Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as most of you know i had an abortion just over a week ago, and now im suffering. ive just been on the nsh website and im sufferning with most of the sypmtoms for depression, the thing is, my doctor wont see me without my mum knowing and i dont want her to, would the nhs walk in centre do anything or will anywhere else?

Comments

• Options
    Why won't your doctor see you without your Mum knowing? That's madness, and if it's the case then your doctor is breaching patient-doctor confidentiality.

NHS walk-in centres, your doctor (supposedly) or any other health care provider will be able to advise you as to where you can receieve counselling.

There's also this great site which should give you all the information you need to seek counselling. Take a look anyway.

I wish you all the luck in the world, you can get through this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    Why won't your doctor see you without your Mum knowing? That's madness, and if it's the case then your doctor is breaching patient-doctor confidentiality.

In some cases where the person seeing the doctor is under 16 then for the safety and wellbeing of the child he is obliged to tell the parents I think. But I'm not sure :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    In some cases where the person seeing the doctor is under 16 then for the safety and wellbeing of the child he is obliged to tell the parents I think. But I'm not sure :confused:

a doctor can only breach confidentiality if he believes the patient is a risk to themselves (i.e. about to kill themself) or they are a risk to the general public (i.e. about to kill other people). They can (and probably will) encourage you to talk to your parents about it, but they can't make you.
    On very rare occasions if it is felt to be in the best interest of the patient's health and safety or in the best interests of the public's health and safety a doctor will breach confidentiality. However this is very unusual and only occurs under exceptional circumstances, for example, if a person with epilepsy is having fits and continues to drive.

if your doctor refuses to see you without a parent, report them and change doctors.

and yes, a walk-in centre should have the same rules about confidentiality.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if your doctor refuses to see you without a parent, report them and change doctors.

What puzzles me is how the doctor would know your parent wasn't coming. You make an appointment, turn up, go in and once you're there they can't ask you to leave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    What puzzles me is how the doctor would know your parent wasn't coming. You make an appointment, turn up, go in and once you're there they can't ask you to leave!

i don't think they would anyway. i've been seeing GPs on my own since i was 14, about all manner of sensitive issues. nothing's ever been said to my parents. they have always encouraged me to involve my parents in my treatment, but never pushed it on me.
  • Options
    See now I always thought untill you are 16 they can/have to tell your parents, obviously not because when I went on AD's he made me tell my mother I thought this was because he had to due to her being my gaurdian,

thanks for the insight Kaff:)
  • Options
    It's a good idea for a child to let his or her parnets know what is going on, but it is their choice. A patient's records are confidential except in a small number of cases, and being depresed isn't one of them.

If a doctor won't see you without a parent then report him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    See now I always thought untill you are 16 they can/have to tell your parents, obviously not because when I went on AD's he made me tell my mother I thought this was because he had to due to her being my gaurdian,

thanks for the insight Kaff:)

They can't make you tell them.

The only reason my mum knew about me going to the doctors about it is because she was the one that made the appointment for me. If I had made the appointment, she would probably not know about it to this day. Well, no, but you get my point.
  • Options
  • Options
    You can book an appointment with any doctor at your surgery without changing GP. They shouldn't tell you mum, as the others have said, that's against the law.
  • Options
    This feature about medical consent gives you all the facts about seeing a GP under the age of 16.

The link that briggi gave you is definitely worth calling as they'll be trained to deal with the depression you are experiencing. You could also try:

British Pregnancy Advisory Service
    Information and counselling on pregnancy issues, abortion and fertility.
    Telephone: 0845 730 4030
    www.bpas.org

Or, if you want to talk to someone more generally about depression:

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500
    www.careline.org.uk

Depression Alliance
    Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Telephone: 0845 123 23 20; www.depall.org
    The helpline is charged at a local rate and will automatically put you through to your nearest office.

Finally, I wanted to ask why you are so agaainst your mum knowing? I'm guessing you haven't told her aboput the abortion? I can understand that you're worried about how she''l react, but after the initial shock wears off, you may be glad that you've opened up. You need people who know you best to be there for you at the moment - she could provide that support that you really need.

Take care