Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

holiday hair solution

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going on holiday and not taking a hairdryer with me. Normally I blow dry my hair to make it smooth. If I don't blow dry it goes a bit kinky and frizzy and looks messy.

Can anyone recommend any good products for me to use while I'm away, or hairstyles to try out? I always wear my hair down unless it's dirty and I don't know many styles.

It's going to be really hot there, last summer my hair went all knotted from the heat, and my highlights went green from the pool, so I want to be careful!

Comments

• Options
    Do you insist on wearing your hair up? Or is it just 'cause you don't know many styles?

Personally I'd recommend loose knots, ponytails and plaits. Keep it loose and not too groomed...if you can't wear the tousled, beach-hair look on summer hols then where can you?

If you want to prevent it from even getting to the tousled stage, I would recommend putting it back in either plaits or a plait (depending on your hair's length) especially in the pool or ocean.

Someone else can probably link you to photos of these kinds of styles, but if not you'll already know what I mean...lots of girls wear their hair this way day to day...just loose but off their face.

When you're out and about it's definitely best to cover your hair, it's as sun-sensitive as your skin and can get really damaged from too much exposure. If you don't have them already, invest in a hat of some sort (Accessorise et al do some lovely ones!) or a few differently coloured/patterened headscarves. Even if you're the type of person who'd never dream of wearing one at home, they're ideal for hot holiday locations. And they do look fab, in my opinion anyway.

If you look in Boots or somewhere similar you'll see special ranges designed both for your hair colour, and also for the beach. I forget what they're called but someone else can probably tell you :) Anyway, these ranges have products which you can put in your hair before sun/sea exposure to protect it. They also have the intensive conditioners etc, which are definitely worth investing in despite costing a fair few quid! When I used to swim regularly I used a Shampoo/Conditioner range called Sun and Swim (or something to that effect)...it was blue, not too expensive and I bought it from Boots or Superdrug. Definitely worth looking out for something like that.

Well, this was a whole lot of babble :) Hope part of it helped!
  • Options
    i think leave in conditioners or mousse are a good idea.