Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've haven't got particularly great shoulders and I've got flabby arms. I'm looking for a nice top to wear to go out on my birthday for a meal and all the tops in the shops seem to be halterneck or thin strapped ones. :(

Anyone got any advice on what kind of top I can wear? I don't usually go out to trendy places, but I will be going to some clubs after the meal and I want to fit in (instead of my usual black!).

Just a few ideas of the kind of thing that is fashionable right now would help. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    have been looking through a few sites, and see what you mean about the sleeveless thing.

but consider layering. for example:

this:

T683886BC.jpg

(good old M&S)

over something like:

T411157C.jpg

(also good old M&S)
  • Options
    You're so right about practically everything being a halterneck these days, especially in the usual places. All the long-sleeved stuff seems to be like a smock, which we all know is neither the most flattering or the most glam of things :rolleyes:

Anyway, Monsoon are fantastic for long-sleeved tops, I got a gorgeous cross-over red-chiffon top from there the other day, £30 and long sleeved. I was spoilt for choice though! And you live in the North-East don't you? The Metrocentre and Newcastle (moreso the Metro) sales should still be on, I warn you though...if you go in you'll probably come out weighed down with new things you didn't need, because it's all so nice. Also you're less likely to find yourself wearing exactly the same thing as everyone else in the pub/club, because while it's high street it's not Topshop.

I had a quick look on the Dorothy Perkins website, because as well as running current fashions they often also have more classic going-out wear. I did see this top but it is black, although with a twist :) I thought it was nice, but it might not be special enough for your night.

You can always try the old faithfuls H&M and TK Maxx, but since you never know what they'll have in at the time, it can be a bit of a mad scrum :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    have been looking through a few sites, and see what you mean about the sleeveless thing.

but consider layering. for example:

this:

T683886BC.jpg

(good old M&S)

over something like:

T411157C.jpg

(also good old M&S)

ooh they are lovely :)
    Originally posted by briggi
    I did see this top but it is black, although with a twist I thought it was nice, but it might not be special enough for your night

and so is that :)