Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Time to build a shelter in the basement: Tony to send us all survival pamphlets

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    lol, why not, it's what I'm going to do :D

As for the pamphlet, something annoys me.
    If terrorists released a nuclear weapon especially, what makes people think ringing 999 will do? That's if it even worked.

"Yes, can I speak to the people responsible for saving me from the nuclear fireball about to hit my house please"
    "Please hold".

:lol:

I was thinking that as well.
    You would be too busy shitting your pants to run to the phone and make a call.. fuck sake!

Surely these pamphlets should of been sent out ages ago anyway?! We have been hearing about a possible attack for years now and they decide to send us one now.

I dont believe there is a threat of a major attack its just the government trying to put the fear in people to help justify this war on terrorism.
  • Options
    There wouldn't be a 999 TO ring if a nuke went off :yeees:
  • Options
    I think the website is excellent. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I think the website is excellent. ;)

*cough*Teaganbeatyoutoit*cough*
  • Options
    That will teach me not to be lazy and to read the whole thread.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    That will teach me not to be lazy and to read the whole thread.

It's so funny it's worth mentioning twice though:)
  • Options
    Gota love the ministry for vague paranoia...

Waste of public money. Let's face it if something of this magnitude ever happens then the country is fucked anyway. All you will get is people rushing to the stires to hoard bread and milk just like they do at Christmas every year. The shops can't cope with that little event and they know it's going to happen.

BTW The NHS would cope with any attack. You'd just have to wait for ages to get treated because we'd be looking after the clinical teams first...
  • Options
    I was talking about peacetime NHS resources coping with one attack on one city.
    If say, Nottingham was nuked. How would the local NHS be able to do ANYTHING without fresh water, electricity e.t.c.??

When we talk about casualties, they would run into the tens of thousands.
    Imagine 20,000 people swarming to a hospital looking for help. Imagine 20,000 people swarming to every hospital and you'd still have troubles.
  • Options
    There wouldn't be much of a local NHS left anyway wouldn't it? The walking injured would have to travel some distance to find facilities still standing up and outside the fallout zone...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I was talking about peacetime NHS resources coping with one attack on one city.
    If say, Nottingham was nuked. How would the local NHS be able to do ANYTHING without fresh water, electricity e.t.c.??

But it wouldn't be left to your local NHS to cope (partyly because it's likely not to be there anymore ;) ) but the problem would be swallowed across the who service sector.

Basically the plan is, for example, in the event of a London attack.

All hospitals around the country would discharge anyone who didn't need a bed. You'd be surprised at how many people suddenly become "fit" once an "Major Incident" is called.

Then all patients still needing hospital care in London would be transferred around the country, leaving these hospitals with sufficient capacity to cope with demands.

Admission criteria is changed and each person is prioritised.
    When we talk about casualties, they would run into the tens of thousands.
    Imagine 20,000 people swarming to a hospital looking for help. Imagine 20,000 people swarming to every hospital and you'd still have troubles.

BVut not all patients will go to hospitals, or at least be admitted to hospitals. THere would be other treatment centres set up with nurse-led and GP led teams to treat minor cases. This frees the hospitals to treat those patients who "need" these specific services. Even on an average day there is a huge proportion of people attending A&E who don't really need A&E services specifically.

What you have to remember is that there is a huge resource out there which isn't part of the Acute Hospital set-up.
  • Options
    thing is it is very doubtful we'll be nuked hiroshima style ...more coventional firework with waste attactched ...dirty bomb.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I've just been searching the net for second hand tanks, if I start stockpiling now I could start my own army safe in the knowledge that I'll probably have more firepower than the British army after these defence cuts.
    http://www.milweb.net/webverts/8832/
    ?id=5666009Chieftain.jpg
    HAVE YOU TRIED EBAY??id=5666009
  • Options
    I wasn't aware terro's had nuclear material or at least they haven't been moving this material outside Afghanistan. I do think the next Al Qaeda strike will be a devistaing blow if executed to full effect which I should imagine would be some kind of radiological/chemical/biological bomb.

Terro's are just pykies tbh.
  • Options
    HELLOOOOOOOOOO!? WHAT? NO, I'M IN A NUCLEAR BUNKER RIGHT NOW! WHAT? NO IT'S RUBBISH!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    HELLOOOOOOOOOO!? WHAT? NO, I'M IN A NUCLEAR BUNKER RIGHT NOW! WHAT? NO IT'S RUBBISH!

Dom Joly?
  • Options
    Yup, the one and only.

Buy the way, if you want some serious hardware, have a look on eBay for that war ship, only 6 million squid.
  • Options
    Buy the way, if you want some serious hardware, have a look on eBay for that war ship, only 6 million squid.

That still up for grabs? Would have thought that Osama would have snapped it up by now...
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I've just been searching the net for second hand tanks, if I start stockpiling now I could start my own army safe in the knowledge that I'll probably have more firepower than the British army after these defence cuts.
    http://www.milweb.net/webverts/8832/

It's a criminal offence to have a private army in the United Kingdom.
    I'd post a link containing the exact legislation, but I can't find it. Sorry!

Oh well, as for the hospitals, I'll just use the force doctor if I need one. Hehe.
  • Options
    I presume though that as long as the tank is 'decommissioned' (i.e. having its guns removed and such) it is still okay to own one isn't it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I presume though that as long as the tank is 'decommissioned' (i.e. having its guns removed and such) it is still okay to own one isn't it?
    yes ...just outside oswestry theres a pub with two american ones in the carpark ...the landlord is a military buff.
  • Options
    It's a shame "Preparing for Emergencies" doesn't have the "brown alert" language and presentation of Protect and Survive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Or join the TA like I'm doing, at least I've got some power to do something. Hopefully, if I get in *crosses fingers*, I'm going to be trained up as a combat medical technician.
    ah yes, the brave TAs

good boys, you form a human wall 3 miles out from the bunker while us important people go inside.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware terro's had nuclear material or at least they haven't been moving this material outside Afghanistan. I do think the next Al Qaeda strike will be a devistaing blow if executed to full effect which I should imagine would be some kind of radiological/chemical/biological bomb.
    New scientist had an interesting count of how many radioactive sources the US lost track of after it 'liberated' Iraq
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carriage Return
    New scientist had an interesting count of how many radioactive sources the US lost track of after it 'liberated' Iraq
    there is an almost unlimeted supply of cessium. a relatively unprotected supply at that.
    this would be the terrorists choice for a dirty bomb. it's this material that will leave huge parts if not all parts in some circumstances ,of cities like london...uninhabitable for 500yrs.
    would kill probably no people at first though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carriage Return
    ah yes, the brave TAs

good boys, you form a human wall 3 miles out from the bunker while us important people go inside.

I think there is nothing braver than someone VOLUNTEERING to protect the country in their spare time.
    Would you be able to live your life knowing at any moment you may be called upon to do your bit? of course you couldn't, you highlight as much with ridiculous, small minded views like that one.
    Same goes for the special constabulary and retaine firefighters. All people giving their time for NOTHING to help make our lives that little bit safer.

I could call you a whole lot of other things, selfish bastard being one of them, but I'll refrain.