Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Time to build a shelter in the basement: Tony to send us all survival pamphlets

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've stocked up on duck tape and we regularly practice duck and cover.
    14175_4.jpg
    A gentle poke to keep us all in a state of fear.

And feel glad that you are paying for these pamphlets to be printed, in order to continue to execute an illegal war for immoral reasons.
    If they can crank up the fear a bit more then internment for UK nationals shouldnt be too hard to put through parliment.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If they can crank up the fear a bit more then internment for UK nationals shouldnt be too hard to put through parliment.

It wouldn't he anyway.

Labour have a majority of 165, and they've proved over the top-up fees debacle that none of them have a sense of morality.

Make it financially beneficial to have martial law in this country and the MPs would vote for it.
    Well at least we havent got our version of the Patriot Act, yet.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Well at least we havent got our version of the Patriot Act, yet.

Give it time.

If New Labour get a third term, I expect it soon after.
    We still have a free and diverse media, I can't envision a patriot act over here.
    We do have the terrorism act but it's nowhere near as draconian, and I believe is proportionate to the threat.

As for what to do in an emergency? Well being part of the police they'll give me a rifle and tell me to keep law and order
    (watch threads, they do it with traffic wardens).
    hehe, I can't wait.
    Do they just hand rifles out left right and centre then, I thought you werent even a full police enforcement operative.
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    We still have a free and diverse media, I can't envision a patriot act over here.

We have the BBC.

And New Labour kick the BBC at every opportunity, give it time and the BBC will become completely discredited.

Murdoch owns what's important in the UK media, don't forget that.
    You need to watch the film Threads.
    In a post apocalyptic society, 135,000 police officers wouldn't be able to keep order.
    All uniformed personnel with some police experience as well as the armed forces would be required to enforce the law.
    PCSO's and Traffic wardens would be given full police powers.
    Local governments would be given emergency powers to deal with criminals as they see fit in order to ensure the smooth rebuilding of the country.

Law as we know it would vanish, instead laws concerning the theft of food and fuel would be rigorously enforced, whilst others such as murder would not be.
    To the governments of a post apocalyptic world, one less person is one less mouth to feed. As a conscequence, there would be no prisons, whats the point in feeding people who won't work?
    Well the measures for the re-newing of the Charter are fairly suspect and obviously are done to try and stave off Government intervention.
    Incidentally I'd love to get my hands on (or at least see online) government brochures from the 60s and 70s advising how to survive a nuclear war.

I'd imagine those living in the country would have a moderate chance of being alive one year after a nuclear holocaust... but for those of us living in cities or near air bases or other worthy targets, I'd imagine the chances of survival, pamphlet or not would be nil.

Many of you will have heard of Raymond Briggs' superb comic When the Wind Blows. It tells the story of an old English couple who attempt to survive nuclear war and religiously follows the government's advice pamphlets. A very sad and sobering work!
    If we're talking about full on, world powers going at each other type nuclear war, then we're all dead, those at the North Pole might be alright for a while, but they wont last.

The far more likely option is a dirty bomb, an old X-ray source or something similar blown up with semtex.

This probably wouldnt actually kill many people in the blast at all, but you'd get a lot of sick people and many birth defects etc.
    I remember reading that book at primary school. It terrified me that there were weapons around that could do that to peopl!
    I was only 9 after all.

To be honest, if there were a nuclear war, life as we know it would be gone.
    Imagine a nightmareish world where the government clings onto what little power it has by executing people for the smallest of crimes.
    Where people are forced to work to rebuild the country in exchange for food which is controlled by the military.

A quote from Threads
    "The entire peacetime resources of the NHS would be unable to cope with just a single bomb".
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Incidentally I'd love to get my hands on (or at least see online) government brochures from the 60s and 70s advising how to survive a nuclear war.

the best were in the 80's when ronnie and maggie were facing down the soviet union.
    'protect and survive' ...pull a door off and lean it against the kitchen table ...cover with as much soil as possible ...and stay there with your radio and torch and beans ...for the next 5oo yrs.
    whitewsh your windows to deflect the heat from the nuclear blast ...seriouslyon the telly non stop 1980/81 and leaflets through the door ...was quite scary ...scary cos even the dumbest could see these leaflets were taking the piss.
    trouble is ...the credability problem.
    in some it will instil fear. in others derision.
    WHAT ...are we supposed to believe?
    the politicians have screwed us AND ...screwed themselves.
    there is no longer any faith.
    I made these points to an American internet friend earlier ... that the whole background to 'When the wind blows' leaves me so sceptical about this 'advice' that we are to receive.

Does anyone actually believe that the government would give us neutral information about the terrorist threat? The only difference is that then they downplayed the risk so as not to play into the hands of CND etc whereas now they overplay the risk so as to 'reveal' that those who oppose the war on terror are 'delusional'.

I don't like being cynical like this! I want to be realistic about government - critical where necessary, supportive where appropriate. But somehow I just don't trust this. Maybe it's because I watched the film version of 'When the wind blows' at the impressionable age of 15 (at school, no less ... but the Cold War was over by then - maybe it was less politically charged).
    Originally posted by J
    As soon as possible I'm going to go live in the jungle, and swim in the lakes, cook wild boar on camp fires and climb trees and have animal sex with a girl who I drag off from the city. There's nothing much here for me.
    LMAO J
    i found the mountains of north wales to be just fine. we're running out of boars though.
    Do you think I may have looked at the wrong web site? ;)

http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk
    What a load of pointless rubbish that pamphlet is. It doesn't even tell you how to build your own nuclear shelter, gas makss and water purification filter!

How are we going to cope when Al Qaida explode their nukes and release their stockpiles of VX gas??!!

:rolleyes:
    Well if the bomb does drop I'm getting my body armour, a gun and stockpiling all the food and fuel I can find.
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Do you think I may have looked at the wrong web site? ;)

http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk

Of course, this is the REAL one ....

http://www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk/
    Tp be honest I don't get the outrage.
    Rather recieve the information, than not having it at all.
    Who knows? It could be helpful.
    No preparation would work in the face of a large scale attack.
    Your best bet is to board up your windows, buy a gun and loads of food and wait until everyone's dead.
    No preparation would work in the face of a large scale attack.
    Your best bet is to board up your windows, buy a gun and loads of food and wait until everyone's dead.
    i can qoute you on that officer?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Tp be honest I don't get the outrage.
    Rather recieve the information, than not having it at all.
    Who knows? It could be helpful.
    In a straightforward world this would be true. However our Tony is well known to use scaremongering to push his agenda and to cause distraction from his own failings and misgivings.

What bothers me the most is that this pamphlet has been three years in the making. Yet is so basic and simple a 12-yeard old could have written it in half a day. It doesn't do much more than giving a few emergency numbers and advising people to stay indoors in the case of an attack, and to have a few essentials stored up. This, I trust, 99.9% of the population already knew.

For the amount of time and money it took them to come up with it I would have expected something rather more comprehensive.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i can qoute you on that officer?

lol, why not, it's what I'm going to do :D

As for the pamphlet, something annoys me.
    If terrorists released a nuclear weapon especially, what makes people think ringing 999 will do? That's if it even worked.

"Yes, can I speak to the people responsible for saving me from the nuclear fireball about to hit my house please"
    "Please hold".
    lol, why not, it's what I'm going to do :D

As for the pamphlet, something annoys me.
    If terrorists released a nuclear weapon especially, what makes people think ringing 999 will do? That's if it even worked.

"Yes, can I speak to the people responsible for saving me from the nuclear fireball about to hit my house please"
    "Please hold".
    it's a mad world ...
    Originally posted by J
    Or join the TA like I'm doing, at least I've got some power to do something. Hopefully, if I get in *crosses fingers*, I'm going to be trained up as a combat medical technician.
    mobilize! mobilize!