Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Foreigners on here

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As most of the people here are from the UK we use different words to express the way we feel or think than say America. I just noticed my_name said in one of her posts, "top fella he was", and I was wondering if you use British slang like (bit of a bad example) shag or shagging in the real world?

Comments

• Options
    well im not my_name but i know here in NYC (not nessciarilly america because diferent states has different slangs) the term for what you say "Shagging or Shag" we jus use Fuck, sex, and the occicional "I did him"
  • Options
    Shagging is widely used here (I'm from England..)! In places, especially London (sorry if this offends i don't mean it too), words like "buff" make me laugh....! We call those people down here in the westcountry...townies...! And the word fit...blokes use it loads now and they never used to, I'm only just starting to find myself remotely flattered by it!
  • Options
    I'm not being rude, but I think you both completely missed his point.

He's asking if any non-Brits see words often used on here, and then pick them up and use it themselves in real life.
  • Options
    oo well then i know wat ur talking about....the message board i run the majority of people who join are either from england or austrialla. ive picked up words like crikey, bloke, arse, etc i cant remember the rest but it will come up i know
  • Options
    Re: Foreigners on here
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    As most of the people here are from the UK we use different words to express the way we feel or think than say America. I just noticed my_name said in one of her posts, "top fella he was", and I was wondering if you use British slang like (bit of a bad example) shag or shagging in the real world?

Um...nah we grasped the point just fine actually...! Whether we use slang words like shagging in real conversations and in the real word...the answer...yes as far as I know...read read dear! :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Well, I don't speak English in everyday life, but I've picked up some British slang from the internet to use. :)

Although perhaps I don't count as English is not my first language. :o
  • Options
    *hands doc horatio something pretty* sorry if I sounded mean...I was taken with the mood...:)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Foreigners on here
    Originally posted by malteser monkay
    Um...nah we grasped the point just fine actually...! Whether we use slang words like shagging in real conversations and in the real word

Yes, but you live in Somorset. That's not a different country! :p However, I will gladly accept a pretty thing.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I use 1337 in conversation :(

[/sad act-ishness]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    I use 1337 in conversation :(

[/sad act-ishness]

Ummm...can someone tell me what 1337 means? I feel a bit stupid asking, but hey, if you don't ask u don't know!
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    Ummm...can someone tell me what 1337 means? I feel a bit stupid asking, but hey, if you don't ask u don't know!

Okey dokey, 1337 stands for 'leet' which is the 'language' of a deranged group of people online who call themselves "hAx0rz" god knows why its called 1337... but it is.
  • Options
    we're still alowed to use the word foreigner then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    we're still alowed to use the word foreigner then?
    hehe, thats what i was thinking! :D;)
  • Options
    I think I pick up American slang, rather than the British.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    http://1337.net/ explains it all.

1337 is a play on the mis-spelling of elite I think.

thanks for enlightening me!
  • Options
    When I was at work, without thinking I called this guy a twat and he's like :eek2: what?

:blush: (good thing he didn't know what it was or he would have flipped out)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    When I was at work, without thinking I called this guy a twat and he's like :eek2: what?

:blush: (good thing he didn't know what it was or he would have flipped out)

I remember when I first started to use the net and I was on ICQ I called a guy a twat..and he was like OMG you can't call me a vagina!

I was like, eh?! Bear in mind I was 14 at the time and oh so innocent.
  • Options
    you dont say twat in the US!?
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    you dont say twat in the US!?

I use "twat." I live in the U.S. Heck I learned the word in a broadway musical called Chicago, based in a U.S. city!
  • Options
    there are so so many words i've never even heard of, words never used or words never heard in the context before until I read shit on here... just a list of things i can remember

shag
    snog
    bloke
    bird (used for girl)
    mate
    twat
    mobile
    flat
    daft
    bloody
    sounding th words with f
    bollocks
    ned
    feck instead of fuck
    getting on somebodies tits
    being pissed for drunk
    rubish
    fag for cigarette
    yank :p

god there are so many others. half the time i still don't know what you people talk about.
  • Options
    Yeah, a certain someone asked me if I was gonna pull out my baps.......

later i found out that was slang for boobs

god there are so many others. half the time i still don't know what you people talk about

In times like that, just smile and nod, smile and nod. :yes: :lol::p
  • Options
    baps, jugs, wabs, tits

FUNBAGS !

Yeah
  • Options
    i haven't really picked up brittish slang on here.when i first started using the internet i picked up all the abreviations though like.lol,ttfn,etc.and would put them in notes all the time,i actually said lol on someones answering machine one time though.:lol:
  • Options
    A question for all the Americans on here:

what does fanny mean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    A question for all the Americans on here:

what does fanny mean?

i have never heard that word used over here,but from what i have heard in the uk it means your butt,and in austrailia it means your front side.so if you would go to australia and and say they have a nice fanny,you'd be in for a slapping.correct me if i am wrong,but that is what i have heard over the years:)
  • Options
    Nope, fanny here is a somewhat out dated slang term for pussy.

And in the US (some parts) its relatively nice way of saying arse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *ash*n*nick*
    i have never heard that word used over here,but from what i have heard in the uk it means your butt,and in austrailia it means your front side.so if you would go to australia and and say they have a nice fanny,you'd be in for a slapping.correct me if i am wrong,but that is what i have heard over the years:)
    i thought it was the other way round.

always cracked me up when an american would say 'fannybag' meaning bumbag
    or my favourite, when i was like 9 and read the babysitters club books, there was one where its snowing and they 'slid down the hill on their fanny's' i was like 'painful.'
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    or my favourite, when i was like 9 and read the babysitters club books, there was one where its snowing and they 'slid down the hill on their fanny's' i was like 'painful.'
    Haha, that's like them books where the girls called 'Fanny' and the boy's called 'Willy.' I was like, 8, and everytime the teacher said one of their names our whole class would start giggling.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Haha, that's like them books where the girls called 'Fanny' and the boy's called 'Willy.' I was like, 8, and everytime the teacher said one of their names our whole class would start giggling.
    have you seen the posters with the cartoon people called fanny and dick?
    so so funny haha 'fanny loves dick'
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    have you seen the posters with the cartoon people called fanny and dick?
    so so funny haha 'fanny loves dick'
    Thats what I meant. Dick, not Willy. :o

Same difference, innit.