Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I wrong?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Several years ago I started to become unwell as was admitted to hospital (for a psychiatric condition).

Now I am still suffering from symptoms but I want to become well again. I visit the consultant psychiatrist at the local hospital every few months but I cannot trust the advice of him or his staff. This is largely because a few years ago, they were telling me I must be more religious, yet never gave me a reason why (I'm an agnostic and don't have much time for religion and even I as someone who knows jack about psychiatry recognise that religious belief is NOT necessary for good mental health). What can I do to solve this? I have already seen a counsellor outside of the hospital but it's too expensive.

Also, within the past few months I've had feelings that people close to me are trying to cause her harm and injury. My dad tells me that I'm just imagining it, but he cannot offer any explanation for the things I tell him in regard to people wanting to harm me. He can't tell me why my mum seems to treat my brother more favourably then me (for some reason my mum thinks I should be of a certain character or personality and doesn't realise I am my own person. She doesn't expect that of my brother). Or why my dad would think that me not clearing my bedroom is a symptom of my illness when he allows my brother to do the same.

And another thing, I always now get the feeling that life is too difficult. I'm not generally an envious person, but other people around me (especially of my age) seem (to me anyhow) to have life easier. Everyone seems so happy whilst I seem to have nothing. I know that makes me sound depressed but I'm not really.

Am I wrong in thinking these things?

Comments

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better for quite a long time i felt like i was living in my sisters shadow. shes 8 years older than me, did really well at school (was head girl as well) was always carefull, did as she was told. i always felt like she was being treated better than me (probably was) but looking back i've realised that its because she earnt things, by getting good grades, being careful, basically treating our parents with respect, im not saying you dont do that but sometimes looking back on things after a while you tend to see life differently. i thought i was being treated really horribly and that my mum and dad didnt want me there, where in actual fact i was going out every night, getting pissed and coming back at all hours of the night (this is at 15) pretty much just having no respect for their rules, im lucky i have such forgiving parents really as they could have had reason to throw me out plenty of times..
    if your mum really does think you should be/act differently just be yourself and she will eventually realise that you are your own person, again about my sister i think my mum and dad were expecting me to grow up the same but i didnt really pay attention at school and messed around, they soon got the message.

the only advice i can give is either to just hang in there and hope for things to get better (you never know)
    or speak to your parents, tell them how you feel. im sure they will understand, and if they dont..well you havent lost anything have you!
  • Options
    Maybe, but I think it's deeper than simply being a 'rebel' in teenage years. When I was about 14 I used to go out a lot but by 16 and 17 I didn't.
  • Options
    well it is better for you to have something to believe in, but dont get me wrong im an atheist all the way, but if you can get really wrapped up in somethign like a favourite band, make it so you HAVE to have everything theyve made merchandise, cds, dvds, posters, go to all the gigs, become a memeber of the fanclub, learn how to play all the songs on guitar etc, thats what i do it keeps me sane.....well as sane as listening to megadeth, iron maiden, and led zeppelin all the time could keep you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by evil_dave
    well it is better for you to have something to believe in

Why can't you beleive in yourself? :)
  • Options
    believing in yourself is hard to do if you dont already if you know what i mean, its best to proove yourself ...to yourself :S

personal experience of course, its different for every1
  • Options
    Originally posted by evil_dave
    well it is better for you to have something to believe in, but dont get me wrong im an atheist all the way, but if you can get really wrapped up in somethign like a favourite band, make it so you HAVE to have everything theyve made merchandise, cds, dvds, posters, go to all the gigs, become a memeber of the fanclub, learn how to play all the songs on guitar etc, thats what i do it keeps me sane.....well as sane as listening to megadeth, iron maiden, and led zeppelin all the time could keep you.

Bullshit.

They fucked up and I won't stand for it.
  • Options
    You need to lose the attitude monocrat:)
  • Options
    Re: Am I wrong?
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd

And another thing, I always now get the feeling that life is too difficult. I'm not generally an envious person, but other people around me (especially of my age) seem (to me anyhow) to have life easier. Everyone seems so happy whilst I seem to have nothing. I know that makes me sound depressed but I'm not really.

no one's life is easy, it's just you dwelling on your life too much that everyone else's seems great, only you can make yourself happy, just chill out, go take a walk, look at things in perspective and clear your head.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Am I wrong?
    Originally posted by turlough
    no one's life is easy, it's just you dwelling on your life too much that everyone else's seems great, only you can make yourself happy, just chill out, go take a walk, look at things in perspective and clear your head.

I don't believe that.
  • Options
    Bullshit.

They fucked up and I won't stand for it.
    well fuck you then i was just trying to help.
  • Options
    :lol::)
  • Options
    :lol::)

No wonder your life stinks. Your attitude pongs just as much.

Ungrateful sod. Last time anyone gives you help.

How the hell you gonna establish any normal perspective if you won't deal with actual practicalities you've been given?!
  • Options
    Calm down you lot. KP you are the one who asked for advice at least respect the fact that these people are good enough to want to help you out instead of bringing down everything they say.

On another note here is a useful number that might be helpful to you. Its cheaper than outside counselling and it will give you a chance to express your feelings and get some useful feedback:
    SANELINE
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems. The service is open from 12 noon until 2am.
    Telephone: 0845 767 8000

Take care
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    No wonder your life stinks. Your attitude pongs just as much.

Ungrateful sod. Last time anyone gives you help.

How the hell you gonna establish any normal perspective if you won't deal with actual practicalities you've been given?!

Saying that I should 'listen to a heavy metal band' doesn't help[ me, hon!!

Amd what's this crap about practicalities?!
  • Options
    Saying that I should 'listen to a heavy metal band' doesn't help[ me, hon!!

Amd what's this crap about practicalities?!

you really are stupid, read his post again, he said believe in something that will keep you interested, heavey metal did it for him, he DIDN'T say you HAVE to listen to it, and be more kind please, people are trying to help you, you asked for it, if you don't agree with it then fine but don't say stuff like "bullshit".
  • Options
    Heh I doubt it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    you really are stupid, read his post again, he said believe in something that will keep you interested, heavey metal did it for him, he DIDN'T say you HAVE to listen to it, and be more kind please, people are trying to help you, you asked for it, if you don't agree with it then fine but don't say stuff like "bullshit".

just because you dont agree with it... dont say "bullshit".... he took the time to try and help... should be appreciated. He was trying to say...have something for you to be interested in. In future people will not want to help you if you respond in that way.
  • Options
    If you want to help me, make sure what you say is logical next time!:rolleyes: :lol:
  • Options
    Hello

I'm closing this thread-it's becoming a bit irrelevant. And I think everyone is a bit tired of having everything they say insulted or put down. KP if you want our help and advice we would love to give it to you. But if you just want a place to take out your frustrations on people who are genuinely showing concern, then you have come to the wrong place.

Take care and I hope things work out for you. Maybe try and be a little more open minded- sometimes the best advice comes from an outside point of view:)
This discussion has been closed.