Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

TPFT or fully comp?? which would you choose??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my car insurance is due for renewal in october, and ive had 2 quotes from my insurance company! it was just under £1000 last yr, but this year its going down to £650 third party fire and theft, and £710 fully comp!! (great, i only expected 1 years no claim bonus to save me about £100 :hyper: )
Now, my parents have recommended going for fully comp, as they said the main difference between this and TPFT is that if my car is wrote off in an accident which is MY fault, il still get some ££ for my car!! Sounds good, right??
However, somebody else has told me that if this was to happen, then my insurance would double at least, maybe triple, bcos i have claimed off my own insurance!!
I like the idea of going fully comprehensive, but at the same time want to save my money for next yrs insurance+any repairs! Im going uni in october and was just wondering what you'de all do in my situation?? trying to budget you see...
Thanx
SBG
:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I'd go fully comp.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Go fully comp, well worth the extra 60 quid.
  • Options
    I agree, go with fully comp :D
  • Options
    :yes:, this is what im thinking. trying to find some information about the 2 different types of insurance, cos im abit clueless, lol!!!
    Its helped bcos you get a 10% discount if you buy offline aswell :thumb:
    cant wait to renew my insurance!!
    i know that sounds stupid, but ive been religiously (sp) putting £100 a month away to cover my insurance and tax, and im quite proud of myself :thumb:
    SBG
    if anyone can give me any info about insurance, or any links, id be v happy :D
  • Options
    If you make a claim then yes your insurance goes up.
    I have fully comp now i dont have an old banger.
  • Options
    Btw try www.tesco.com just to see if cheaper.
  • Options
    A few months ago, my Mum had gone to pick up an old classic sports car she'd been waiting ages to get. Her and my Step-dad went and the man she collected it from lived just away from a bend. My Step-dad stood by the bend to check no one was coming and there was no one there so my Mum moved out.

Unfortunatley a young lad in a corsa came zooming around the corner into the back of my Mum; writing his car off.

He only had third party fire and theft and as a result, would've had to fork out for a new car.

So, as you do, he claimed by Mum pulled out infront of him.

It went to a mini court thing the other week, and he won. :mad:

The person defending the lad put it to my Mum that she'd been so excited about getting her car that she pulled out in a hurry and she pointed out that she was 48 not 14. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Btw try www.tesco.com just to see if cheaper.

Yes, try Tesco. :D

I save 10% being staff and all.

It's gotta have its' perks. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Yes, try Tesco. :D

I save 10% being staff and all.

It's gotta have its' perks. :p

its tescos that im with :yes: you get 10% for buying online, but if you work there cant add your staff discount to this discount aswell (my mates mu used to work for them)
    Lucifer devil - wot a bugger, bet ur mum was well annoyed!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    Lucifer devil - wot a bugger, bet ur mum was well annoyed!!

She wasn't actually. :eek2:

I would've been!

My Mum isn't gonna pull out infront of a speeding car, she's not stupid. Pffrt.
  • Options
    Elephant quoted me over £2,000 tpft when I was a learner.

Ooops, I've still not told Tesco insurance people that I passed my test.
  • Options
    diamond wanted £2500 to insure my car third party fire and theft :eek2:
  • Options
    diamond wanted £2500 to insure my car third party fire and theft :eek2:

Whaaa? They can't be for real.
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    Whaaa? They can't be for real.

i know, what a rip-off. but then again, quite a few people my age got a quote with them, and they were really expensive :eek:
  • Options
    Go for fully comp as the price difference is so small between TPFT & Fully Comp.

So it's better to have the highest level of cover available. You might even be able to drive any other car & you'll be covered TPFT on it.

How much is your brum worth?

The insurance companies advise that if your car is worth more than £5k then go fully comp but if it's less then TPFT is just fine as if you have an accident then the insurance can easily class your car as an economical write off & they will scrap it even though you my only need a couple of hundred £ to get it fixed & back to its former glory.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    You might even be able to drive any other car & you'll be covered TPFT on it.

If anyone wants to know, this is normally only for over 25's.
  • Options
    How much is your brum worth?

The insurance companies advise that if your car is worth more than £5k then go fully comp but if it's less then TPFT is just fine as if you have an accident then the insurance can easily class your car as an economical write off & they will scrap it even though you my only need a couple of hundred £ to get it fixed & back to its former glory.

well i paid £1600 for it, but does that mean its worth that?? is there anyway i can find out its true value?? i will prob go fully comp, cos i understand it better now, just wanted ur opinions!

My first car was wrote off a week after i passed my test - not my fault! they wrote it off+then a few months later i saw somebody driving it around!! they totally wrecked it, the lad who had it crashed it 3 times+eventually i found it in my local scrapyard looking very sorry for itself!! :cry:
  • Options
    Some more info:

Don't go with a 10 month bonus accelerator policy as you maybe under the impression that you get 1 years NCB(No Claims Bonus). You do get 1 year NCB but it'll only be valid with this specific insurance company.

So say if you did a 10 month bonus accelerator policy with Elephant & wanted to change to Tesco for your second year then Tesco won't recognise your 1 NCB as being valid.

Don't go with Admiral or Elephant as they are very reluctant when it come to claiming if you have an accident.

If you're female then defiantly try the female only insurance companies.

Insurance quotes can be rather erratic & you think that they just make up the price. For example:

I did a quote on a 1991 reg Peugeot 1.4 205 xs which is an insurance group 8 car(pretty high), 18 year old male, o NCB & Full drivers license.

Directline.com quoted me:

TPFT~£1445.85 Fully Comp~£1507.80

Quoteacar.co.uk quoted me:

TPFT~£1704.87 Fully Comp~£2224.95

So we have a £300 odd difference for TPFT & £700 odd difference for Fully Comp:eek2:

If you're unsure about anything else then just ask me:)
  • Options
    well i paid £1600 for it, but does that mean its worth that??

Depends if who you bought if off of took you for a mug or not;)

I'll can try & find the true value(what insurance think it's worth) all i need is:

Make
    Model
    Engine size
    No of doors
    What reg
    Mileage
  • Options
    Depends if who you bought if off of took you for a mug or not;)

I'll can try & find the true value(what insurance think it's worth) all i need is:

Make
    Model
    Engine size
    No of doors
    What reg
    Mileage

ok, il PM you those details! and ive just remembered that i actually only paid £1300 for the car+the guy replaced the cam belt (i think thats the right part, but il check with my b.f later)
    Im not too bothered really, bcos il still love it, even if its only worth 50p :yes:
  • Options
    I'd recommend Norwich Union.
    They definately quoted me happy, The AA quoted me almost double Im paying with Norwich Union!
  • Options
    For me, Direct Line is cheapest at the moment by £60 over anyone else I have tried. Tesco was not cheap at all, nor was more than or admiral.
  • Options
    I've only got TPFT cause my car is not worth a great deal. also cause it was a lot more (like £200) for fully comp, on anything. and I'm not planning to drive my car into owt.

but if there's only a small difference, it's best to go fully comp, cause that'll cover all the stuff you don't think of, like a stone cracking your windscreen and it costing the best part of £100 to replace.

and tesco were cheapest for me out of anyone. and i mean really anyone. my dad's one of these types who likes a good deal, and he checked EVERY company. i think direct line were in second place, but it was still a good £100 a year more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Latino diva
    I'd recommend Norwich Union.
    They definately quoted me happy, The AA quoted me almost double Im paying with Norwich Union!
    Id recommend norwich union too.
    theres was the lowest quote by far for us. we told our old company the new quote and they said they couldnt match it!!
    norwich union
  • Options
    With the quotes you've got, I'd go fully comp. £60 difference is nothing.
    If the car was only worth a few hundred, and a big difference between the quotes, then I'd go for TPFT. I've always had cheap cars, so always gone for TPFT.
  • Options
    Yeah, £60 over one year is nothing.
    As for your insurance going up, if you pay monthly and have recieved a contract like myself it won't.
    It'll only go up if you try and move to a different company.
    Besides, the cost of getting the car fixed yourself if it were a write off would be a lot more than any extra you'd pay for your insurance. What would you do for example if you had just bought a £5000 car on credit and wrote it off as you drove out the show room????