Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Problem with one member of staff...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im a supervisor part time in quite a larger store and i'm left in charge of around about 10 staff.

One of the girls refuses to do anything, she's lazy, she's rude to customers, she takes about an hour and a half lunch (only suposed to have an hour), she does nothing i ask.i could go on....she's just unbelievable.

As her supervisor i should be able to say something to her about it yeah? But i can't, why? because she's Asian. she's worked there for about 3 years, the same as me and when ever she puts a foot wrong and someone, be it another supervisor or one of the manager, speaks to her about it, she plays the race card, dispite the fact we have other asian members of staff who work there and have never experienced any racism of any description.Therefore, she's become untouchable,

i can safely say, none of us are racist, i couldn't care less what colour she is or any of the staff pink purple orange, who cares? as long as the job is done at the end of the day? anyway, i've tried speaking to my store manager about it and she's basically told me no disiplinary action will be taken, because if they sack her, they are afraid that she'll claim it was racist and cause all sorts of trouble.

So what am i supposed to do? This is girl is taking the piss, everyone pulls their weight and she gets away with murder. It's the injustice of it all. extremely fustrating. so anyone got any advice? before i blow my top and just quit my job to work for a company thats not afraid of a girl with an attitude problem?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm no expert in employment law, but surely it's up to her to prove that any disclipinary procedure you take against her is racist??

Have you issued any written warnings?
    She has to show that her treatment was racist.

If you do everything by the book then you will be safe in an employment tribunal. She can whitter on about race as much as she wants, if you do everything by the book then the company will be safe.

I would suggest talking with your superiors.
    It's up to you and your supervisors to deal with the issue professionally - i.e. go through the correct channels and procedures and have enough proof of the things she is doing that are jeopardising her position in the company. I'd imagine it would start with a meeting invloving the girl, you and your manager oficially outlining the problems you have with her work. If she does not improve you can issue a formal warning etc.

Check out this discrimination at work feature, and The commission for racial equality - both are more aimed at the other point of view, but will give you an idea of the rights involved.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Hi

Thanks for the advice.I've already spoken to my superiors, other than talking to someone in head office i dont see any other options. I've tried pointing out to my managers about how she would have to prove any racism but basically they can't be bothered with the hassle, that's how its coming across anyway. So in the mean time i have to go insane with fustration whilst trying to make everyone else feel better about the situation.

Thanks again.X.
    I'd start with the lunch time thing you can't dispute time, when she leaves at 1pm for lunch say to her we'll see you back at 2pm, if she's late give her a written warning.

Can't see how the race card can be played, you don't actually have to sack hr just put the fear into her.