Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MP3 Wipeout

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

I was having a little clean out of my MP3 player and I have gone and deleted half of my Pink Floyd album collection. :mad: :crying: It's taken my ages to get all the albums (from various sources ;) ). Anyone care to help me build it back up again? :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Whats in it for me, and certainly give me a list of songs I'll do them when I can,
  • Options
    Shit sorry to hear that mate - about a year ago my laptop broke and I lost about 1500 tunes :mad:

The most irritating thing is that a lot of them were really obscure and I can't for the life of me remeber the titles or artists so I'll never get them back.

Ahem . . . anyways sorry not really into Pink Floyd - try Soulseek tho if your not already using it, for albums its amazing.
  • Options
    I've got about 10 gig of tunes backed up here, I'm forever loosing and scratching CDs :(.
  • Options
    What albums d'ya need?
  • Options
    Out of the 22 albums released I deleted 11.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Saucerful of Secrets
    Ummagumma
    Atom Heart Mother
    Obscurred by Clouds
    Wish You Were Here
    Animals
    A Collection of Great Love Songs
    Works
    Delicate Sound of Thunder
    Echoes

Oh and I was two short of the complete releases. Needed Tonite Let's All Make Love in London & Is There Anybody Out There? to complete the lot.

I have the rest on my PC. I was trying to transfer the ones on my PC to the MP3 player but I replaced the folder instead of merging. :mad: Thankfully it was only the one folder and not the whole thing.

Any help much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    Out of the albums mentioned, three of them are shit :)

Anyway, stop ripping off the band you're pretending to be a fan of and buy the albums you cheap **** :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cornerstones
    Anyway, stop ripping off the band you're pretending to be a fan of and buy the albums you cheap **** :p

For the record I have the albums (except the 2 I mentioned) on a mixture of vinyl, tape and CD. The CD one's I ripped to MP3 myself. The ones I am now missing are the vinyl and tape recordings.

Am I breaking any laws by attaining a copy of these albums on MP3? :p;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Am I breaking any laws by attaining a copy of these albums on MP3? :p;)
    Not 100% sure, but I think (don't quote me on this) that you're allowed to make one back up copy for your own use should the original become damaged. However, you are not allowed to use the original, and the copy, at the same time - ie not allowed to keep the original in the house CD player and listen to the copy (inc MP3's) on another player. However, as long as it's for personal use you're unlikely to get into bother over it. It's when you're distributing (sending and recieving) copies of music that you could be in trouble, as that's piracy and copyright theft.

I have noticed that the people who do "provide" collections of MP3's on disk often put a disclaimer saying something along the lines of that they're provided as samples, and you should either own the originals, or destroy the disks within 24 hrs. A bit of a grey area I think.
  • Options
    You are allowed to own back-up copies of music you have purchased as part of your implied copyright license. Record labels get royalties from sales of blank CDs and casettes because of this.

You also cannot steal intellectual property. Therefore it is not illegal to download copyrighted material, and it is not illegal to own material without a copyright. It is illegal to offer this material for public sale or for public broadcast, and this does include allowing others to download the material from you.

Basically it is ilegal to share not to download.