Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fat Kids

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tackling childhood obesity has come to light, with the suggestion of banned TV adverts for food aimed at children. For example, MacDonalds and their cute cartoony campaigns, or pop stars and famous people advertising for example, Walkers crisps....

So Ok... the point of the thread...

Do you think TV advertising encourages kids to want to live off sweets and fatty "food" from places like Burger King? Should they be banned? or should the parents be more responsible in feeding their children healthy food.

Is it me, or does it seem cheaper to buy unhealthy food anyway?

What about a 'fat tax' put on foods?

Why is it kids are getting fatter?

Comments

• Options
    It is down to the parents in my opinion. I was never fat as a child because I was always encouraged to play outdoors, and my mum took me to gymnastics. I always ate proper meals too - McDonalds just wasn't something I was interested in as mum always took the time to prepare good homecooked food including lots of veg (and she still worked full time!). However, when I hit 12/13 I totally ballooned in size because I was bored - there was nothing to do. I was at the age where I couldn't 'play out' anymore and I had loads of school work to do (I was a swat!) and also at the age where I didn't want to listen to my mum when she told me not to eat crap!

Having said that, these days some parents are reluctant to encourage their kids to play out because of fear for their safety. Shame really. Also parents these days seem to have less time on their hands, people work full time and look to ready meals and fast food to feed their kids, the same way they look to The Fimbles to entertain their kids. Perhaps it all boils down to good parenting?

As for those companies, they're just trying to make money which is the aim of all businesses. More socially aware firms are trying to encourage healthy eating. Even McDonalds has a salad range (although I've read the calorie and fat contents are just as high than the rest of their food)
  • Options
    It’s down to parents completely. I blame parents 100%. Parents that allow their children to become obese through lack of exercise and poor diet are in effect abusing their kids.

Also, the way people talk about obesity in young people it is as if a huge percentage of people are obese/overweight…I don’t know anybody my age (I’m 16) who is obese, I know some people who are a little fat perhaps but I don’t know many obese kids…I think the media exaggerates this obesity thing…or maybe it varies between different areas.
  • Options
    i think it is a simple matter of eating to much and eating almost all day long.
    this snack culture ...we are not grazing animals but thats what snacking turns you into ...a grazer ...happily mucnching away the time between meals.
    there realy is no need to consume the ammount of food that modern people consume.
    you never saw fat people coming out of a concentration camp ...turns out they all had the same size bones after all!
  • Options
    I think a large factor is the fact that the kids are seeing people they see as idols with the food, like their favourite pop stars or whatever. Another factor with Burger King and McDonalds is the fact that kids meals come with a free toy, and usually it's from a popular kids tv programme, or cartoon. And of course, once they get one toy, they'll want to go back to collect all the rest.

I think the parents need to be more responsible though, as they do not worry about giving their kids healthy food, they have to encourage this from an early age so the children grow to like the food, rather than preferring Burger King to say, a salad sandwhich and a drink of orange juice.
  • Options
    i don't think it's anything to do with the food.

we ate the same type of crap when i was a kid. only we burnt it off cause we couldn't afford such hi-tech stuff as consoles and TVs, so we went out and played, and ran and climbed trees and burnt off some calories instead of sitting on our arses all day.

kids always want what is bad for them. the kids of today are no different. they're just really inactive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

we ate the same type of crap when i was a kid. only we burnt it off cause we couldn't afford such hi-tech stuff as consoles and TVs, so we went out and played, and ran and climbed trees and burnt off some calories instead of sitting on our arses all day.

kids always want what is bad for them. the kids of today are no different. they're just really inactive.

I agree. Although kids sitting in all day eating carrott sticks would probably be alot thinner than those eating crisps, the real problem is the lack of activity. Kids are most likely to be sat indoors with their tv's and ps2's, 10 years ago they just didn't do that.
    Kids are encouraged to grow up so fast, the amount of homework given to an 11 year old is ridicolous. When I was 11 homework was near to unheard of, bar a weekly spelling test, and that weren't all that long ago.
    The homework is a major fact in that kids will be sat indoors working, and when taking breaks or when they've finished it's much easier to turn on the tv or just too late to play outside.
    Junk food isn't the problem in obesity, only in general overall health. The government needs to encourage kids to get off their asse's and playing as they used too, not stop a companies rights to advertise.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

I'm not sure I agree. 15 years ago there was still TV and Sega Megadrives to occupy kids, but it was just that they were actively encouraged to go out more. I think it has a lot to do with consumer culture defining who you are - kids these days have to have the lastest everything to be 'cool' which is sad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    - kids these days have to have the lastest everything
    even when it's chocabloc full of fat and sugar and god knows what else.
    compared with when i was a kid ...the eating habits of today are disgusting ...it's child abuse in a way.
    killing through kindness ...
  • Options
    To blame the food is to miss the point completely.

It's not a widely-reported statistic, but people are eating 750kCal (approx) per day LESS than in 1955. They are burning off 1100kCal (approx) less than in 1955, however.

That indicates one thing: lack of exercise. Kids are getting fat because they get driven to and from school, and when they get home they have 46 hours of homework to get through. Then they go and play on a football console game instead of playing football.

And, of course, the local council has sold off the playing fields to build executive housing, so there is nowhere to play football anyway. That is assuming that the mother doesn't have the child on a three-foot-long leash, just to protect him from paedophiles.

And PE at school is down to one hour a week, and unless you are David Beckham the PE teachers don't want to encourage you to play because they can't be arsed to make you any good. So you just walk around because it's easier than getting laughed at by the teacher because you can't kick a ball straight.

It's very easy to blame McDonald's for kids getting fat, but one McDonald's every week is not going to do you any harm. The reason why kids are getting fat is because they won't do any exercise, and they aren't made to anymore, and aren't encouraged to anymore.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    compared with when i was a kid ...the eating habits of today are disgusting

Go and look at how much fat is in a Roast Dinner. It's surprisingly high.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Go and look at how much fat is in a Roast Dinner. It's surprisingly high.
    i'm allowed ...and it's only once a week ...usualy.
  • Options
    A "fat tax" would, as always, just penalise the poor at the expense of the rich.

Make fresh fruit and vegatables the same price as crisps and chocolate and chips and people will buy it. The fact is that it is cheaper to buy a box of value fish fingers, a can of value beans and a bag of value chips, and if money is tight that is what you will do. People don't need education on hjow to eat "healthily", they need tio be able to afford to do so.

They do need to be taught how to cook though. Home Economics lessons now are about making vegan carrot cake and a five-course meal for a diabetic, which is all very noble in itself but not much use to somebody who doesn't know how to prepare a meal so that the meat and veg is ready at the same time. And that's assuming your school even teaches home ec- most don't.

If people don't know how to cook they are reliant on frozen food and ready meals, which are laden with salt and fat. It is possible to eat healthily and cheaply if you know what you are doing (although even then its still cheaper to eat crap), but unless you know how to fillet your own fish, for instance, then you can't.
  • Options
    i'm allowed ...and it's only once a week ...usualy.

Definitely. When we have a roast it's the only meal we'll have all day.

But it's certainly not healthy:)
  • Options
    Definitely. When we have a roast it's the only meal we'll have all day.

But it's certainly not healthy:)
    with it being sunday an all ...i had a big cooked breakfast as well ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    15 years ago there was still TV and Sega Megadrives to occupy kids, but it was just that they were actively encouraged to go out more.

yeah, there were, but our family couldn't afford anything other than the one family TV. which my parents used to watch crap programs we weren't interested in. so we went out.

these days it's all so cheap, and interest free credit, and the kids have a TV in every room.

also there was more of a culture of playing out. most of the friends i had when i was little, i never even went inside their house. we played out in the garden, or if they were posh and lived in a cul-de-sac, we played out in the street. if we were really lucky, a parent might drive us to the swimming baths.

you don't get that as much these days. although, it does still happen.
  • Options
    yeh lots of people expect to eat when they want to, i used to have a set dinner time when younger so i knew not to snack beforehand as my mum expected me to eat it all, and i did, as it was grreat

ready meals are a result of that

fresh food can be cheap but you have to buy the actual veg looking rough, and use it once so it dont go bad, so it means cooking for fmaily, but lots of families these days are pushed for time due to parents both working etc so they cant be bothered to cook, and children dont know how to cook

result - nasty ready food, i cant even eat the stuff now, even though ym mum expects me to eat it so i buy my own food
  • Options
    I have to say I disagree with Kermit re: home economics lessons. Sure, when you do a GCSE in the subject you have to design a meal for a diabetic / vegan etc but you also have to physically learn and demonstrate the skills to do that (E.g. Cutting, peeling, use of the oven, time management, using food processor, the list is endless).
  • Options
    you learn it for industry though, not for home cooking

not once did i have to make an entire meal
  • Options
    i'm lucky realy ...for some reason or another i've always been into food and cooking.
    when i was about 8 ...a family crisis was happening of some sort ...hospitals etc etc ...i was starving and decided to cook for me and my sisters ...i made an ommelette but had never seen one before. i was convinced for a couple of years that i had invented the thing ...
    peeling and using the oven ...i can't remember anyone teaching me anything remotely like that apart from cubs and cadets.
    cooking and eating is a joy ...for us slim people that is ...
  • Options
    A "fat tax" would, as always, just penalise the poor at the expense of the rich.

Er fair enough. I don't see where the poor/rich thing comes in though. But, I oppose a fat tax anyway.

Make fresh fruit and vegatables the same price as crisps and chocolate and chips and people will buy it. The fact is that it is cheaper to buy a box of value fish fingers, a can of value beans and a bag of value chips, and if money is tight that is what you will do. People don't need education on hjow to eat "healthily", they need tio be able to afford to do so.

That’s absolute rubbish. Anybody who can afford crisps, chocolate and chips can afford fruit and veg. Also, your explanation holds absolutely no ground given that poverty has decreased, people’s disposable incomes have increased and obesity has increased! The excuse that people buy fast food, convenience food and unhealthy foods because they are cheap doesn’t work given that such foods often aren’t even that cheap! For a mum and her 2 kids to eat at McDonalds she could probably spend about a tenner.

Go to Tescos (if your left wing beliefs allow you to go to a large multinational supermarket) and you’ll see that fruit and veg is cheap. We’re talking about apples, bannans, carrots, peas, etc here not caviar. Oh and tap water whilst much more healthy is also a LOT cheaper than the Coke and other fizzy drinks these ‘poor’ obese people guzzle.

It doesn’t come down to how much money people have. It comes down to education. Teach kids at school that they need to eat fruit and veg and drink water and drum it into them from an early age and things will get better.

Still people have gotta take responsibility for their own state and stop blaming others. If your obese it’s because YOU eat too much/eat a poor diet. If your kids are obese it’s because YOU failed to get them to exercise and eat a decent diet.
  • Options
    McDonald's isn't even the issue, it is a convenient whipping-boy. People don't have every meal there, most people probably have one a week if they go there regularly.

To say fresh fruit and veg is cheap is wrong in many cases. A pound of potatoes at Tesco costs almost double what a pound of value frying chips costs, a huge bar of value choloiate is about 40p. You can get about 2 apples for that.

Education does play a big role in making people eat more healthily, of course it does. But a lot of fresh healthy food is expensive- fresh fish is expensive compared to fish fingers, say.
  • Options

a huge bar of value choloiate is about 40p. You can get about 2 apples for that.

proving that for 40p there is the healthier option of fruit.
    ...and you get TWO of them!
  • Options
    proving that for 40p there is the healthier option of fruit.
    ...and you get TWO of them!

*sigh*
  • Options
    Im glad this topic come up because we watched a programme last week about people who were overweight ( I only caught the last 10/15 mins though).
    Anyways they showed the family all the crap that they ate in a week and it was unbeleivable. They talked about their poos as well.........apparently it says a lot about your diet............sorry lol.

So anyways the 3 of us were sat there and our Becks whose 8 was realy engrossed, so I says thats it, from now on we are eating healthy foods. She kinda looked at me as if to say 'SHIT'. We normally eat healthy foods but we do also have not so healthy foods i.e fry ups cos we like them. For the last 4 days or so i think we have done pretty well and eating healthy foods doesent always mean expense. I bought a fresh chicken, we had chicken, new potatoes, cauli and carrots for tea and there was enough chicken left to have a sandwich later on.........the chicken only cost me approx 2.50 cos they were on offer so if you shop about it doesent have to be expensive. Also salads are a cheap meal so thats what we are doing but having the odd treat here and there as you have to have a little bit of junk food.
    Ive also invested in a health grill, well it aint arrived yet but hopefully next week it will be here so hopefully in a few weeks time we will feel the benefit of eating healthily :D

Everyone should eat healthy, its good for yoy lol
  • Options
    But a lot of fresh healthy food is expensive- fresh fish is expensive compared to fish fingers, say.

thats cause theres probably fish offal in the fish fingers instead of proper fish meat
  • Options
    One thing that does my nut in, we're always getting calls from petty people about kids playing football in the street.
    They think that because there has been a clampdown on anti-social behaviour we're going to turn out and tell a bunch of 8 year olds, who are quite rightly enjoying their childhood to leave and play somewhere else.
    Never.
    Whenever I see them I just stop and have a chat, warn them to be careful of cars and then walk off, as do the rest of us.
    I then stick 2 fingers up at the old bat who called us (nah I don't.)

But it's busy bodies like that who are not helping.

As a positive thing, since we got the authorisation to disperse groups from the field near the precinct it's now filled up with kids playing and having a good time.
    Many of them will be outside till late just playing around. I think more people should be encouraged to do that.
  • Options
    yep its all good i remember when i was 13 i just spent all day down park every day during summer holidays, playing football until you could hardly see the ball, im only 19 now, and i hardly see anyone playing out...

my mum was very light though, from the age of 8 as long as i told her where i was going and when ill be back and who i was with, i could go park :D whilst some of my mates werent allowed out on their own accord until they were 13/14 and then they just abused and were not very careful whilst i still tell my mum where i am, just in case she needs to get hold of me for some reason, same method, different reasons
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    thats cause theres probably fish offal in the fish fingers instead of proper fish meat

Yes, but that's not the point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    One thing that does my nut in, we're always getting calls from petty people about kids playing football in the street.
    They think that because there has been a clampdown on anti-social behaviour we're going to turn out and tell a bunch of 8 year olds, who are quite rightly enjoying their childhood to leave and play somewhere else.
    Never.

that bothers me as well.

and also when groups of kids on skateboards and bikes are in the paper under headlines like: 'skate menance kids in granny fally-over death'. fair enough if they're causing havoc, but 9 times out of ten, a gang of kids on skateboards are just hanging round, having a laugh, and god forbid, getting some exercise and fresh air.

the latest one in my area is the council going spare over mountain biking kids in the local woods. like pardon them. would they prefer they were out robbing cars and assaulting old people? i didn't think so.
  • Options
    Burger King and McDonalds are very healthy food. I like it and I’m not fat ( skinny rather…). That campaign against fast food is organised by crazy greenies and greedy lawyers to get millions from companies that serve their clients best. To understand absurdity of their claims go to any poor country and look at children. You can see lots of fat children for whom McDonalds is an unbelievable dream… sigh… you’ll never understand.
    PS To Kermit. To teach kids eating vegan carrot cakes? OMG! It’s soooo disgusting! I’d rather swallow an alive toad.