Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eriksson To Go

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Apparently.

Should whether he can keep his cock in his pants have anything to do with his ability to be England manager?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As ever the tabloid press is allowed to run the country and decide what should be important and who stays and goes :rolleyes:

England have done better under Sven than under many others. If England ultimately fail to win tournaments it has a lot more to do with the fact that they're not good enough than that its manager has a life outside football and- horror of horrors!- has cheated on his girlfriend.

This country is is becoming more and more like the puritan USA. It's as pathetic as is ridiculous.
  • Options
    No doubt people will compare it to Hoddle, but he publicly stated his beliefs that disabled people deserved it.

I really don't get why people's private lives are so damn important, it's like with Beckham, the only person it concerns is him and his wife.
  • Options
    It's pathetic really...I wouldn't expect to be sacked from my job for having an affair, unless my job was to be out and about preaching about the sanctity of marriage. So why should Sven lose his job over this...and indeed if he does, why didn't they give him the boot over Ulrika? That was (arguably, and this could change) a huge scandal because it involved a fellow "celebrity", yet he came out of it looking pretty alright, and the two women involved resorted to playground name-calling.

Anyway, that's not the issue, as usual I'm going OT. To answer the question: no, not at all. He should be judged on his merits as a manager and team-builder, and of course the results he produces. He and Nancy could be swingers for all I care.

I do suppose it will draw comparisons to Hoddle, but it doesn't warrant any...because Hoddle is a twat and what he said deserved a public thrashing imo, nevermind redundancy.
  • Options
    Agree that he should go. But not because of this affair. Its pathetic. He should go because hes not good enough to take england as far as they should be going.
    But please god dont let McClaren be manager.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Godders
    Agree that he should go. But not because of this affair. Its pathetic. He should go because hes not good enough to take england as far as they should be going.
    But please god dont let McClaren be manager.
    Why is he not good enough as a manager?? The only reason we didn't get further in Euro 04 is because key players did not perform. The only thing Sven is guilty of is not having the balls to drop Owen and Beckham. But can you blame him, I know they didn't really perform throughout the tournament but they are both proven world class players and I personally think the confidence of the team as a whole would drop if Beckham and Owen weren't in the starting line-up. Sven is the best England manager we have had in a long while.

Who would you have as the manager????
  • Options
    Beckham was just pure shit. Thats because in Spain in central midfield you stand in the centre circle and just spray the ball about. So he has lost his fitness and probably his best asset-his work rate. But didnt you see Scolari, take a risk in the quatre final and take off Portugals captain, Figo? Look how that paid off, the other bloke scored a goal.

Owen was shit because of Svens tactics. He had one chance all tournament-one goal. Not bad. He was shit because when we went ahead, we defended and the midfiled and defence were too far away from the forwards and owen cannot out muscle centre backs. And before you talk about Rooney he was playing deeper than Owen so he saw more ball.

Svens tactics are good for a league. But World cups and euro championships are not leagues im afraid. But as i have said before i give Sven abit of credit, he has made us a good solid side, but we could be so much more than that.

As for who to replace him, i havnt got a clue. I think its too soon for any good english manager but he will have two years to learn the trade and with our side we should easily qualify. So i feel- Steve Bruce or Alan Curbishly.
  • Options
    Owen was shit because of Svens tactics. He had one chance all tournament-one goal. Not bad. He was shit because when we went ahead, we defended and the midfiled and defence were too far away from the forwards and owen cannot out muscle centre backs. And before you talk about Rooney he was playing deeper than Owen so he saw more ball.
    Do you really think that was Svens tactics, "go out and score a goal lads and then sit on the edge of the box for the rest of the game"?? Because I don't, you could see Sol trying to push everyone out so I doubt he was doing it because he knows better than Sven. It was the teams fault they got knocked out, not Erikksons, people just find it easy to blame the manager. The players didn't perform, the players defended too deep. Do you think they when they trained erikkson had them sitting back and soaking up pressure?? If so I think that is a really stupid suggestion imho.
  • Options
    The manager tends to take the blame, and the glory in the end. Look at Fergie, in our eyes he can do no wrong, even when he fucks things up we'll still defend to the death. Sven thinks hes still in Italy where sitting back wins things.

If its really down to the players abilitys, England have some big problems.
  • Options
    England are not good enough to win a major tournament. They cannot pass a ball well enough, and that is not a new issue- it was around for Taylor, Venables, Keegan and Hoddle.

An England manager cannot rectify this in such a short period of time- if he tries and gets the players together longer, then all the clubs whinge, bleating about how the players are being over-played (whilst still refusing to lower the amount of games played in the Chumpions League).

How far should England be going then? If you look at the FIFA rankings then England are going about as far as they can expect to, the players are not world-beaters. They're very good, but they don't have the extra bit of class required, as Brazil showed so magnificently in 2002.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Do you really think that was Svens tactics, "go out and score a goal lads and then sit on the edge of the box for the rest of the game"?? Because I don't, you could see Sol trying to push everyone out so I doubt he was doing it because he knows better than Sven. It was the teams fault they got knocked out, not Erikksons, people just find it easy to blame the manager. The players didn't perform, the players defended too deep. Do you think they when they trained erikkson had them sitting back and soaking up pressure?? If so I think that is a really stupid suggestion imho.

Well you tell me who decides then? Its human nature to sit back abit yes. But its also human nature to listen to the man in charge. Sven should of been gettin Sammy or steve mcclaren to scream push out. We give teams too much respect. in the 1st half we outplayed France, when we played a good balanced game. Why did that really have to change. Yes be abit more cautious, dont give away a league. But dont stop going to look for another goal.
    And as for Portugal, we are a better side.
  • Options
    Like you say it is human nature, and that imo is the main reason that throughout the Portugal game after the early goal we sat back. What Erikkson did to add to that was bringing Neville on in midfield, this made us even more defensive and that was Erikksons fault. But no-one can really blame him for us not being the best team in Europe, the only reason for that is that we just wasn't good enough. If Beckham and Owen had performed like we have seen them do in the past it could have well being a different story.
  • Options
    I suppose we should give him until 2006 so long the world cup qualifying campaign appears to start well)
    and then look at other options if we don't do well.
    5 years in the job and failure to get beyond the quarter finals in 3 sucessive major tournements wouldn't be good enough progress.

The fact that he did little to discourage the approaches of Chelsea show a lack of commitment which are more worrying than shagging his PA.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    The fact that he did little to discourage the approaches of Chelsea show a lack of commitment

*yawn*

Why SHOULD he have come out and said anything abotu some cock-and-bull story The Scum came up with. It's the same with Vieira Mark 67, the papers make stories up out of nothing and then say it shows a lack of commitment when the people involved don't deny it.

The newspapers in this country are far mroe to blame for any failure England have had than the players ever will be. I blame The Scum for Beckham's performances.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Like you say it is human nature, and that imo is the main reason that throughout the Portugal game after the early goal we sat back. What Erikkson did to add to that was bringing Neville on in midfield, this made us even more defensive and that was Erikksons fault. But no-one can really blame him for us not being the best team in Europe, the only reason for that is that we just wasn't good enough. If Beckham and Owen had performed like we have seen them do in the past it could have well being a different story.

What and Greece are?
  • Options
    What and Greece are?

Defensive and one-dimensional?

Isn't that why you hate Eriksson?

Make your mind up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Defensive and one-dimensional?

Isn't that why you hate Eriksson?

Make your mind up :rolleyes:

Greece do it because they have no real quality. They are like the germans. They can defend as a unit. And defend quite well. Where as England do not play in this way.
  • Options
    Greece do it because they have no real quality. They are like the germans. They can defend as a unit. And defend quite well. Where as England do not play in this way.

No.

And maybe if they did they might win something :yeees:
  • Options
    I think I'm with Kermit on this on and don't really know what your trying to get at godders.

That is the only way Greece can play to have a chance of winning so they probably practiced it before and throughout the tournament. England however won't of being practicing it as it is not there natural game and they do have enough quality to not play like this. When the human nature has them sat back England looked rubbish, no-one in the right mind would instruct England to play this way. If Erikkson did then I agree, get him out, but I honestly believe it was the players doing more than his.
  • Options
    The main trouble with this country is that everyone always expects England to win 27-0, whereas the simple fact of the matter is that England haven't won a major tournament for nearly 40 years. And haven't even looked likely of winning it since 1970.
  • Options
    I think England are good enough to win. But im not saying we will win every game. I just get pissed off with the France game where we should of won but became too negative. And the Portugal game where again we was too negative.

The point im getting at, is Greece go out to defend and catch teams on the counter. Because in the german and greek leagues they play like this.

No one really plays like that in the premiership do they really? The game is fast and frantic, with high energy levels. Why dont England play like that?
  • Options
    I agree, expectations are always high for the England team. But I think the high expectations are quite rightly justified when you look at the team on paper. The truth of the matter is that they just didn't perform in Euro 04. The starting 11 throughout the Euro 04 was filled with world class names.

1. David James (only liability imo)
    2. G.Neville (didn't used to like him but thought he was excellent in Euro 04)
    3. A.Cole (played well)
    4. Sol Cambell (excellent tournament, world class player)
    5. Terry (did Ok, world class player)
    6. Lampard (played well, world class player)
    7. Beckham (played shit, world class player)
    8. Gerrard (did excellently, world class player)
    9. Rooney (played excellently, world class player)
    10. Owen (played shit, world class player)
    11. Scholes (did average, world class player)

So to me looking at that line-up,expectations are bound to be high because we have some amazing individual talents, unfortunately for us not all performed as we know they can.
  • Options
    There are only two reasons why Sven's affair should result in the sack. And only one where the public should be clamouring for it.

If you can prove that his affair affected
    • his ability to judge players
    • his selection policy
    • his ability to coach
    • his tactics

Then the public have the right to ask for him to be removed. But it is still the employers decision.

The FA have a different issue, as an employer, to expect him to tell them the truth and not to embarrass the organisation. To do so is gross misconduct in any walk of life. If they feel that he has breached this trust then as an employer they can sack him. However, that is between him and his employer and the public (and more importantly the media) have no right to intervene in this issue.
  • Options
    apparently that mark palios guy has resigned, dont know many details at the minute. fat lot of good he did, get that adam crozier bloke back, wasnt he working for the royal mail or something?
  • Options
    Poor old Mark Palios, twat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Poor old Mark Palios, twat.

Can't say I shed any tears either.