Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How confident are you about the new season?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
New season only a week away for some of us, how confident are you about your team?

We've got a new manager, couple of decent Bosman signings off Motherwell, and we've got rid of some of the rubbish brought in by the previous reigime.

We've only got about two strikers though, we've got Noel Whelan on trial, and we're looking at Scott Dobie from W.B.A apparently. We need someone in soon though, Rangers at home is just a week away :nervous:

Am reasonably confident though, I'd predict 4th, but Aberdeen being Aberdeen we'll probably finish about 9th and sack the manager :rolleyes:

How confident are you about your team?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    We've gone up a division so we'll have to wait and see how we fare. Last season we won the double and were undefeated in the league (Arsenal eat your heart out) so hopefully we won't fare too badly this year.

Look foward to our game against the Met Police, who are in our division... :D
  • Options
    not sure tbh. after last season, anything really is possible. i would have liked van buyten to have stayed but we really havent replaced him with anyone cos good ol' KK pissed away all our money. and he still wants another striker... :eek2:

as i said this time last year, i'd be more than happy if we finished 9th again like we did when we got promoted. the worthington cup would be nice as well

ETA: why does the SPL start way before the English leagues do, when you play less games? i thought you scrapped the winter break?
  • Options
    I'm feeling quite confident... Rangers have won all four pre-season friendlies so far, against the likes of Fulham, Roma and Topttenham, and we have Newcastle tomorrow.

Celtic seem to have been destabilised by Larsson's departure and O'Neills regrettable personal problems, so they don't look as strong. Camara is the only new signing, but can't see him making too much of a difference.

Will be an interesting season ahead.
  • Options
    champions of the coca cola championship!
  • Options
    I expect us to be relegated.

And the teams I want to suffer the same fate are:
    Rangers
    Man Utd
    Leeds
    West Brom (I also want every single fan who sang about the Bradford fire to see everything they own go up in smoke)
    Hudderscumfield
    AFC Wimbledon
  • Options
    I've got the same high hopes as I had last season, with probably a lot less reason. The quality of play was dire at times last season, and the defeat by Millwall in the FA Cup semis was like a kick in the teeth, not to mention of course narrowly missing out on the top two and failing to get promoted anyway.

I'm also a bit worried about the fact that they only drew with Scunny the other night, but apparently they debuted Mark Lynch and he didn't disappoint.

Hopefully this is gonna be a good season for Sunderland, the fans are back behind them (not that they should have ever been anywhere else!)...hopefully this time next year we'll be gearing up for the Prem, but I won't hold my breath :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Godders
    champions of the coca cola championship!

Don't utter it's new name please! Do the Football League take us for a bunch of fools? The Championship, i ask you?

As for Derby, signed of couple of obscure foreigners plus Tommy Smith. Anything above 17th position has to be an improvement on the past three seasons. Heres to mid-table obscurity!

PS Kermit, what have you against AFC Wimbledon?
  • Options
    think celtic won't be as good as previous seasons but still see them beating rangers

as for my other team liverpool, the usual 3rd/4th postion miles behind the 2-3 front runners
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dan the Man
    PS Kermit, what have you against AFC Wimbledon?

I detest Wimbledon fans because of how much shit they slung at us for relegating them. Twatheads.

And I'm sick of their bleating about "Franchise FC". Either Wimbledon moved or they died, that was the simple bottom line. Merton Council aren't going to allow Plough Lane to be re-developed, Safeway found that one out, so Wimbledon couldn't go "home" and they couldn't stay at Shithurst Park.
  • Options
    Re: How confident are you about the new season?
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    We've only got about two strikers though, we've got Noel Whelan on trial, and we're looking at Scott Dobie from W.B.A apparently. We need someone in soon though, Rangers at home is just a week away :nervous:
    Is this the same Noel Whelan who played for Leeds 500yrs ago??

I haven't got a clue how Leeds will do this year, we have a totally new squad. Pre-season has seen some promising signs from a lot of Leeds youngsters who will be the future at Elland road. Made what seem like some good signings, Blackwell seems to be working hard getting the right ethics into the new players and putting them through immense fitness training. The only problem is if all the new players can group together and start playing as a team before the start of the season. We also have about another 4 or 5 players on trail. We'll have to just wait and see how the season starts.
  • Options
    Blackwell has signed some decent players.

He has also taken Danny Cadamarteri off our hands- and believe me, you're bloody welcome to him.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: How confident are you about the new season?
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Am reasonably confident though, I'd predict 4th, but Aberdeen being Aberdeen we'll probably finish about 9th and sack the manager :rolleyes:

How confident are you about your team?

4th :crazyeyes that is quite confident ...

i would say that we wont do as badly as last year but i would be extremely surprised if they are not in the bottom half after the stupid split.

i would say about 7th for us this year. better than last year though :)
  • Options
    we are gunna win the coca cola championship this season, no doubts about it! we just beat Real Mallorca and East Bengal Tigers (The Manchester United of India!) and won the Pepsi Max Challenge! and we got Martin Keown!!
  • Options
    Re: Re: How confident are you about the new season?
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Is this the same Noel Whelan who played for Leeds 500yrs ago??

I haven't got a clue how Leeds will do this year, we have a totally new squad. Pre-season has seen some promising signs from a lot of Leeds youngsters who will be the future at Elland road. Made what seem like some good signings, Blackwell seems to be working hard getting the right ethics into the new players and putting them through immense fitness training. The only problem is if all the new players can group together and start playing as a team before the start of the season. We also have about another 4 or 5 players on trail. We'll have to just wait and see how the season starts.

Leeds will be like west ham last season. high player turnover new manager etc. I think they will make it into the play offs.

I think leicester and the mighty hammers will battle it out for top spot. Thats why i cant believe our game isnt on tv this weekend. And us versus reading is next tuesday.:eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I detest Wimbledon fans because of how much shit they slung at us for relegating them. Twatheads.
    Everyone needs a scapegoat. ;)
    And I'm sick of their bleating about "Franchise FC". Either Wimbledon moved or they died, that was the simple bottom line. Merton Council aren't going to allow Plough Lane to be re-developed, Safeway found that one out, so Wimbledon couldn't go "home" and they couldn't stay at Shithurst Park.
    I'm not going to bore you with literally tens of thousands of words to prove your wrong about the situation regarding Merton. I've discussed it to death and can't be arsed to do it again. But please take my word for it: there was absolutely no need whatsoever to go to Milton Keynes (or anywhere else) and there were viable plans afoot to return to Merton- the most obvious one being a development of Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium, which already had the approval of the Merton Council and the stadium's present owners. The only reason that did not happen is because the owners of then Wimbledon FC had only one thing in mind: franchising the club and making a nice deal out of it.

You should be very worried (as should every football fan) at the completion of a commercial operation that rubber-stamps the approval of football franchising in this country. There has been talk of a similar fate for other clubs. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if Bradford was moved to Newcastle to "guarantee the survival of the club", as some speculating cunt would no doubt put it to the spineless wankers at the FA.
  • Options
    I have a suspicion that he wouldn't be too upset now that he's moved...?

~~~~~

As for the season, I have no worries. I know that United will compete for each trophy... and that my sons team will do the same...
  • Options
    You mean the team they play in, or the team they support?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    You mean the team they play in, or the team they support?

Just one of my sons (the other is only 5, not quite child prodigy... ;) ) and he plays. The team he's just joined approached him asking if he would like to play for them. They won the league last year and want to strengthen. Must say it made me proud to think that someone else thinks he's pretty good...

You think Fergie and Wenger have battles? Nothing compared to kids football...
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind Bratfud moving up here;)

It's a big worry, and I didn't know about the Greyhound Stadium thingy. My opinion is clouded by a dislike of Wimbldeon, it's bleating fans and it's horrible style of football, but hey:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

And I'm sick of their bleating about "Franchise FC". Either Wimbledon moved or they died

They died anyway