Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

smoking weed while taking tamezepam?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
was jsut wondering if theres anythign shady bout the two

any comments would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Cannabis doesnt really badly interact with anything, some people find it confusing when on trips and others say it makes them puke on alcohol.

As for with temazepam, it wont do you any physical harm, its likely to make you more confused and might add to the sedative effect of the temaz.

What are you taking temazepam for if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    In mod mode, I would suggest that if you are taking temazepam you probably shouldn't be smoking.
  • Options
    But if they have been prescribed temazepam for short term insomnia then there shouldnt be a problem as such.

But then thats somewhat unlikely because benzo's are being used for that less and less.

If he/she has got a script then its probably for severe stress or muscle relaxation. The latter could even be helped by the cannabis.

But, I certainly wouldnt want to recomend it without knowing more.
  • Options
    im taking it at the mo alongside chlorapromazine for severe anxiety and i kniw most people say the weed contributes to the anxiety but it atually helps me out was jsut wondering if was known to be problematic
  • Options
    Well i don't really know much about tamezepam but as you said there it's helping you, well then what's the problem?
  • Options
    How long have you been on it and what is your dose?

I presume your doctor is putting you forward for some other type of treatment, he should really not keep you on benzo's longer than about 4 weeks at the tops.

As for cannabis and stress, well it is a hallucinogenic and those arent really the best things to be doing when under stress.
  • Options
    In that case, I was reading about chlorapromazine here and it seems that in combination with cannabis it may increase the risk of Central Nervous System depression, making you sleepy or making it hard to breathe.

If you add the CNS depressive effect of the Temazepam (a benzodiazepine), then you are looking at a very increased risk of problems. Added to the meduim term effects of cannabis on increasing anxiety disorders, I would strongly recommend you lay off smoking if you are serious about improving your state of mind.

If you are interested, there is a charity called No Panic who have loads of useful information on their website about panic and anxiety disorders, and also have a free helpline, 0808 808 0545, to answer questions - maybe they will be able to give you a more definitive answer.
  • Options
    Benzo's dont actually have all that much effect on the CNS in terms of heart and breathing rate. (at normal to medium dose levels)

They are somewhat like GHB or ketamine, both will put you under but are unlikely to kill you by themselves.

Its very different when you mix them with things though. I dont know how the temzepam will mix with the other. I presume they will not interact too badly because they have been prescribed together.
  • Options
    I agree that the doctor probably knows what he is doing. But you are throwing cannabis in to the mix, there is very little information out there on what that does when combined with two other CNS depressants.

Besides the fact that my main concern is the overall offect of smoking cannabis on rossco's state of mind. I think people in the situation described need to think seriously about how strong their desire to be better actually is, and whether the pleasure of smoking one day balances against the risk to their future mental health.
  • Options
    Oh, certainly, if you are on med's for a mental health issue its really not all that advisable to take one more on top.
  • Options
    I knew you agreed, I just wanted to make it crystal clear. ;)
  • Options
    I'm still not sure how much impact the cannabis will have on the CNS as such, though is he/she is smoking poor qaulity with CBD in it then there could be.

I was actually surprised about the CNS impact of Benzo's, I thought they did effect it, but apparently not all that much by themselves.
  • Options
    Can I ask you then, if you were in that situation right this minute, would you risk it?
  • Options
    Hmm, well, I'm reformed, I'm an old married man, I dont use.

But, my advice would be not to smoke, or at least cut down.

Having said that though, if genuine relief is being gained from smoking then perhaps its not bad.

BUT, that is VERY subjective because we all know there are potencial mental health concerns over cannabis use.
  • Options
    thanks for all trhe information guys i have cut down my usage of dope and the stuff ive been smoking is of good quality
    so its not dodgy at all ive been put on the tamezepam for only a short while but i think i will cut down a lot more for now to make sure my mental health improves

many thanks
  • Options
    Glad to hear it rossco, I hope it helps and things work out for you. :)
  • Options
    I think thats for the best Rosco, if you dont mind me asking what dose are you on of the temaz and other and how often?

Oh, and if you fancied talking to someone about Benzo's theres a Release are bound to know everything about them EVER. www.release.org.uk I think it is.
  • Options
    im on jsut 10mg of tam and 20 - 40mg of the other one cant even rememmber the name of it now
  • Options
    Have you been on that dose long?

Remember coming off benzo's if you have been on them long term is only something you should do under the direction of your doctor.

Has your GP put you forward for any form of mental health treatment to go with the drugs?
  • Options
    ive benn on them for about jsut over a week now i think and yes i am get councelling (sp?) are they hard to get off as the doc said they wernt addictive

mind you he did say that about steroids when i was on them and was hooked on them for ages
  • Options
    That is mosterously dangerous advice.

Benzo's are very addictive if used over longer periods, I would really discuss other options with your GP if you are to be on them longer than a month.

There is a serious physical and mental addiction that can build up and coming off them if physically addicted can be horrific. In the worst cases can even cause death.

If used for a month though they are relatively safe and actually have very minimal impact on the body and health.
  • Options
    cheers bongbudda thanks for that

how come you know so mch about this?
  • Options
    I was involved in 'the scene', as it were, for a few years and I've had a couple of mates fuck up on this or that. You end up just picking things up as you go along.
  • Options
    I take clonazepam (for anxiety and panic disorder) before I smoke and it stops the panic from ever rearing its ugly head while I'm trying to have a good time.

There's no side effects at all, so I don't see any problem.
  • Options
    yeah the question was jsut too make sure there wernt any majopr side affects from the both and the stuff your on junker sound basically the same as what i have