Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Publishing - Help,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend has written a book, well more of a guide.. and she wants to get it published, now how would she go about this, finding someone that might publish the book,

the book is called - "Pain proves your human" from what i've been told, which isn't much it's a guide about depression, other mental health problems and selfharm

Comments

• Options
    Right, first things first, if your friend's book is worth publishing then they shouldn't have to pay to get it published. Any publisher who says they have to pay to get it published is just after their money. That's nicknamed "glory publishing", and anybody can have any book published that way, but it could cost thousands.
    They will have to send off their manuscript to publishers, and keep their fingers crossed. There's a book published by a writers guild that lists hundreds of UK book and magazine publishers, and you should be able to buy it through WH Smiths, Waterstones, Dillons, Browns, etc. Or Check on Amazon.co.uk (search under "Writer" or "Writers"). The book should give all the publisher's requirements, and tips on submitting a manuscript.
    It wouldn't surprise me if you can find several writers guilds/organisations online.
  • Options
    Thanks I will pass it on,
  • Options
    1. There's loads of books on this subject
    2. The book has got to be something that is different form others
    3. The book's content must be 100% orgianl, no stealing form any other sources without prior consent
    4. Go to a bookstore or library and obtain a book on publishing. There are a few titles, such as: "Book Marketing Made Easier", "The Self-Publishing Manual", "So You Want to Print Your Book?"
  • Options
    1. less than 1% of all books written actually get published.

2. don't send it directly to a publisher, they'll just ignore it (unless they're a really shit publisher, and then they won't be able to sell it on)

3. send it out to literary agents (local library, get a book out called 'writer's and artists yearbook 2004' - there's a list).

4. if you're incredibly lucky, quite talented, or very marketable, the agent will take you on.

5. the agent will liase with the publishers direct. this way the publisher will take notice, cause they know the agent will only send quality work their way, and they will negotiate a better rate for you.

(oh my, i did learn something from my degree)
  • Options
    Re: Publishing - Help,
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    - "Pain proves your human"

oh, and i hope it's not called this.

you're
  • Options
    Re: Re: Publishing - Help,
    Originally posted by kaffrin

you're

Hee. :lol:

All the advice given here is far better than any I could have offered....I (and many people I know) have written loads of things and had fleeting ideas of trying to get them published. In reality I know that a) a lot of anything I want to say has already been said (and in a much more eloquent fashion) and b) it's nigh-on impossible to get published unless you're any (or all) of the things kaffrin mentioned in her 4th point :)

I wish her luck anyway :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Publishing - Help,
    Originally posted by kaffrin

you're

thanks kaffrin, and the spelling/grammar error is my mistake, not theres.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Publishing - Help,
    theres.

there you go again :p

but seriously, tell her that there should be absolutely no spelling, syntax, punctuation or grammar mistakes before sending it to anyone.

manuscripts are proof read before printing, but bad english is very offputting, and gives a horrible impression.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Publishing - Help,
    thanks kaffrin, and the spelling/grammar error is my mistake, not theres.
    That should be "theirs". Oooo! I'm a grammar Nazi now! :D
    I do hope their spelling and grammar is better than yours, or they have no hope! :no: Maybe they could give you some lessons?
  • Options
    Oh.. I'll pass everything over to her. thanks :thumb: i seriously think she COULD make it:)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Publishing - Help,
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    That should be "theirs". Oooo! I'm a grammar Nazi now! :D
    I do hope their spelling and grammar is better than yours, or they have no hope! :no: Maybe they could give you some lessons?

:hyper: maybe they could WOOOO