Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question about the "power" of the Military

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bare in mind, i do not support wars, as in any war. I dont support the world leaders of this time, and i do not support Weapons of man.

But.........I was just wondering, do the "United States" have the most strongest military force on the earth?

I was thinking and from the looks of it, N.Korean looks to be the strongest, i was also thinking that the USA Is the most powerful, even with the 900 and more deaths of soldiers, i am guessing its like a billion usa soliders in the military, right?

Im confused......

Comments

• Options
    Re: Question about the "power" of the Military
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah
    i am guessing its like a billion usa soliders in the military, right?
    I don't even think they have a population of a billion let alone a billion in the military!
  • Options
    The population of american isn't even a billion people. Last time I checked only China and India had such high populations.

The USA may have the largest standing army, but could be challenged by the Chinese forces. But the United Kingdom has the most highly trained and effective fighting force on the planet at this time.

Wars aren't fun, but I'm proud of the standards that the RAF, Army and Navy generally keep.
  • Options
    Sadly your RAF and SAS end up being target practice for our cowboys when in a theatre of conflict together. Maybe the UK should train its soldiers to operate as far from possible from any US units and to duck if they spot us coming. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Sadly your RAF and SAS end up being target practice for our cowboys when in a theatre of conflict together. Maybe the UK should train its soldiers to operate as far from possible from any US units and to duck if they spot us coming. lol.

lol, yeah, is a shame that...

I don't understand how the US insist on shooting at us though...
  • Options
    Don't want to share the glory perhaps ;)
  • Options
    Dont kid yourself, no country on earth has even the remotest chance of defeating America in a war.

Theyve got the tech, the cash, the manpower, the bases, the influence.

Hell, one US aircraft carrier battle group could probably defeat all of Europes navies combined in a battle.

As for China, their equipment is antiquated Soviet era stuff. Number of troops does not make up for being 50 years behind technologically these days.
  • Options
    war tomorrow ...will be fought electronicaly and economicaly ...in the morning that is.
    with a few diseases thrown in ...it's just so fucking passe this guns and bullets stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    war tomorrow ...will be fought electronicaly and economicaly ...in the morning that is.
    with a few diseases thrown in ...it's just so fucking passe this guns and bullets stuff.

What's this, the Right Honorable Moroccan Roll and Geoffrey Hoon seeing eye to eye on an issue?

Or am I yet another person to misinterpret the distinct brand of humour/sarcasm which we all love?
  • Options
    Also i was wondering is the 900 soliders dying really a big deal, in a way where "the usa is losing this iraq war"?

Most of the deaths in iraq arent even cause by iraq's, its cause by heli crashing, or road side bombs?

Again i dont support the wars, im just curious on some issues dealing with this war and for some reason, it would be good if everybody could go home and everything will be peacefu over there, but im dreaming i guess.

ahhaha
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah
    Also i was wondering is the 900 soliders dying really a big deal,

not at all, and I am sure their families feel the same

:rolleyes:

of course its a big deal, any unnecessary death is a big deal
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Dont kid yourself, no country on earth has even the remotest chance of defeating America in a war.

Ho may disagree with you there.

You may not beat them on the battlefield, but wars aren't just fought by soldiers. Politicians are also involved and if you can make life uncomfortable for them...
  • Options
  • Options
    As for China, their equipment is antiquated Soviet era stuff. Number of troops does not make up for being 50 years behind technologically these days.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Yes, the vast majority of their stuff but they are doing lots of research and because of the weapons boycott from there, they've never sold these weapons so who knows what the chinese have up their sleeve? Project 863, apparently they're developing nanoweapons which would target nukes so that America loses it's defensive shield..
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    This is me wishing I paid more attention in lectures.

I'm pretty sure that we were told that an invasive force had never defeated a "freedom fighter"/ terrorist organisation, and were most unlikely to in the future. Therefore I would suggest that although the americans can subdue other military opposition, they are unable to win a war against actual people.

What about the Native American Indians?
  • Options
    In a conventional war the US would beat any country in the world that opposed it. That is to say- destroy other people's armed forces and infrastructures and obtain total military supremacy.

Another issue would be whether the US could invade and successfully occupy any country it wanted. The answer to that is clearly no. They're already struggling and stretched to their limits by Iraq. They could hardly manage anything bigger or more complex.

So short of killing everyone in the country, the US can do little to control other countries' resources and land- and thank fuck for that!

The only way to possibly defeat the US in a conventional war would be a great alliance. But it would take every other country in the West and a few others in the Middle and Far East to achieve this.

In a nuclear war there would be no winners. There are a few nations capable of obliterating the United States, chiefly Russia, but the US would in turn would destroy the said nations with its own arsenal. M.A.D. still applies.

Unfortunately the scumbag currently sitting in the White House continues to promote a new nuclear arms race by its policy of aggression. North Korea has all but secured its integrity by acquiring nuclear capability as Bush hasn’t got the balls to attempt regime change there. Who can blame Iran for trying to procure its own nuclear weapons now? It is the only way a nation can protect itself today against the American Empire…
  • Options
    Also i was wondering is the 900 soliders dying really a big deal

No, it isnt, neither is 10,000 civilian deaths in a country of 22 million. In the larger scheme of strategic issues these are acceptable losses. To change a region of the world for the better, they most certainly are.
    Ho may disagree with you there.

Vietnam , correct? The American military never lost the Vietnam war, they lost it in Washington due to the cowardice of the political elite. The US destroyed the Tet offensive, and with 100,000 extra troops they could have coonquered the North and secured it against communism.
    , apparently they're developing nanoweapons which would target nukes so that America loses it's defensive shield..

Looks interesting, im sure we'll see them in about 200 years. In Americas hands first of course. Half of all scientific research and development is done in te United States.
    they are unable to win a war against actual people.

I disagree, they conquered Germany and Japan and essentially rebuilt these countries in their own image. With enough resources and time they could do this to any country. But thats just it , time, the American democratic process is obsessed wi9th short term results, this means it will be very difficult for any adminstration to make some real changes in the world.
    The answer to that is clearly no. They're already struggling and stretched to their limits by Iraq. They could hardly manage anything bigger or more complex.

They have successfully occupied Iraq, the fact that theyve lost only 900 soldiers in 2 years testafies to this.
    The original war showed the awesome power of Americas lmilitary.
    and thank fuck for that!

I can think of many countries which would be a lot better off under American occupation, Sudan for example. But I suppose your constant anti-american ideology would mean you didnt want the starving peasents to be infected with capitalist ideas.
    The only way to possibly defeat the US in a conventional war would be a great alliance.

Working on one right now are you? Even with the rest of the world against them, America would stll win. I dont think you understand the extent of their dominance.
  • Options
    Vietnam , correct? The American military never lost the Vietnam war, they lost it in Washington due to the cowardice of the political elite. The US destroyed the Tet offensive, and with 100,000 extra troops they could have coonquered the North and secured it against communism.

Erm, I think that's what I said.

Wars aren't just fought on the battlefield. There is a political element too.

In fact, if the politicians listened to the experts - i.e. the armed forces, then things would have been different in Vietnam, Iraq and countless other wars.

It is possible to win a war - as Ho proved - without actually winning a battle.
  • Options

They have successfully occupied Iraq, the fact that theyve lost only 900 soldiers in 2 years testafies to this.
    The original war showed the awesome power of Americas lmilitary.
    The only 'success' has been that they have not been kicked out of the country yet. Their grip on Iraq, especially concerning law and order and the running of infrastructures is extremely poor. If they're struggling so much with Iraq I dread to think how they'd manage elsewhere- especially if they had to look after more than two or three countries at the same time...

I can think of many countries which would be a lot better off under American occupation, Sudan for example. But I suppose your constant anti-american ideology would mean you didnt want the starving peasents to be infected with capitalist ideas.
    Funnily enough America would be a lot better off under UN occupation, until the evil forces of neo-con Republicanism and PNAC subscribers were rooted out permanently.

Do you actually see the occupation of Iraq as a success? :lol:

Working on one right now are you? Even with the rest of the world against them, America would stll win. I dont think you understand the extent of their dominance.
    Oh dear, your blind devotion to your idols is blinding your judgement again...
  • Options
    Looks interesting, im sure we'll see them in about 200 years. In Americas hands first of course. Half of all scientific research and development is done in te United States.

actually the bulk of genetic engineering research is done in china if im correct

and they doin it on a large animals too i believe which the western world is is reluctant to do
  • Options
    At the rate we Americans consume oil, one need only cut the taps and even our technically superior military aparatus would inevitably come grinding to a halt. One need not, as MoK, even have to gain battlefield victory, guerilla warfare has proven itself capable of trashing morale and upsetting even the finest strategic planning.

Matadore, you are more of a flag waver than most American rednecks which is utterly disturbing to say the least given that you aren't even a US citizen.

Where you get the idea that our capabilities enable a single nation which comprises a mere 5% of the total world population to not only hold its own but actually succeed against a determined opposition by the remaining 95% is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    They have successfully occupied Iraq, The original war showed the awesome power of Americas lmilitary.

not what i saw ...not what i see right now.
    the great american war machine conquered afghanistan first ...no it didn't ...no one has ever conquered that country though many have tried.
    the greatest war machine in history stormed the capital city. they took one city.
    the war lords still rule. now free to produce the biggest opium harvest in history!
    women outside of kabul ...nothings changed except in some places it just got worse.
    the machine then headed for iraq ...and again basicaly took one city. before the arrival of this awsome world power there was law and order in iraq and little or no terrorism ...the place is now bedlam.
    so ...this greatest of war machines is ...how great?
  • Options
    Where you get the idea that our capabilities enable a single nation which comprises a mere 5% of the total world population to not only hold its own but actually succeed against a determined opposition by the remaining 95% is anyone's guess.

Especially since half of America's enemies seem to be inside America itself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Especially since half of America's enemies seem to be inside America itself.
    do you realy believe that?
  • Options
    Actually the greatest enemies to my country and its founding principles are the neo-con lunatics which have hijacked our political system and our military to serve their avaricious profiteering and their Likhudnik friends.
  • Options
    Actually the greatest enemies to my country and its founding principles are the neo-con lunatics which have hijacked our political system and our military to serve their avaricious profiteering and their Likhudnik friends.
    the american century aye?
    looks quite depressing on the whole.
    what happened to rock n roll then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    do you realy believe that?

I didn't mean terrorists, but America has political parties all wanting their say, and the Army, Air Force and Navy all wanting their say, and just generally everyone wanting to be the top dog!
  • Options
    From what I've seen and learnt, American troops rely far too much on technology and equipment.
    The average American soldier or Pilot would not stand a chance against a European counterpart. Our troops are trained for mobile and guerilla warfare, thanks largely in part to the threat of Soviet attack.
    After the attack our troops would have to rely on themselves for support.
    Can you imagine an American squad surviving without air support?

Yes, as long as America has it's carrier battle groups, a conventional attack on the US would probably fail. But once you're past them, whats going to stop you? The national guard? Lol.
    We've all seen the calibre of America's "home army", producing greats like George Bush and Jennie England.

Look at past evidence. An inability to identify a target before shooting? An inability to survive on the ground for longer than 24 hours without support from higher up?
    And a total inability to keep order in one of the LEAST technologically advanced nations on Earth.

As for the US being able to launch a conventional attack on a Western nation? The idea is laughable.
    European Tanks and aircraft are superior in terms of firepower and armour to American equivalents, are tactical ability would mean all the Americans could do is sit off the coast launching cruise missiles at us.
  • Options
    is the german army as skilled as it used to be? cause they were the first modern army with skill and training, only bad political leadership led to them losing their past wars

if iwas to take command of any army, id pick the 1939 german army, you could conquer the world with it :p

/power mad episode

i must agree though the US Army is too reliant on air support these days, and their soldiers lack training in anything other than shooting without looking, unlike the UK army which may be small, and have quite crappy guns etc, but we well trained in all sorts of warfare, and in peace keeping too :) which im proud of no matter what of the decision to go to iraq in first place - we was doing a good job in basra in iraq, and our soldiers were actually doing us proud, helping civilians out, not wearing sunglasses, if it werent for our ally cough cough USA
  • Options
    In terms of training the German Army is on a par with our own. We do lots of training with them, joint exercises e.t.c. Although we do have more experience.

As for a 1939 army? I'd use the British one, we managed to beat back superior numbers with inferior firepower.
  • Options
    hmmmm no their air force was killing our one as they had fully trained fighter pilots, whilst we had newbies, and we were on brink of all our airfields being destroyed, then gud ol hitler dicded to bomb london instead so we could build up our airfields again

and in 1940 hitler decided to personally intervene and stop a armourd division from going to a small port called dunkirk and blocking the B.A from getting back