do back in the day, which I'd love to see but would never happen nowadays, which is a shame.

Give me a lovely-jubbly bit of freeform hardcore anyday! Or a bit of gabber for that matter.. :p
  • Options
    Whizzkid was Mc'in for HYPE AND ANDY C?!?!?!?!?! :hyper: hyper:

Thats gonna be on the D'nb tape pack right? :confused:

You've just sold the Slammin Tape pack to me, just days after i swore never to buy another 'BID-BID-RELOAD' tape pack.

Oh just a point lads, MC's may piss you off now, but how many old tapes have 'MC's' who dont shut up and have no lyrics at all.

CASE IN POINT: DJ Slipmatt @ Dreamscape NYE 1994; ruined by some twat who was so shit that they didnt name him on the tape.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It wasn't actually in the drum and bass room, it was on the 'outdoor' stage (aka, the giant tent). Hopefully they'll do a tape pack for it, or they might even just bundle it in with the other DnB set's, I vaguely remember them doing this with a Scott Brown Rezerection set when that was performed in a completely different arena.
  • Options
    Scott Broooooon did a D'n'B set?
  • Options
    On MP3 I've got a Mickey Finn set. It's only the first 37 mins of the set and I don't know who the MC is, But out of the first 6 tunes of the set, the MC has called for a rewind on 5 of them!!:eek:

Surely that must be frustrating not only for the ravers but for the DJ. Whats the point of going to the trouble of mixing them just to have the record restarted form the beginning.:mad:
  • Options
    I like the old skool jungle MC's like MC MC, Robbie Dee and GQ. All three have a laid back style which doesn't involve chatting bollocks from the start to the finish of a set. Sadly I havn't seen any of them at an event for years.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've never been keen on D&B MC's they're normally just irritating.

But then I'm not all that much of a fan of MC's at all, most of them just get it wrong.

There really is no replacing Sharkey in my effections, he is and always will be the best MC ever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    There really is no replacing Sharkey in my effections, he is and always will be the best MC ever.

...and Robbie Dee, they're both loons.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I have an old set on tape which includes a classic line from Sharkey.

The tune goes 'I wanna see rainbows...' and you hear Sharkey say "I can see more than fucking rainbows mate, I'm tripping my nuts off!"
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The tune goes 'I wanna see rainbows...' and you hear Sharkey say "I can see more than fucking rainbows mate, I'm tripping my nuts off!"

"Mate when I come here tonight I was the most misrable prick you've ever seen - aint done drugs for a week - you know what it needs don't you? Lots of class A's"

"Lord we thank you for ecstasy - ecstasy and acid - fucking amen that's all I need to say"

A good MC doesn't just have lyrics, they host the party aswel - something both Robbie Dee and Sharkey are the best at.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The Helter Skelter '10 Legendery Years' CD + DVD pack is quite good