Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vaccines against drugs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea, it's all part of growing up if they want to try it. Not the government taking that right away as soon as your born.
  • Options
    Maybe a little reeducation is needed then. Drugs shouldn't be "part of growing up" or at least it wasn't when I was at school, and it wasn't for anyone I knew or knew of either.
  • Options
    No, of course it won't be.The effects won't be there for users, they try something and they don't get high...they will crack up.

So do you not know of anyone who takes drugs now?
  • Options
    I might point out that its not anyones 'right' to break the law.

I hate to say it WhoWhere, but the majority of 6th formers leaving school now have at least tried cannabis once. So, it is indeed 'part of growing up' for most.

Its just a shame the governments drug education is horrifically bad.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware we were talking about cannabis. I'm talking about cocaine, heroin, crack e.t.c.
    Drugs with proven negative effects on the individuals and their families, in much the same way as nicotine and alcohol.
  • Options
    I think its probably fair to say that not many people can use crack on a semi-regular basis and not have problems with it.

But they arent the instant death and dispair that they are made out to be.

There are many users of cocaine that dont develop a habit.

It is an education issue really, if people actually knew the dangers that went with drug use then they could make educated decisions.
  • Options
    And for those people that fall past the education we can have a vaccine that cures them of the addiction!

I'm not naive enough to think a vaccine would work alone, but combine with other forms of help would be more effective than the current system.

Imagine a heroin addict, just been released from prison, he is very likely to use heroin again, probably because he realises what a crock of shit his life has become.
    He decides to go on one of the current courses designed to beat the addiction and does well. Only he can't overcome the physical addiction he has for the drug. So currently he is slowly weaned off the drug using methadone. Slow and expensive.

A new system would see him doing the course then being given the vaccine to destroy the addiction immediately.
  • Options
    But you've condradicted yourself there, the bloke gets out of jail knowing how shit his life is, so, where does he turn, who's the one person he knows who will open the door? The dealer of course.

The heroin isnt really the root cause of the problem, thats really only a physical thing and can be taken care of.

Its the reason why they are using that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I

There are many users of cocaine that dont develop a habit.

It is an education issue really, if people actually knew the dangers that went with drug use then they could make educated decisions.
    i thik the issue could possibly be our attitudes to the city we have built ...and the attitude to those outside its walls.our attitude seems to be one of over indulgence in everything ...own own own ...get get get ...people will seek relief. over eating ...binge drinking multiple drugging ... have we become so bored and complaceant that we don't realy care ...the general mood and perception of joe public is 'so what'.
    'nowt i can do about it'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    A vaild point apart from the fact that MMR isnt linked with autism at all, or at least no decent evidence has come out of anywhere to suggest a link.

Hence I said they're thought to... Nobody knows what causes autism (personally it wouldn't surprise me if it were something nutritional)... But there's no smoke without fire and to be honest I can see why some parents wouldn't wanna risk it.
  • Options
    Hmm, interesting logic, MMR is one of the most widely used vaccines in the world and we're the only country where they make an issue out of it.

The WHO has found no evidence that its in any way linked, neither has the NHS.

The diseases on the other hand are horrible and known to cause serious harm.

I can see your point though, if you havent the time or intelligence to look into it you may well take 'MMR kills children' type headlines seriously.