Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vaccines against drugs?

As you may have heard in the new the special committee set up by the government is expected to suggest vaccination as a possible answer to our drug problem.

The one for cocaine that is in development has shown good progress and one for nicotine is nearing the end of testing.

Now, would you allow your child to be vaccinated against cocaine, nicotine and heroin?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No I wouldn't. I'd want my children to grow up to adulthood and decide for themselves whether shooting up is a good idea, rather than me and the government messing up with their bodies.

Can we vaccinate our children against ever voting for scumbags such as Blair and Blunkett though? :mad:
  • Options
    Its more than a little Clockwork Orange isnt it.

But, well the nicotine one would be difficult to turn down, its the biggest cause of preventable death and give no 'high' to the user.

But, how can we suggest vaccinating against a legal past time?!

I think the cocaine one has potencial though, at the moment there really is fuck all to give coke addicts. I think it should be an option available to those addicts who want it.
  • Options
    this isnt about addicts i believe, i think its about making someone less suseptible to the physical addiction of these drugs

but in small doses alcohol isnt actually addicitive, and most people turn to alcohol addiction after going through problems in life they cant deal with

i think its a good idea, but it should be down to parents, not government as thats a bit creepy and controlling
  • Options
    Actually the trials that are being conducted with the cocaine one are being done with addicts.

Mass vaccination is only the extreme possibility they are considering at the moment.
  • Options
    oh yeh if i remember correctly, it stops the receptor accepting the cocaine molecule, or the body converts it before it reaches it, so the user experience no effects of it what soever, thus making it pointless
  • Options
    Indeed, it bonds with the cocaine to produce something the body will attack like a virus or bacteria. Thus you have anti-bodies against the cocaine.

One could well question the health complications of this though, cocaine has been used by many for long periods, opium for even longer. No body is yet to produce an anti-body, why is that?

And there is the issue of heroin being very closely related to the bodies natural pain killers. Could this anti-body create a body without these and therefore someone constantly in pain?
  • Options
    hmmm thats my doubt, opiates and cocaine derivatives are useful in medicine for pain, and numbing nerve endings etc so could be dodgy

tackling a drugs problem is really hard to do, so in addicts its a good idea, but cause of the other uses of these drugs, i dont think mass 'vaccination' would work

btw no body has ever developed resistance to cocaine, cause it does its damage and gets metabolised too easily for it to be permently recognised by body, i think it last in brain for max of 20 secs - this isnt the high effect but time the actual chemical last in brain

deal with the drugs problem throgh a individual apprach i say
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    But, well the nicotine one would be difficult to turn down, its the biggest cause of preventable death and give no 'high' to the user.

Could have fooled me. The buzz I get from the first smoke of the day, or after a few hours without, is something which I would describe as a high

~~~

In answer to the question posed, no I wouldn't want my children vaccinated against personal choice, just because "someone" has decided that it's bad for them.

Whatever happened to personal choice?
  • Options
    Yes, there is a slight stimulant or relaxation effect, nicotine is wierd that way it can be both.

But, it doesnt produce a 'high' in the traditional drug sense of the word, in terms of strength its in no way comparable with the effect produced by other drugs.
  • Options
    Yes, there is a slight stimulant or relaxation effect, nicotine is wierd that way it can be both.

The relaxation effect is something I understand. This is caused by the brain craving the nicotine and thus stressing itself. When the nicotine is recieved the brain relaxes. Nicotine itself is not a relaxant but many smokers believe it does not realising that the main reason they are stressed is because of their addiction...
    But, it doesnt produce a 'high' in the traditional drug sense of the word, in terms of strength its in no way comparable with the effect produced by other drugs.

Yeah I understand. I never got a high from my first smoke. I would expect something different from other drugs...
  • Options
    I just consider tobacco a waste of money on killing yourself so I would perhaps consider vaccinating my kid against it.

I have nothing against smokers as such, I just see it as a waste of money.
  • Options
    I have nothing against smokers as such, I just see it as a waste of money.

It is. But the taxes pay a large part of the NHS bill, so it's not all bad.

Personally, rather than vaccination, I would go for legalisation and taxation. Sounds much too sensible for any politician though...
  • Options
    Yes, but tobacco is legal and taxed and it kills shit loads.

I just dont see the 'average joe' really being able to handle relatively cheap and available cocaine. Moderate users would become heavy and heavy users would mess up in spectacular style.
  • Options
    Yes, but tobacco is legal and taxed and it kills shit loads.

I just dont see the 'average joe' really being able to handle relatively cheap and available cocaine. Moderate users would become heavy and heavy users would mess up in spectacular style.
    there are a million ex cocaine and heroin addicts working amongst you ...getting on just fine ...all this no other alternative stuff is a bit over the top ...people have beaten addictions for generations without recourse to ...DRUGS?
    ...and you would trust this stuff? something that in my opinion is attacking spiritual desires in men that have been there a long time ...hey we found a way of switching off these peoples means of escape ...sounds fucking scary to me.
    no i most certainly wouldn't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Could have fooled me. The buzz I get from the first smoke of the day, or after a few hours without, is something which I would describe as a high

What I was gonna say.
    When smoking while sober (which I've done maybe 3 times) I got too lightheaded for my own liking.

Either way, I didn't understand what the vaccine did?
    Take away the addiction, or the side-effects?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    It is. But the taxes pay a large part of the NHS bill, so it's not all bad.

Personally, rather than vaccination, I would go for legalisation and taxation. Sounds much too sensible for any politician though...

but it kills stupid amounts of people and it smells awful, and you dont need to do it

dont give a f**k what tax is provided, if you can get everyone to stop, even if it takes time, ill see that any day
  • Options
    how many tons has average joe handled quite well on the whole over the last few years? those who fuck up bong ...are in the minority of users ...look at the tonnage involved and look at the damage caused ...

I just dont see the 'average joe' really being able to handle relatively cheap and available cocaine.

well mate ...it's readily available and it just keeps on getting cheaper ...our assylums aren't bulging at the seams ...our cemetries realy aren't filling up with recreational coke heads ...people are on the whole far more sensible than you give them credit for ...a minority end up with problems be it drink or drugs.
  • Options
    No i wouldn't want my child to have it done to them, i would want my children to experience it all themselves if they want to or not, it's their choice.

The government trying to take away the right to take certain drugs as soon as they were born, people should have the right to try it.

I know people don't have to smoke wheresmyplacebo but come on, i just like something about smoking. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    I know people don't have to
    but we are still driving to fast living to fast dying to fast. theres loads of things we should stop doing ...like going to war ...will there be an injection for that as well?
    how about selfishness and small tits?
    lying?
    call me old fashioned but ...i actualy like the human race!
  • Options
    so whats the next vaccination? to turn everyone into normal, boring drones who never miss a day at work and pay their tax on time......free choice should never be tampered with, dangerous game.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but we are still driving to fast living to fast dying to fast. theres loads of things we should stop doing ...like going to war ...will there be an injection for that as well?
    how about selfishness and small tits?
    lying?
    call me old fashioned but ...i actualy like the human race!

But none of these things are going to stop happening, so are you saying to stop people smoking cigs rolly?
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    ......free choice should never be tampered with, dangerous game.
    and fucking frightening that people embrace this stuff more and more and with glee!
    the sc-fi in my day was always spooky ...showing you hints of what the future could be like if we got it wrong ...usualy cameras watching every move you make ...eyes watching every penny you spend and what you spend it on ...this along with dying eco systems was the usual scenario ...for fucks sake i'm now finding i'm living in those worlds!
    'welcome ...to the machine ...'

i have travelled here from a very different world than what you consider to be normal ...you never know ...i might be obsolete soon ...literaly ...my generation ...the last unchipped version.
    we're doomed i tell ya.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    But none of these things are going to stop happening, so are you saying to stop people smoking cigs rolly?
    i'm saying these injections will be available to kill every human desire if we aint careful.
  • Options
    Yea and it's shite.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    how many tons has average joe handled quite well on the whole over the last few years? those who fuck up bong ...are in the minority of users ...look at the tonnage involved and look at the damage caused ...

well mate ...it's readily available and it just keeps on getting cheaper ...our assylums aren't bulging at the seams ...our cemetries realy aren't filling up with recreational coke heads ...people are on the whole far more sensible than you give them credit for ...a minority end up with problems be it drink or drugs.

But cocaine related deaths are rising sharply and use has trebbled over the last few years.

If you reduced the price even more and upped availability then these problems would only get worse.

I was talking to an expert about this yesterday and he was quite against mass vaccination. He commented that addiction isnt really about the drug as such, its about the conditions you are trying to escape.

Thats why these will never work unless as part of a whole scheme of drug re-hab.
  • Options
    What exactly is wrong with creating a vaccine that CURES addiction to noxious substances?

Wouldn't the country be a better place if hundreds of thousands of people suddenly realised that they've got better things to do than stare down a bottle?
    Wouldn't it be great that instead of trying to wean heroin addicts by giving them a course of expensive drugs, you can give them one injection and they are cured?

As for cocaine, it's a nasty drug with a huge number of people hopelessly addicted to the effects, having to take more each time to ensure they recieve the desired effect.
    Simply legalising it isn't going to make the lives of people better, they'll still suffer the side effects, they'll still need more and more and more.
    If the stuff has no price tag then what's to stop people taking it?

A vaccine on its own wouldn't work, but imagine the look on the face of someone who has become so hopelessly addicted to something that if they had the choice during their rehab they could be suddenly cured and be able to reenter society as a productive member.

I think it's something that should at least be trialled alongside other methods to see the result, instead of being dismissed immediately because it smells too Orwellian for you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No I wouldn't. I'd want my children to grow up to adulthood and decide for themselves whether shooting up is a good idea, rather than me and the government messing up with their bodies.

Can we vaccinate our children against ever voting for scumbags such as Blair and Blunkett though? :mad:

But it's not, since when has shooting up with heroin EVER been good for anyone?
    A responsible parent would warn their child of the dangers and make every effort to ensure they didn't fall foul of it.

As for Blair and Blunkett, yes Blair is an arse. Blunkett is however trying to make good reform when it comes to law and order. He, like everyone else is sick of people who claim to have more rights than the victims they terrorise?

Take the case of Michael Polizczuc, a violent gun criminal from Nottingham. His face was one of those featured in a name and shame campaing, appearing on billboards and newspapers with the words "No such thing as untouchable" along with details of the hefty prison sentence he recieved.
    Without giving any regard for the untold number of lives he ruined during his "career" he is attempting to sue Notts Police for violating his human rights.

The only people disgusted by the name and shame are him, his lawyers and Liberty. The rest of Nottingham poured in letters of support to the police.
    Anyway, gone off topic, sorry.
  • Options
    This wouldnt cure addictions though, I heavily suspect that it would just mean people changing their addiction to something else.

Abuse of hard drugs is in the main escapism, if you dont change what they are running away from then they will find another means of escape.

And as for when has heroin ever been useful? Do you know of its medical uses. Its a very good pain killer with next to no harmful effects what so ever.
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust the authorities with this, nor would I ever allow my children to have them. I mean look at the MMR jabs they're giving, which have been thought to be linked to autism... who knows what the hell they're putting in these jabs and Mr Blair is the last person on earth I'd trust to ensure the safety of my kids.

If they wanna try drugs it's their choice. I mean Jesus... it's a part of growing up innit?
  • Options
    A vaild point apart from the fact that MMR isnt linked with autism at all, or at least no decent evidence has come out of anywhere to suggest a link.