Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Free trade"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have only recently begun to look into the sinister underbelly of politics, which is far more interesting than the mainstream propaganda, and free trade is one of those misleading terms that had me fooled for a while.........the rhetoric sounds nice but what the WTO really does is hand over power to the big corporations to do what they like with little or no regulation, and force already poor countries into further poverty by telling them how to run their countries........

nationalistic ideals are poo-pooed, although it clearly worked for countries like Japan in the 70's, where foreign investment was discouraged (this practice is now illegal)........free trade is supposed to reduce poverty, whereas in reality it doesn't redistribute wealth at all, it allows western companies to come along and undermine nations' domestic economies, making the fat cat fatter, its sickening really......why does Britain champion free trade? because we're bastards.

Comments

• Options
    and half the problem lay with us.
    we want big overstocked cheap priced goods on our supermarket shelves in season or out of season ...in fact even seasonal has become a reduntant term as far as food goes ...
    we live with privatisation of everything on the planet ...companies are monstorous in size ...often being worth more than the country they operate in.
    we can't even have much say over our rubbish collection any longer as it's fucking spanish!
    rice farmers can't farm rice cos american super cheap rice has flooded the market ...it's all gone tits up i tell yea.
    mamon rules ...cos we encourage it. we have been brainwashed to encourage it but surely ...it just can't last?
    surely it will all collapse around our short sighted greedy little grubby hands and stoney hearts ... i'm rambling.
  • Options
    There IS no genuine free trade in the world!

I believe that Western nations are fearful of true free trade as it would cost jobs in their economies. Think of it! If goods were cheaper from some African country, would you pay more for the same quality goods which came from a first world nation?!
  • Options
    i read that the world's largest 200 businesses own a quarter of the world's wealth.......thats staggering........Britain's foreign policy is to cater for these corporations every whim.......we are greedy, but most people are oblivious to the cost of this greed to the rest of the world.......we take it for granted, and then turn around in shock and horror when terrorists (i use this term loosely because we terrorise the rest of the world) attack us because they want more equality.........

and of course this gives the US and UK a convenient pretext to carry on invading at will.......its all linked together, and it all makes me sick.........to the point where im questioning if i can live in a 'developed' country with my conscience intact.........im dead serious.
  • Options
    I don’t understand your point.
    Are you against free trade? Or you think that WTO, IMF etc are not real supporters of free trade?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Or you think that WTO, IMF etc are not real supporters of free trade?

This is what I think. Free trade is a myth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    This is what I think. Free trade is a myth.
    No, free trade is not a myth. I took part in it not long ago when I bought a monitor through Trade&Exchange newspaper. It was a real free trade that is an agreement between a buyer and a seller without any third party’s intervention like Inland Revenue, Ministry of Finances, District Court, WTO, IMF, EU, UN, Mafia, Junta, Mossad, Al-Quaeda, Progressive Party of Luxemburg, Union of Chairmakers, Society of Crocodiles’ Rights so on ad infinitum. Surely they all would be happy to be there to tax, regulate, ban, license, restrict and demand their fair share… but they failed.
  • Options
    how do you justify free trade agreements where one side, primarilly the USA doesnt follow its agreements, like with the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) - the mexican farmers had all subsidies lifted and everything, yet loads chreap subsidised american produce crosses the border, and yet the WTO says nothing whatsoever
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    how do you justify free trade agreements where one side, primarilly the USA doesnt follow its agreements, like with the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) - the mexican farmers had all subsidies lifted and everything, yet loads chreap subsidised american produce crosses the border, and yet the WTO says nothing whatsoever
    Because neither WTO nor USA are for free trade. They are babbling about it while doing the opposite. But this doesn’t mean free trade is something bad. Look here, no one government nor a supranational institution can be a real supporter of free trade. Real free trade reduces their incomes and influence. If people bought and sold things without governments’ control, what would politicians and bureaucrats do? They would get jobless.
  • Options
    No, free trade is not a myth. I took part in it not long ago when I bought a monitor through Trade&Exchange newspaper.

Like that's relevant to international trade and finance. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    my point is that the ideal of 'free trade' as sold to the public by the govt. is bullshit, it doesnt exist........all it does is benefit the already rich western economies at the expense of developing countries, and the policies implemented by the WTO in the name of free trade are completely unfair, yet legally binding.
  • Options
    I’m not sure you know what free trade is. Your words “the WTO really does is hand over power to the big corporations to do what they like with little or no regulation" prove this. Free trade is no regulation, no tariffs, no quotas, no embargos, no any kind of governments’ control over buyers and sellers. It doesn’t matter whether big corporations, small businesses or individuals are those buyers and sellers, the point is their bargains are theirs only and nobody including governments or supranational institutions shouldn’t have the right to dictate their conditions.
    Your other mistake, “all it does is benefit the already rich western economies at the expense of developing countries ”. This is just impossible. Free trade benefits both sides and protectionism harms both sides as well. People of Western countries are harmed by protectionist policy as well as people in developing countries. Only governments and special interests have profit from protectionism( though it is discussible even in the case of special interests. I think they lose in long run too)
  • Options
    Free trade will never happen. Like all political theories, it is unworkable in practice. There will always be groups who will band together, form monopolies and cartels, and other groups will use protectionist policies against this.
  • Options
    No, it’s wrong. I explained that free trade does works on a small scale so it can work on a large scale as well.
    This protectionism-monopoly issue is one of the most curious delusions foisted on public opinion by Marxist and Keynesian economists. The fact is that any monopoly and cartel is created by State ( that itself is the most powerful monopoly, the monopoly on aggressive violence) and it can’t work at free market conditions. Every practised businessman knows that market can’t be monopolised, this is the same as to try to keep air in a cage but professors of mainstream economics ( who are not able to run a bakery and who are paid by govt) are convinced in the opposite.
  • Options
    i dont know who your trying to impress labrat, but your missing the point......let me try again........i know what the theory of free trade is, im saying that in practice this is not whats happening, the big TNCs are roping governments and ultimately the WTO into forcing developing countries to stop tariffs for imports and subsidies for their domestic businesses, which is killing the chances for poorer nations to become wealthier, yet we are told that free trade will help to eradicate poverty...........well, not the way we're going about it.
  • Options
    I actually dispute the existence of TNCs, to be quite honest. But that is just a side-issue, for clarity use the term MNC instead.

The WTO is not for free trade at all, it is actually against free trade. It does not allow the governments and the peoples of those countries ot decide their own wages and their own buying and selling terms; it imposes them. It's effectively protectionism- the interests of the Western governments are protected.

Free trade in its ideological sense will help to eradicate poverty, as there would be no dominant protected interests. If the African coffee farmers wanted a better deal, they would just not sell their coffee (thereby harming the purchaser) until they got one. Of course, the ideological ideal is flawed, given that people are not individual actors and will band together to get a greater bargaining position, but free trade as an ideal can and would help eradicate third world poverty.

Doling money out to the Third World doesn't work either; as has been shown on numerous occasions, the Third World countries just go out and buy guns with it. Take Ethiopia- starving population, well-equipped army and air force, long-running expensive war with Eritrea. Giving them more moneuy doesn't work, and giving them aid doesn't work because the army just goes in and seizes it.

Third World poverty is oging to be imposible to eradicate, unless the defnition of poverty is changed. Which is what Blair is trying to do.
  • Options
    half the problem seems to be that the establishment called it free trade ...so lots of people are now fighting against free trade ...when thats not what they're fighting against at all.
    they are fighting against subsidised 'free' trade but it's very easy to loose sight of it all.
  • Options
    No, it’s wrong. I explained that free trade does works on a small scale so it can work on a large scale as well.
    This protectionism-monopoly issue is one of the most curious delusions foisted on public opinion by Marxist and Keynesian economists. The fact is that any monopoly and cartel is created by State ( that itself is the most powerful monopoly, the monopoly on aggressive violence) and it can’t work at free market conditions. Every practised businessman knows that market can’t be monopolised, this is the same as to try to keep air in a cage but professors of mainstream economics ( who are not able to run a bakery and who are paid by govt) are convinced in the opposite.

Any monopoly and cartel is created by the state? What the fuck? :confused::confused: And won't work in free market conditions? :confused::confused:
    What the hell are you on about? :confused::confused:
    What will stop people with similar interests banding together? Never heard of the Medelin Cartel? The illegal drugs trade is as near to a free market as we currently have, and you don't think monopolies and cartels exist?

Are you on crack? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Free trade in its ideological sense will help to eradicate poverty, as there would be no dominant protected interests.

Aye, and there's the rub. There will always be dominant protected interests.