Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

job problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been working as an office administrator for over a year but I'm not enjoying it now. Largely because I don't fully understand my duties.

What I mean by that is my boss tells me that something should be part of my job, when I didn't realise that it was from the start. For example, when I started there I didn't have to maintain the company website. Now he tells me that it's my responsibility to do.

From my perspective, I feel I should have been given full training in relation to office administrative duties from the beginning. When I started, I didn't even know what being an office administrator entailed. Am I wrong in feeling this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're supposed to be given a job description when you start a new job, or there is at least supposed to be one on offer...I've always had to ask for one, but never been refused.

This should detail your job title, duties, hours and rate of pay. Any duties not included on there are done at your discretion only, and arguably you should be paid extra for (although this varies, and usually people are willing to do more when asked). If you aren't happy I suggest you ask for your job description to be laid on the line, so you can see what your job entails and then if you're unhappy with the extras you're being asked for (if things like the company website are not included for instance) you can bring this up.

Ultimately, if you're unhappy the best solution isn't to put up and shut up. Express your feelings and the way they handle it will help you to see if you want to work through this and stay, or leave and look for other employment.

Good luck! :)

ETA: No you're not wrong in feeling like this, totally right.