Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friends from different cultures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,11374,1264179,00.html

"90% of whites have few or no friends from ethnic minorities"

Do you have friends of different backgrounds, or mostly the same as you? If so, why? It is because of where you live, common interests or other factors?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    i live in east london and my closest market is called bangla town, even by the bangadeshi community, and i have mates from all sorts of groups, they tend to be of the group which lives in that area, like at my old college in essex i had mainly white friends but at uni i have all sorts as we have lots of foreign students

it isnt racist to not have ethnic minority friends

on another note, does it really matter!? friends are friends :) *said like a hippy :p*
  • Options
  • Options
    especially cause the ethnic minorities in this country are concentrated in certain cities/towns too so some white people probably have never seen a asian person before, let alone spoke to one
  • Options
    My best friend in secondary school was Chinese and both her and her family rocked. Much politer and more hospitable than the majority of British people. Went to a party with a guy from South Africa after a 'hiphop' night in Wrexham (well... it was supposed to be a hiphop night, whatever the person's definition of hiphop may be) and he was also a real gentleman. Again, much politer and he seemed to respect women much more than the majority of British people I know.

I also had a guy who was Africaan in my classics class, lovely lad (very camp hehehe) and was out with him last night. Um... made friends with a South American family at Beltane (Mayday camp) and a Malasian family... again, lovely and happy people.

There aren't very many people of different cultures in Wrexham apart from Portugese immigrants who come over to work (and NEWI students, many of which who come from European countries as it's very accomodating) and Asylum Seekers.

My town is very racist and homophobic yeah, people read the Sun and swear like it's some sort of Biblical text. The squaddies and football fans are the scariest... what some of them are like... urgh... incredibly foul creatures :yuck:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

There aren't very many people of different cultures in the UK

I would have to disagree with that, in major cities anyway!
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I would have to disagree with that, in major cities anyway!

OOps, I meant to type 'In Wrexham" *blush* am gonna change that
  • Options
    I have no friends that are black, Asian or yellow. There's not many blacks, etc, in where I live apart from the towns near by.
  • Options
    Well I live in Leicester which is famously multi-cultural, but I live in the suburbs / rural areas where there are proportionally more whites than other ethnics because white people are by and large, richer. I do have some friends who aren't white, but we go to a predominantly white school (about 90% white I'd guess) so I think that's been a big influece. However the most significant divide I think is in the youth gangs (read: townies), they go around and sometimes they are all white or all black, sometimes they are mixed but it's not that common. Racial hatred is something a lot of people have unfortunately grown up with.

I would estimate that out of my friends at school, around 1/4 are non white.
  • Options
    I have quite a few friends from minorities. The largest group being of Chinese origin. Yes. I am in buckinghamshire by the way :(
  • Options
    At my school there are th black people, three mixed raced people, two Oriental people and about fifteen Asians. Everyone else (and the school has about 900 pupils) is white. The thing about North Staffordshire is that, outside Stoke, most non-whites are very well integrated. The Westlands, which is a part of Newcastle, has a ratio of 1:5 Asian families to white ones, but you won't find a single road which is completely Asian, but then it's a middle-to-upper middle class area.

The one black girl has gone out with all the black guys in school (both of them), so there are stupid things said about how she will only date "her own kind", but that's because I'm so great. Don't know the other guy's excuse though.

I have to admit, it's much easier to have a multi-ethnic group of friends when you are from an ethnic minority.
  • Options
    Ummm....my boyfriend's Scottish, does that count? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adelle
    Ummm....my boyfriend's Scottish, does that count? :confused:

:lol::D

For some reason that made me laugh out loud :eek2:
  • Options
    At primary school I had an Asian friend.

Other than that I've never ever had a friend of another race. I think it is circumstance. When I was at secondary school there was one black person in the whole school.
  • Options
    Yes. I am in buckinghamshire by the way

Why do you always mention this? Do you want sympathy because you live here or something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Why do you always mention this? Do you want sympathy because you live here or something?

Looking back....I have absolutely no idea why i mentioned it in this topic :eek2:

Maybe it is because of the grammar school system....or something...there were very few ethnic minority students at the school so i did not get a chance to meet them? Oh im too tired
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    At primary school I had an Asian friend.

Other than that I've never ever had a friend of another race. I think it is circumstance. When I was at secondary school there was one black person in the whole school.

Not many black people live in Washington, do they?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Not many black people live in Washington, do they?!

I didn't go to school in Washington, I went to school somewhere else. But no, not many black people did live in Washington. There are a few more now, not a lot, but they are obviously more noticable because there weren't any before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Guys.. what percentage of the population of your city would you say was racist?

Stoke errr I'd say 60% hold the view of Asians shouldn't be here.

:eek2:
  • Options
    I'd say Luke your estimation must be wide off the mark.

Because if it weren't Stoke would officially be the most repugnant and racist town in the free world.
  • Options
    LOL.
  • Options
    I have zero friends or relatives from ethnic minorities. I'm happy with things like that.

ETA: I actually slightly agree with Lukesh a tiny little bit. While people round here don't run around shooting ethnic minorities or taking extreme actions to get rid of them, you could ask the majority on the street what they thought of minorities and some of you would be quite shocked. The odd thing is is that the minorities are just as - if not more racist towards whites.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I have zero friends or relatives from ethnic minorities. I'm happy with things like that.

.....you could ask the majority on the street what they thought of minorities and some of you would be quite shocked. The odd thing is is that the minorities are just as - if not more racist towards whites.

:eek2: Don't you live in Dudley? One of the country's most diverse areas?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    :eek2: Don't you live in Dudley? One of the country's most diverse areas?

Indeed I do. But racism is quite a strong thing here, especially amongst teens and people in their early 20's. In fact, old people are by far the worst for it. That is why, much to my regret, when I signed up to this and saw how strong the views on racism were it was quite unexpected. I'd go as far to say it was confusing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    yes definitley. you from stoke?

No. I have relatives there and I go up regularly, but in many areas I've seen in the last 5 years I can only back-up what you've said.
  • Options
    Indeed I do. But racism is quite a strong thing here, especially amongst teens and people in their early 20's. In fact, old people are by far the worst for it.

Old people are always the worst, but there prejudice is much more understandable than that of young people.

When you say it's strong, does that result in there being very little mixing or there is mixing, but it is dissapproved of?
  • Options
    Generally, black people associate with black people. White people associate with white people. Asians associate with Asians. Pakistani with Pakistani, etc.

That's not to say that all of these groups hate each other, or that none of them associate with any other groups. When I say strong I mean compared to what (by the sounds of things) most of you are used to. Racism is often cause of violence around here, and some people just have cruel intentions towards you as soon as they see you're not the same as them.

People grow up from a young age to be the same.
  • Options
    Generally, black people associate with black people. White people associate with white people. Asians associate with Asians. Pakistani with Pakistani, etc.

That's not to say that all of these groups hate each other, or that none of them associate with any other groups. When I say strong I mean compared to what (by the sounds of things) most of you are used to. Racism is often cause of violence around here, and some people just have cruel intentions towards you as soon as they see you're not the same as them.

People grow up from a young age to be the same.

At my school there seem to be more blacks who are friends with whites than Asians who are…I don’t know if that’s just my school…

I have Asian, black, white and Jewish friends though. :) I couldn't really care what somebody's background is, just accept people for who they are... We have problems here but I'd say that London is diverse whilst at the same time being generally very tolerant...
  • Options
    living where i do ...i get to nock about with taffs and scousers.
    when in manchester ...the white and west indian comunity drink and work well together while the irish and asian families do the same together ...don't ask me why.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    living where i do ...i get to nock about with taffs and scousers.
    when in manchester ...the white and west indian comunity drink and work well together while the irish and asian families do the same together ...don't ask me why.

Where in Manchester though? Oldham is in Manchester, and that is a very segregated area.