Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hello and Long distance relationship advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all.

Mind helping a surfacing lurker with a problem?

It's quite simple, really. There's a girl I'm good friends with. She lives a couple of hours away but we chat on the net or on the phone most days. One other complication is a nearly 6 year age gap between us (I'm 23).

Anyway, I think that I really like this girl. I don't know, but I would like to spend time with her finding out. If she lived nearby, I am pretty sure that I'd be spending more and more time with her, doing more and more date-like things and seeing what happens, but because she lives so far away that's not possible. So basically what I'm asking is, should I do or say something that hints or implies that I might have feelings for her, and if I should, what can I do? I don't want to push things too fast - I love the friendship we have and don't want to wreck it. But I have not made a move on people I've fancied for far too long, and don't want to let this pass me by if there's anything there.

I don't really have any idea whether she's interested in me. As we usually interact on the phone or the net, I can't tell if the way she is with me is any different from the way she is on the phone or the net with her (many) other male friends. I do feel that she's a bit flirty sometimes (as am I) - but only gently.

Anyway that's a long enough message for my first real post.

Any thoughts gratefully received!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oops, I guess I should have made it clear that I didn't *meet* this girl online - I knew her before she moved away. It's just that our friendship has developed through chatting long-distance.

I've read all the posts on long distance relationships and internet relationships (I'm a well-behaved newbie!)... I know that long distance relationships are hard (I've been in one before) and that it might stack the odds against me but I still don't want to just ignore the possibility. What I want to know is, how can I start to move things in that kind of direction, especially when I'm not certain what I want.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: WD1 ]
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're not sure what you want then maybe moving things on isn't a good idea just yet? Maybe you should wait until you're more sure before saying anything.